1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars / Star Trek crossovers?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Andrela, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The concept seems very interesting to me, but knowing the reality of the two fandoms makes me worry that no good fics exist.

Does anyone here know any good ones?

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

err.... All I have seen just deal with the question "Who has the longest". It's basically star ship against star ship, or technology compared to technology.

I can't remember anything with a real plot.

3. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

There's an old one I read a while back, Conquest. I remember it being technically sound, well plotted, and fairly true to the tones and characterizations of both. That was a while ago, so not sure how it holds up now, but worth checking out.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wrote a Star Trek / Star Wars fic once on a whim, back in 2012 when I'd first started writing. I didn't finish it, but it did have a plot. It went something like this...
    Kirk and his command crew (Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, & Chekov, maybe Chapel as well) were investigating a millennias old phenomenon on a planet in a star system not far from Earth.

(Spoiler Alert - It was Revan's crash site, operating on the basis that he left the Star Wars galaxy at the end of his storyline, ended up in our galaxy, and then found Earth after landing on a planet not-that-far-away in terms of Star Wars technology).

Shit happens with this mysterious phenomenon and they, along with the Enterprise NCC 1701 A, ended up in the Star Wars universe... a long, long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away.

I admit I forget what happened to the rest of the crew on the ship, but I'd come up with some bullshit explanation... or was it even the Enterprise? I remember not caring AT ALL about ship-vs-ship combat, so maybe they had a smaller vessel...

Regardless, they quickly realize that they are a long way from home in a very confusing and dangerous place. So they hide their ship, cloaked with Romulan technology, and all exit. This part was taken blatantly from Star Trek IV, except instead of Earth they're on some backwater Star Wars planet.

That was more or less where it tapered off, since like any good newbie writer I got the prologue written then realized writing was hard work and I didn't like the story anyway. But I'd planned to have them in the time period shortly following 'Return of the Jedi' so they could deal with the galaxy being in a state of flux as the Rebellion has just won, the Emperor was just defeated, etc.

And naturally not only are they trying to get home, but there is a lot of variation amongst the individual characters in terms of what interests them, what they think they should (or shouldn't) do to return home with some of this technology, philosophical musings on a bunch of crap, etc.

Scotty might have wanted permission to enroll in a basic mechanics class, and gotten it... Sulu would have learned to pilot quickly, then begged leave to find one of those lightsaber things. Chekov would be continually distracted by twi'leks. Spock would be the one to determine where and when they are. And so forth, and so on.

Luke would have eventually been an important character, as the backwater planet they ended up on had a connection to Revan, which Luke actually tracked down from the other side in his initial efforts to learn more about the Jedi.

I was debating if they'd miss each other or not, because I wanted to get the TOS crew off that planet relatively quickly, even if they left their original ship hidden there for the time being.
    Argh... I sort of wish I still had a copy of that now. Even though it really and truly did suck.

But to answer your question, no. I haven't read any good Star Trek / Star Wars crossover fanfiction. As Minion said, most of the brainstorming and writing on that subject in general tends to be about 'who would win' or 'starship vs starship' combat, or a comparison of technology in general.

I think it's more interesting to do it as a character study, and I think that's more interesting to do with Star Trek characters in the Star Wars Universe. The Star Trek characters are coming from the Federation, which has been successful as a spacefaring government in ways that the Star Wars universe would see as damn near utopian... but they have less technology, and they aren't Jedi. The reverse, putting a Star Wars character used to galactic strife, who is either a Jedi or accustomed to dealing with Jedi (b/c you'd use a canon character), into the Star Trek universe where they have almost all of the advantages seems less interesting.

Anyway. This would be ridiculously hard to do well for a number of reasons. Those reasons multiply when you try to deal with the technology of both fandoms in one story instead of picking one and making it about characters.

But hey, just my two cents.

Star Trek / Star Wars is not a good idea, damnit! Unless you're really and truly a good, solid author... but then, that's always the exception, isn't it?

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is the only one I've read, though I don't think I remember enough to say whether it's really good or not.

6. Andrela

What if it was a crossover between The Force Awakens and the Abramsverse NuTrek?

That way, all the Ultra-Powered EU stuff from Star Wars is gone b/c Mickey Mouse said so.

Also, Trek technology has been pushed forward decades due to all that time-travel stuff.

7. Ched

Fuck the Star Trek 'reboot.' I want nothing to do with it beyond watching the movies out of misplaced nostalgia.

8. Andrela

I sense great anger in you.

Its not that bad, tbqh. Sure, the third one shapes to be terrible, and the second one was disappointing, but the first one wasn't bad.

9. Ched

They were fantastic movies.

That is completely beside the point that they felt nothing like Star Trek.

And... that's all I'll say about it for now, don't feel like getting into a proper rollicking rant. I've said it before somewhere, I think on DLP, but maybe not.

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Best way I've heard it put is that they're great movies, but they're not Star Trek movies.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I've recently watched some of the older TNG movies, and I think we forget that they too weren't like the TV show. The show dealt with philosophical questions and social concepts, the movies were always more... Abrams. Lots of phasers, lots of battles in space, lots of ignoring the physical aspects of space.

There's a scene in the first Abrams movie where the Enterprise gets from Earth to Vulcan in like 5 minutes or less -- in the time it takes Kirk to run to Uhura and then to the bridge from sickbay.

Many people complained about this absurdity, even me. Here was Abrams, blatantly ignoring one of the things that made Star Trek what it was: the vastness of space. He treated Star Trek like Star Wars, where hyperdrive allowed them to traverse the entire galaxy with ease, while in Star Trek it would take them at least 70 years to get to the other side of the galaxy.

But people forget there was a scene in First Contact where the Enterprise-E somehow travels from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in seemingly a matter of minutes.

The closest star to earth is Alpha Centauri, a little more than 4 light years away. At maximum warp during the TNG era, it would take around one day to reach that star system from Earth. Given that Janeway once said that their starships were twice as fast as the ones used in TOS times, it would take two days for the Enterprise-A to reach it. Vulcan is probably much further away, and the Romulan Neutral Zone probably a bit further.

Given that it would probably take one Borg cube only minutes to destroy a fleet of starships... yeah, the movies have been ignoring a lot of things for the sake of their narrative for a long while now. Abrams is just continuing on the legacy.

Of course, none of this excuses Abrams for making an interplanetary transporter. Fuck that guy.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Conquest was a decent story, but really, only read this if you want to see Star Wars stomping Star Trek in a straight up military match-up. Like, it makes sense, but I guess if you prefer ST, this wouldn't make the story much fun for you.

Also, the plot and all is really just based around this, to have the Federation and the Empire duke it out. That said, the characters on the Star Trek end are well portrayed, whereas the Empire mostly got OCs, IIRC.

So, yeah, decent story. 3/5 Definitely readable but flawed and not for everyone.

13. Andrela

Just read through this. I liked it, despite having no knowledge of old Post-RotJ EU.

Q's statement in the epilogue was fantastic.

You should put it up for review.