1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Caligula, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I am not ashamed to admit that this thread has driven me to write a SW fic of my own. It is a ROTS fic, and I could use a beta with a keen eye for fight scenes and at least some familiarity with the fighting styles of the major characters.

Any takers? If not, I guess the WBA is always an option.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Meh. I just skipped like... the first 3-4 chapters until they get off Taris to be honest. Cant stand those since they all seem to be the same.

Also Trask? Fucking Best End for him.

WbA it. There's an other fandom section. Get more peopel to see and help with it that way too.

3. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Anyone have some good prequel era recs? I only recently started binge reading star wars fanfiction and am running out of material. Help me please.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've no idea if this has been linked already, but it's the only prequel era story I've found that's any good, so apologies if this is a relink.

The Havoc Side of the Force
    I have a singularly impressive talent for messing up the plans of very powerful people - both good and evil. Somehow, I'm always just in the right place at exactly the wrong time. What can I say? It's a gift.

My summary: Harry Potter crossover with a way post series and thoroughly jaded mercenary Harry Potter gets teleported by means as-yet-unknown into the Star Wars universe (inside the Jedi Temple to be precise) during the events of Episode 1, somewhere in-between the Jedi's arrival on Coruscant and the return to Naboo, and starts integrating into life in the galaxy. He winds up working as a kind of smuggler/mercenary/trader along with Anakin Skywalker and the severed head of HK-47.

It's well written, an interesting ride, and I'm intrigued by all the butterflies it's throwing off. My only real complaint with it is that the Harry Potter feels a lot like an idealized self-insert rather than the actual character, but it works for what the author's trying to do so /shrug.

5. Russano

Russano Disappeared

6. Rynonis

Rynonis Slug Club Member

So I am a little late to the party. I just finished the New Jedi Order. All I can say is wow. Some of it was actually good and other pieces of it were just massive steaming piles of shit. Props to having balls in the first book and doing what they did with Chewie. But damn the quality from book to book was just so massive depending on the author.

Another thing I noticed was that the individual authors didn't really seem to have any outline or plan with some of the things. Jacen totally getting with Tenel Ka, nope Danni Quee. Danni Quee vanishes, omg miss yew Tenel Ka come back pls. Like how was their no one in charge of the general flow of the stories and had one great storyboard for where everyone went. It was like they didn't really have any idea of who was supposed to survive or go where with their storylines. Don't even get me started on how annoying some of the characters which we were supposed to enjoy. Some people just ended up bland and caricatures of themselves.

Idk. Gonna start getting into a star wars fanfiction binge because I am pretty sure I have exhausted every HP story that is worth a damn.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've read that one already. Thanks though. How about your not so good but still acceptable recs? Like almost recommended star wars fanfics? Prequel era though please.

8. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

There have been quite a few OT-era, Prequel-era, and KoToR-era recommendations, so let's change things up with NJO fanfiction. The best written NJO fanfiction I've found has to be basically everything from YodaKenobi. His fics are actually in the library: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=14495

I think I enjoyed NJO overall. High points for me would have to be Traitor and The Unifying Force. I really, really dislike the direction the series has gone post-NJO however.

9. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Change of Fate
    A Sword Art Online crossover with star wars, it takes the characters and setup of Sword Art Online and re-imagines it as a Correllion simulation game set in the Sith Wars, but focuses on the players after they wake up, just as Order 66 is given. Its a fun, short romp through the world of Correlia, with many star wars characters making cameos and a good focus on the action of the SAO cast.

Its fun, but it really feels like one giant one-shot that leads into something more.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A SAO fic where the actual game is changed sounds kind of awesome.

Change it from a Fantasy MMO to a space exploration game where everyone can only get out once they reach an unspecified planet on the other side of the Galaxy. Maybe it has a portal to log out or maybe an artefact that lets you rewrite game code. :) i want.

11. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I just read the whole thing, and it's really good, I'd highly recommend it. My only problem is that it's finished, but I feel it could go on for quite a ways more.

It glosses over all the SOA part, really starting where they all wake up to the Clone Army's attack on the Cornelia Jedi (who were taking care of them all) because of Order 66. It just goes up to where they all escape the planet, but I feel that it could've continued into the SW story beyond the end of Episode III.

12. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I agree, Vathara has a habit of making the great beginnings of stories and only occasionally going further. But this very much feels like a very well developed plot bunny that could go on for a very long time. Or do a 22 year time skip to bring it to the time of the battle of yavin
    Vathara has continued a few of her stories with sequels or even full fleshouts (Theft Absolute, Blades of Blood, Clean and White), though none were as long as this one.

13. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Looking for good Prequel AUs or similar. I can't seem to find any decent length ones that aren't about Anakin sticking his tongue in Obi-wan's butt or vice versa.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just rewatched the three cinematic trailers of The Old Republic, and while I haven't played the game, whenever I see these trailers, I want to experience Star Wars-y stuff.

So, is there a story which kinda picks up right after trailer 3? Like, when the female jedi without a light saber, the smuggler and the soldier are on the ship and start their mission?

Cause I would read the hell out of that.

15. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Yeah, there's a fic. The female Jedi (let's call her Satele) and the soldier (let's call him Jace) take a ride back to Coruscant. They go their separate ways. Eventually, Satele hooks up with Jace, has an affair, has a kid (we'll call that one Theron, just for kicks). Satele hides the kid from Jace and the Order then goes on to become Grand Master of the Jedi Order.

Jace eventually become Supreme Commander of the Republic military and finds out he had a kid much later. Boy is he pissed.

Theron grows up and become a spy, figures out who his parents are and snubs his mom.

The story was kind of lame, but I liked the characters when they weren't being all soap operaish. ;)

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Before now I never had much interest in Star Wars. I think Anakain's evolution in the prequels killed it for me. Instead of this tragic character who falls into darkness trying to save who he loves we have this character you spend two movies thinking "Yea, he's going to be a Sith soon". He's also rather whiny.

With the way Anakain falls into darkness I'm rather fond of the plethora of Peggy Sue fics available. Unfortunately many spend the first five to ten chapters having usually Obi-Wan angsting about how Anakain fell and how he can't tell a soul that he's from the future.

Does Ahsoka happen to be a particularly hated character in the fandom? I've never seen the Clone Wars but I've found the way people write her in fics to be enjoyable, yet at the same time I get the impression many fans hate the character.

Can someone recommend some fics that discuss the reasons Anakain fell? Far too many fics massively oversimplify the reasons Anakain ended up on his path.

17. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I haven't read a lot of SW fics (the ones from blank101 mostly) but this was recommended in the first page of the thread:

Hindsight is not perfect- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6969605/1/Hindsight-Is-Not-Perfect

Which is an Anakin Peggy Sue and it is readable. Basically, Darth Vader returns to the light when he dies and Obi Wan sends him back to before they met. Anakin redoes his life trying not to hurt others and struggling not to fight into darkness now that he is used to grow angry at anything that happens. The fic covers phantom menace and has an on going sequel talking of his life at the jedi temple and it is mostly him angsting about how he fell to the dark side and coming to terms with what he did and trying to put things into perspective.

If you read it already though, I've got nothing.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The sequel has sporadic update rates and is kinda terrible on the pacing. The author knows this, just doesn't care. "My story, my pacing, get over it."

3/4 of the sequel is introspection into his feelings. In 124k words, not much has happened in terms of plot progression. At this point plot has taken a secondary role compared to Anakin's talks with his therapists.

19. Russano

Russano Disappeared

It's really sad that you can say most of the plot is Anakin being whiny and talking to his therapists and have it actually be true = /.

20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I'm still enjoying it somehow, but it really squandered a lot of potential. The first one was a lot better.

Anakin just really does feel like a teenager instead of the 40 year old man he is. The first one also did a better job of focusing on the conflict of Vader's instincts constantly trying to take over.