1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/starwarstheoldrepublicmmoannounced.shtml

Frankly, I don't really have any high hopes for this one.

You just know that everyone and their mother is going to be either a jedi or a sith.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  2. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

When I found out there was going to be another KOTOR game by Bioware, I came. When I found out it was going to be a MMO, I cried. Last night, when I looked at the announcement, I wanted to gouge Lucas' eyes out.

They should just dump this piece of smoldering shit just like a pregnant girlfriend and start working on KOTOR 3.

3. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

The only hope I still cling to is that it is being made by Bioware, also no one has come out and said that this is KOTOR 3.

I do like that they are going to focus on individual story lines.

5. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Yippie. Another bloody MMO. Prepare to be swarmed by the armies of xxxRevanxxx and Anakinzzzz.

My kingdom for more normal RPGs :(

6. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Everyone wants in on the MMO cashcow since WoW made it big. My kids play an MMO called Wizards101 and its decently done, but costs ten bucks a month. Fortunately they have a family plan.

The classes should all be types of Jedi or Sith, since no one is going to play anything else unless they offer rancor as a class. Wonder if they'll include multiple races. I'd want to be a little Yoda thing.

7. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    I have a feeling Bioware is going to drop the ball big time on one of the games they are making, I mean really they have like five games in the works and then they pop up with a fucking MMO?! Make my Jade Empire 2, Mass Effect 2, KOTOR 3, and Then go make your MMO's.

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm calling shenanigans on EA.

9. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

This.
    All these are sequels to awesome games and are eagerly awaited = cash will flow and gamers will be happy. What more can you expect?

A Star Wars MMO is a pretty high risk, seeing that the first one was shit (or became, depending on when you started). At the moment I'm willing to put my trust into Bioware, but even they can't make shit to gold.
    I would, by the way, not necessarily play a Jedi. I'd love to play a decent done Smuggler.

It would be cool if they actually fulfilled what the first one promised, though. Cities build and ruled by players, Players being able to give quests to others when they have a high enough rank etc.

10. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Wow, what a bunch of pessimists. Knox, Bioware have a huge staff now, especially since they were bought by EA. I doubt they're going to drop the ball with OR due to other projects, I mean they're still making Dragon Age and (presumably) Mass Effect 2. I'm pretty sure Dragon Age is their new Jade Empire, and they clearly aren't going to make KOTOR 3, hell they didn't even make KOTOR 2!

Considering that everyone in the games industry knew about the badly kept secret that Bioware was making this MMO, I can't see why they'd announce it now if production on it wasn't going well. They could have just held back on any announcements.

So, 3 games, Dragon Age which is presumably nearing completion, Mass Effect 2 which they've been tightlipped enough about that there isn't much too speculate on yet, and SW:OR. I personally doubt they'll drop the ball with it, and I have to say that if it were any company other than Bioware making this game I'd likely not be half as excited. If those Canucks know one thing, it's how to make a damn fine RPG!

That's not too say that I don't have my own share of concerns; mainly that they'll use the same combat system that you find in every goddamn MMO these days, the one that ultimately boils down to a shin-kicking match (but replace "shin-kicking" with "continuous clicking") If they either A: Just use the KOTOR interface or B: Create a new combat system that makes you feel as if you're actually fighting someone, I'll be overjoyed.

Overall I'm feeling fairly optimistic about the whole thing. In terms of MMO's, the only other thing I had to look forward to before was the Firefly MMO. Know I can once again dream of a good Star Wars game.

11. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

Words cannot express how much I agree with this. KOTOR is so old for a computer game and its graphics suck compared to what we're used to now. Yet still, I played through the game twice in one week and enjoyed every second of it. I hold little hope for Star Wars MMO's in general, the fact that the fictional histories of the Star Wars galaxy is already so comprehensively written makes any MMO kind of pointless.

KOTOR 3 is truly what they should be focusing on, the knowledge of Revan and the Exile returning would be enough for millions to come in their pants.

12. Sagita

Sagita Fourth Year

I love KOTOR tough I have yet to play KOTOR 2. And I am quite impressed with the quality of Bioware's work so far so I will give this game a chance, after all it sounds like everything I have ever wanted on a MMORPG.

13. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

A crapload of KOTOR 2's endgame was cut and the game was retardedly easy. I remember walking into a room, force storming everything once and it was all over -_-. Also, the hyped up Darth Nihilius died in one round without even scratching me. Wasn't a bad game though.

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Ditto all that, except for the part about the combat. I've been keeping an eye on the series of articles they released on IGN, and from what I read about the gameplay, I think combat will be much better than we fear. I mean, look at how much of an improvement the fighting was in Mass Effect from KotOR. And then Jade Empire... still my favorite combat of pretty much any game (although Fable 2's is pretty freakin awesome). I think if they put their brains to it, they can come up with some pretty awesome stuff.

I dunno, the first KotOR was (is) pretty much my favorite rpg of all time. I'm on the fence about whether I would have preferred a kotor 3, but... I don't have an mmo to play right now, haha. And they've said how much of an emphasis they're going to have on story. Frankly, I'm not worried; I think it will be absolutely scrumtrilescent. :cheers:

15. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

I liked age of conan's combat system and it's melee weapons. If something like this was implemented for OR, I'd take a look into it. See if it's worth a purchase.

16. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

"Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades."

Yeah, good going Bioware. Ruin my hope for a conclusion to the Revan arc. I am greatly displeased. Also, the fact that they seem to be completely ignoring KOTOR 2 canon is very annoying. No mention anywhere of any of the events of KOTOR 2, and all their references to the series are just about KOTOR, not about "the previous games".

Yeah, this is going to suck. Why couldn't they just make KOTOR 3? I want a decent conclusion to the story arc, not 10 levels of killing Jawas to get the co-ordinates to Dantooine. I won't be playing, much happier just replaying two of the best RPGs I've ever played than letting some MMO filled with morons, that overrides KOTOR canon, and that fails to conclude the story arc the series setup ruin the franchise for me. Bioware have dropped the ball on this one, I've lost a lot of respect for them here.

17. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh, how could I have forgotten about age of conan? Yeah, the combat was definitely the best thing about that game. I only played as a barbarian, but it was freakin sweet. That might work really well.

18. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

www.computerandvideogames.com has a couple of articles as well as a few screen shots up. I have taken some excerpts from the first article...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200889
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=201265

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  19. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wookie Jedi would be fucking epic. I will play this game if for nothing else than the chance to beat the shit out of someone as a Wookie Jedi.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If it's worth a fuck. I will play it. I will start a damned group, and we will fucking destroy those pussy Jedi =P

I honestly just hope it doesn't suck.