1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Stargate: 1939 by CaptainChewbacc - T - Stargate SG1 / Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Kraken, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

Title: Stargate: 1939
    Author: CaptainChewbacc
    Rating: ?
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
    Pairing: None-for now
    Summary: Essentialy, it's what would happen if the Stargate had been found and activated in 1939. Instead of SG-1, we get an OC Major, Albert Einstein and Indiana Jones travelling through the gate with a team of US Marines. It follows the plot of the original movie, to an extent.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=116925
    Link: www.fanfiction.net/s/6033908/

Quite an epic story so far. 5/5 from me.

The Sequel:

Title: Indiana Jones and the Secret of Osiris
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-fi/Adventure
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Summary: The sequel to Stargate 1939. It continues the story with the repercussions of alien technology entering World War 2.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=167077

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's recently achieved completion, so you can change that.

Just finished reading it and I have to say, it's pretty damn epic. It starts off kinda slow but with occasional interludes to other happenings in the world (that have pretty staggering implications for the story, if he continues it), and he does take liberties with some of the characters in order to make the plot progress. On the other hand, the sheer awesomeness of:

Beaming an armoured car onto Ra's ship and then Albert Einstein using the the inertial dampeners to slow the ship to a manageable speed as it was falling from the upper atmosphere is just amazing.

Of course Indy gets to do his thing with the local princess (I think the author was trying to turn him into a kind of Daniel Jackson, which irked me slightly) and Einstein is as brilliant as he ever was. What really makes me love this fic though is that there are wider implications hinted at over the course of it as to World War II, the Manhattan Project and the Goa'uld/Stargates on Earth.

As it turns out, Osiris and Iris are awake and in charge of a Mafia family. Seth is awake and helping out the Nazis with their Stargate/DHD (since they were the ones who recovered the original DHD from Egypt that got passed on to the Russians in the canon timeline), and as the parting shot, the Eurondans are having their conflict 70 years early and have contacted the people most likely to help them in committing genocide.

All in all, 5/5.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds awesome. But posting a story in a forum has always irked me (unless the comments are separated from the story, as they sometimes are here). Maybe someone can convince him to upload it on FFN or something? >_>

I'll review it when I'm finished.

EDIT: Once I waded through all the comments and actually got to read it, it was pretty good. Despite not being an avid Stargate fan (and not having read any Stargate fanfiction beyond that one HP/Stargate crossover with him replacing "wizard" with "magi"), I knew enough of what they were talking about to get by. Some parts dragged on a bit, and I've never been too comfortable with using historical figures as characters in fiction (meh, nitpicking), but overall it was an enjoyable Stargate AU.

There were some awesome moments scattered about:

Einstein and Teal'c team up, and Indiana Jones whips Ra in the eye.

As Aekiel said, the implications things will have on history are going to be interesting when he continues it. I'm looking forward to the sequel. 4.5/5.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is an excellent fic if however short, but to be honest anything thats well written with Indiana Jones is automatically going to get a positive review from me so Im more than slightly biased.

5. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I only watched the first episode of Stargate: SG1 and didn't really care for it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the original Stargate movie. I decided to give this a try, if nothing else than because I wanted see how the hell Albert Einstein and Indiana Jones played a part. Though this is pretty short, it's on par with the movie - epic, awesome and great in every way possible.

Hopefully the sequel won't take years to write, and will be just as good.

5/5

6. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Am I the only one who got Red Alert vibes while reading the story?

Good plot, decent if not outright good writing and well done characters.

5/5

Gizmore:

At the bottom of this page, you'll find links to all the chapters, saving you the trouble of navigating through all of the thread posts.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  7. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

I think he's going to start posting the sequel in October.

8. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I've read 3 chapters so far, it's good, but it's annoying as hell that you have to scroll through page after page to find the next chapter...

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

10. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

The idea seems alright but it ain't my cup of tea. The writing is so-so, having said that I would suggest that if you really had nothing to do and needed to burn some time I would recommend the fic. Word of caution his update rate seems random at times, once he starts adding new chapters the waiting period is a week or two at most but if hits a snag like he did after chp.7 then the waiting period is two years. 3/5

Oh btw, thanks for the links Lord Xantam it was a hassle to scroll through every page to find the couple hundreds of words the author wrote. And thanks Kraken for putting up the post, I found the story when the author first started writing the fic back in '07 but when he quit after chp.7 I kind of lost track of it.

And what the hell is your signature supposed to be Lord Xantam? I would hazard to guess that its the Immortals from 300 but the face on the right does not resemble any of the other cast members and I don't remember any of them having an effeminate face. So what is it?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's from V for Vendetta.

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Mr. Revan is quite correct. And the only nice thing about all of the stories I've read at this forum is that someone generally catalogs the chapter in a fairly easy to access way.

13. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

14. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

[WIP] Indiana Jones and the Secret of Osiris - T - SG1/Indiana Jones

For anyone still interested, the sequel is now up.

Title: Indiana Jones and the Secret of Osiris
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-fi/Adventure
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Summary: The sequel to Stargate 1939. It continues the story with the repercussions of alien technology entering World War 2.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=167077