1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's official - J.J. Abrams is directing. Michael Arndt is writing a screenplay. Both seem like rather safe, but good choices.

Abrams is still working on Star Trek, but after he is done with it we should finally get some info about possible casting choices. Interesting enough rumors say that Matthew Vaughn, who was also considered as a director, wanted Chloe Moretz to be the lead. Probably not going to happen now, but I would still like to see her as some kick ass Jedi. ;)

2. meev

meev Groundskeeper

All of that sound horrible to me, but I suppose after the prequels and Clone Wars it's not like it's going downhill or anything.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I cautiously optimistic IF it's something completely unrelated to the previous plot points. If it tries to be some sort of sequel/prequel, I have no interest. If it's a standalone movie in the Star Wars universe, it could be done really well.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Working on both Star Trek and Star Wars? That's like, heresy or something.

Well I'll have an interest either way, but I think I'd lean towards starting something new as well. The Star Wars universe is big, and there's more to work with than Luke Skywalker and co.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Admit it. We're all going to see it.

6. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This, basically. We'll all see it. We may pan it after, we may bitch about it for weeks. Months. But we'll see it.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It really is a weird thing that he works on both, Star Trek and Star Wars. That disturbs me more than anything, for solely shallow and meaningless reasons.

IT JUST ISN'T RIGHT!

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Except what Abrams did with Star Trek was make it a cookie cutter blockbuster action flick in space. Let's not delude ourselves that it was a Star Trek film. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but it had retarded science (even more than "Aim the deflector dish at blah and fire a blah beam and that will reverse the polarity of blah.") and amazing action scenes.

Remind you of something? Star Wars. Star Trek was always about exploration and science and looking at crazy shit in space, Star Wars was always about, you know, wars. I think Abrams is perfect for the new Star Wars film.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I don't, Star Wars has always been a space Opera, Abrams is more dark mystery ala LOST. I dont think he can pull off the right theme and still keep the heart of Wars alive.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The heart of Star Wars died with Jar Jar Binks. I'll take anything as long as it doesn't involve him.

11. Celestin

Did you see his Star Trek? Tell me that it doesn't have a tone that would be perfect for Star Wars as well.

12. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

With the technology we have nowadays if I don't see an uber - and I mean uber - lightsaber battle there's gonna be problems. Parts of Anakins and Obi-Wans in RotS was epic, but most was just them running around a volcano like idiots.

13. Celestin

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That trailer on a loop would be better than any film that is going to come out :/

I would be really, really fine with those guys making the next movie. Would watch the shit out of it, in fact.

Never played the Old Republic but those three trailers were glorious.

15. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Same. I heard Old Republic was so bad they had to make it F2P

16. Inert

Inert Headmaster

I'd personally like to see some Old Republic action. Some classic Jedi vs. Sith battles as the Jedi try to finally bring peace to the Republic after years of warring. But, unlike the prequels, it should actually be a war movie (which is something entirely missed in the Clone Wars which I think are filled with potential). No shoddy romance, babies, and mediocre manipulations. Just a bunch of Jedi on a mission to end a war and bring peace.

With epic lightsaber battles.

17. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Sure the plot lacked depth but the characters/actors were perfect and it didn't feel like an overlong TV movie as every Star Trek movie before. Even Star Trek 6 which has always been my favorite has aged horrible. Utopia and cheesy morality tales don't make good entertainment.

After the epic meltdown of the last 3 Star Wars movies even Uwe Boll couldn't produce worse. Ok, maybe that's a bit far fetched but him and late Lucas are brothers in spirit:fire

18. Celestin

I disagree. A good entertainment has very little with a setting and more with how well you are able to use it.

19. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Hell, they should just turn it over to the guys who made those trailers. Let them do a full-fledged movie in that style. I know I'd watch the shit out of it.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Agreed. It's not like I was in love with TOS... or, in fact, any Trek series aside from Next Generation, but Abrams's Trek felt very much like a generic space action movie.

Eh... I'm not so sure about that second point. There are a lot of action films out there that aren't Star Wars, and they don't feel like Star Wars, the same way Abrams didn't truly capture the feel of Trek.

Can J.J. Abrams do for Star Wars what he did for Star Trek? And should he?