1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars - Extended Universe Discussion

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by mknote, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Using Monty Python to break the ice, nice.

ZOMG ANOTHER STAR WARS EU READER! Just a note, I worship at Thrawn's alter. I read the Legacy of the Force series, and you aren't missing much. As far as I'm concerned, the EU ended at the end of The Unifying Force.

Well, you seem like a great guy. You enjoy the oft overlooked Star Wars EU, you seem intelligent, you have a decent sense of humor... No, you get a very warm welcome for me, good sir. The only flaws I see are auto-H/G hate and a seeming dislike of A.P.W.B.D. Tell me, what are your thoughts about my second-favorite character, Ron? Also, what are you planning on doing in your life?

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dark Nest isn't bad, although I freely admit that I'm a little biased due to them finally doing something decent with the Jacen/Tenel Ka pairing. Shame they utterly butchered his character in Legacy...that could have been really interesting if they'd stuck with the idea of a benevolent Sith. Ah well.

But yeah, Thrawn is badass.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're a dumbass. Thrawn sucks. The pre-Bane period and the New Sith Order era Legacy comics... Those are awesome.

4. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hmm. I profess a personal preference of the X-Wing series, but that can be put down to the fact that Garik Loran is in them. squeeee

Sorry. Also, anything by Zahn is, of course, win.

Ah, and welcome newbie.

5. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

Schrodinger: Starfighters of Adumar - CLASSIC! Wes, Hobbie, Tycho, Wedge, you can't beat that!

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The "Ewok" pilot will always be fondly remembered :awesome

Thrawn was great, but I quit Star Wars EU in the middle of the Yuuzhang Vong (spelling?) arc, just got kind of boring in the middle. Are the books coming out after this really worth checking out or will they be the same?

@JenosIdanian : Welcome man, you seem like a decent sort, even more since I have the exact same views on the Harry /Luna pairing :D

7. Antivash

Consider yourself lucky. In the NJO sequel fucking Jacen kills God Damned Mara Jade.

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wait, what? Jacen kills Mara? Fuuuuck. Well, I'm definitely not reading that shit, nope.

9. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Yeah, that was the Jump the Shark moment for the EU, in my opinion (well, actually, it was when Jacen started seriously considering becoming a Sith, but whatever). As a fan of Mara and Jacen both, that was just way too OOC for me, so fuck that shit. I'm not even gonna bother reading the stuff that comes after LotF.

10. JenosIdanian

Wait wait wait wait wait...

Are you saying that Jacen "I'm kind of a hippie and have an empathetic gift w/animals" Solo killed Mara "I'm an inter-galactic bounty hunter/assassin/trained-by-a-level-of-evil-that-would-make-JacenSolo-shit-his-pants" Jade?

Okay, everybody say "FUCK THAT" (FUCK THAT) FUCK THAT-FUCK THAT SHIT!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  11. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Yeah. He met up with Lumiya (Dark Lady of the Sith) at the start of Legacy, and she told him that Vergere was a Sith, so he'd already started down the path. She then convinced him that Palpatine et al weren't true Sith, and that there were those who were 'good', or at least not tyrants in waiting (a potentially interesting idea). He then killed a Jedi newbie to stop her telling anyone about this, and set about establishing himself as a Sith lord so that he could bring peace to the galaxy, trying to bring Ben Skywalker over to his team at the same time. Naturally, this turned into a tedious, annoying retread of Anakin Skywalker's life story. Do not want.

Fun fact: Jacen was originally going to die in the NJO series, and Anakin Solo would have had the story that Jacen got, but Lucas changed that around because he felt it would be too similar to Anakin Skywalker. Clearly, he didn't grasp that just changing a character doesn't change the plot...

12. Antivash

Fucking God. EU would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better if that little cunt had bee killed instead.

Also; Dark Jaina > Sith Jacen. That would have been so much better. I dare you to find a more awesome NJO fix. D:

in b4 superspacerocks fall, everyone dies.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Well, Jaina does end up killing Jacen. But only after she's got some super-duper training from Boba Fett to supliment the fact that she's a badass Jedi who isn't entirely reluctant to touch the Dark Side.

As for spacerocks...the Legacy comics take place about 100 years after the Legacy books. With the exception of the Big Bad (as far as I'm aware), none of the cast were alive during the books. Within 100 years, at least two generations of people have died - which wouldn't be that odd, if it weren't for the fact that Han is in his 70's in the Legacy novel, and considered by the authors to be in his prime in Star Wars terms (although I can't find the quote backing this up at the moment). So yeah.

14. Antivash

Yeah. :/ To me, it seems like they're trying too hard to turn Jaina into Mini-Mara.

The Legacy comics are actually... kind of cool. I mean, aside from the druggie Skywalker faggot. :/ Krayt and Talon are pretty awesome characters. The new Sith Order is pretty rockin. Hell, I even like Blue, Fel, and what the fuck was his name... Nihlus?

This sith order is what I see Revan as having been striving for, before Bane found his Holocron and completely ruined everything.

Also does anyone else think Holocron and Horcrux look/sound too alike? D: The only way it can be worse is if JKR starts a sequel to the original with Harry as Voldemort the Sequel. D:

15. JenosIdanian

Oh God, what've you done!? Now WHEN (cause it'll happen) JKR googles for new story ideas this one is gonna come up and we'll be fucked! Dumbledore will come back as an Obi-Wan-esque ghost to guide Lu-Harry against the extragalactic, er...uh anyway. All I'm sayin is we're doomed. Also, there'll be slash cause JKR is influenced by the volume of fans. Unless she finds her way here, in which case all shall be saved. It could happen.

16. Antivash

Err... With the exception of James not being an evil fuckhead, and the Diablo-esque Soulstones... D: It pretty much already is... Just no Yoda. :< This is disappointing.

17. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Like Nemrut I, too, stopped partially through the Yuuzhan Vong stuff. I was browsing Wookiepedia, and eventually stumbled over spoilers for the rest...it was pretty disappointing. Imperial Knights seem interesting, though (I haven't actually read anything with them, yet), and I'm certainly enjoying Darth Marrs' AU fic set after that time period.

Anyways, welcome. You seem pretty cool, and I hope you read a fic with an awesome Dumbledore, soon.

18. JenosIdanian

Hmm... No Yoda. Well that depends on your characterization of Yoda. Is Yoda an ancient master of an esoteric art that instructed multiple generations of Potters, who sometimes zones out and says really retarded stuff? Sounds like Dumbledore to me. On the otherhand, if Yoda is a little green monster with a speech impediment... I'd call him Dobby.

And as far as James not being an evil fuckhead, he did pick on Snape, didn't he? Doesn't that make him a tyrannical bully or some shit?

silverlasso: Thanks for the welcome! I have recently read Enembee's By the Divining Light and really enjoyed his characterization of Dumbledore. Excellent fic! I'm also always looking for recommendations, just sayin.

19. Antivash

I can only assume you're talking about this fag and his Last Jedi story... Frankly, the summary makes it sound terrible, if that is the case.

But yeah.. Some of the Imperial Knights are pretty cool... The one with the hots for Fel's daughter pisses me off at times though...

Also; Blue is fuckin <3

No fuckin way, dude. Dumbledore is totally Obi Wan. I mean ... How much more obvious can it get? The close, brotherlike relationship with the evilfag. The post-death visit, advice, and pep-talk ... Obi Wan, all the way.

And Dobby is only Yoda if you consider Yoda a muppet with strange speech tendencies. Dobby is fucking Jar Jar Binks. At best.

It made him a dickhead, but not evil or a tyrant. Bully fits, yes, but Tyrannical? The only characters that fit that, really, are Riddle and Snape. >_>

20. JenosIdanian

Okay, okay. Yeah, Dumbledore=Obi Wan. And Yoda in the OT still kinda reminds me of Dobby. They both have a speech issue, they're both small, both green and all we know is they can both use telekineses...

... and then there was Attack of the Clones and Yoda became a whirling dervish of maniacal badassery. Also-Jar Jar Binks. Fucking Jar Jar Binks. Lucas must've been tripping balls.

The James Potter thing was more a jibe at fics that ASSUME James was this tyrannical douche because we see one instance of him Levicorpus-ing Snape or whatever.