1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars training fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Skeletaure, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

That's a great question.

Uh. I haven't read them myself in quite some time. I bet the flaws would be a lot more apparent now. My bet is that they'd still be fairly enjoyable, though. The pace, in particular, of the Wraith Squadron books I remember being pretty fantastic. They never, ever drag. Plus the characters really pop - Wedge is more humanized, Wes gets screen time, Face is a solid character, etc. Yeah actually now that I'm thinking about it, I kinda want to go read those books again.

---------- Post automerged at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

They're not exactly dense reads; I'd maybe read/skim the first two, see if anything catches your interest. The third one starts to really make Horn an actual three-dimensional character, plus the whole "Tycho's trial" arc is pretty fun. The fourth book with Rouge Squadron going rogue is pretty good. Really, it's just a steady increase in quality. Book 1 is a pretty bad novel, objectively. The writing is clunky. Book 2 has a fairly weak plot but some good moments.

And yeah, I loved how HoT just gave the middle finger to all the parts of the EU that had taken elements of the Thrawn trilogy and just utterly butchered them. Mara Jade's speech to Luke about his actions was basically an OOC "eat a bag of dicks" to the writers who'd cumulatively fucked up Luke's character, and it was glorious.

2. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

As an answer to the OP...well, there's Revanchism, if you aren't against Kotor stories. Bastila becomes Revan's padawan during the Mandalorian Wars. It's one of the better Kotor stories, though it's heavy on romance. There's some Jedi training in there, but it focuses more on Bastila and how she deals with suddenly fighting in a war she initially doesn't agree with.

Though it's true enough that there are not enough training stories out there. Any of you know some with Obi-Wan as the protagonist, perhaps with a different master or a different padawan?