1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars - Extended Universe Discussion

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by mknote, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wasn't a fan of how they did the Star Trek reboot, but I agree with whoever said that it at least kept the old version of canon intact. (I won't get into why I still don't like it, but whatever. I'd have rather had new adventures of Kirk and his crew that fit into the canon timelines and... /rantrantrant, irrelevant).

So despite not liking it with regards to Star Trek, I wouldn't have minded seeing it in this case.

1. Handwave some bullshit in a novel about someone/something going back in time to change something. Or sending a message through the force. Or sending some kind of force-magic-time-wave-of-change. Whatever.

2. Novel EU either continues as is after this change, or novels cease to be written that follow it, but presumably readers of the novels can imagine that that timeline continued marching onwards after the whatever-handwave-bullshit.

3. New movies proceed exactly as they are doing now. No need to tie in any of the current EU elements or even acknowledge that they exist. This is because anyone reading in the EU will know that the new movies are a result of the bullshit-handwave, and people who don't read the EU don't need to know that and can just continue enjoying the movies.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That would've been awesome, but they probably would've been required to pay Zahn some of kind of royalties if they used his books for the new movies. Not to mention the risk that the fans would consider any adaptation a pale shadow of the books themselves.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I find it really funny that you think this is a thought process that would have gone though anyone's mind.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Point. The need to Zahn a cut of the profits was probably a far more compelling reason.

5. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

6. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You do realize it was the set up to what would exterminate most of the Jedi?

7. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Of course I do, but it was shoddy set-up to say the least. When you need the EU to make even half of the Sifo Dyas/Dooku/Jango Fett nonsense make sense, your narrative has failed. Plus, between the Anakin/Padme romance, the cringe-worthy dialogue, and the startling pacing problems and anticlimax of that film easily renders it the worst of the prequels, at least in my books.

8. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

What part of it requires the EU? Someone posed as the Jedi Master-or was the Jedi Master- and ordered some clones well in advance using Sidious' well-known prescience-or near prescience. Jedi pick up clones, clones kill Jedi, Sidious is free to cackle and torture babies unmolested, and every government ship in the galaxy is accompanied by ominous music. The end.

9. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

It may not -require- the EU, but I know when I was sitting in the theatre for Attack of the Clones I was wondering, "Who the fuck is Syfo-dyas and why is he important? What's his backstory? I've never heard of him and yet he is responsible for all this?"

So I would not say that it required EU knowledge, but it was certainly a very jarring way of telling the story. Why would the Jedi trust this army that Syfo-dyas has commissioned?

10. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Who is Nicolas Flamel and why does he have a Philosopher's Stone for the headmaster...

I think those kinds of situations are unavoidable in stories. You can't explain everything sometimes.

OK, Jedi Master ordered a clone army but this is left shady enough to later learn that it was a sith plot to kill all the Jedi.

I think I read a wiki that said Plagueis, with his public identity of Hugo Damask, convinced Syfo-Dyas to let him pay for the army, but that's where the EU comes in and makes the decision something that happened over 20 years and two or three meetings. TBH, I don't think that that's necessary to flesh out the story. It falls kinda flat in my book. But to each his/her own.