1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Stargate: Return of the Ancients by Aer-ki Jyr - T - Stargate

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Leo1980s, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Leo1980s

Leo1980s First Year

High Score:
    Title: Stargate: Return of the Ancients
    Author: Aer-ki Jyr
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Mystery
    Chapters: 10
    Words: 15,354
    Updated: Mar 28, 2009
    Published: Mar 20, 2009
    Fandom: Stargate: Atlantis
    Pairings: None
    Summary: After Season 5 conclusion... a pilot episode for what would be both a new series and a continuation of Stargate Atlantis. Assuming Enemy at the Gate never happened. Wormhole drive my eye!
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4934528/1/Stargate-Return-of-the-Ancients-Pilot-Episode

A continuation of the Stargate Atlantis TV series. It relies on the reader knowing the show but as an avid fan myself I quite enjoyed it. The author has broken up the story into episodes of which there are currently 27 with a total word count of over 370,000.

I put forward the whole thing as one story for review rather than each episode even though the link above is to the first one. The author suffered from fewer readers by breaking it into small episodes - someone has reposted it as a single story (with the authors permission I think).

The author portrays the characters very well & I think it is a well written and enjoyable extension to the series. I would give it a 3/5 as the character Stevenson is OP & it takes a while for the author to tone it down.

Checked by Minion, Jan. 11, 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1/5

The story claims to be a continuation of the series but flies in the face of everything already established and flanderises several main characters.

-Woolsey, who initially come across as a bureaucrat who followed the letter of the law/orders and then had a season of great character development overnight goes back to the personality he had in his first episode.

-Landry and the SGC becoming the NID in views overnight.

-Landry wanting to court-marshal Shepard for giving people medical supplies, then accuses Shepard of stealing them for personal gain (?).

-The SGC suddenly going all isolationist and deciding the galaxy isn't their problem any more.

-Landry seemed to imply he'd be court-marshalling a soldier for giving himself a death sentence in an effort to get the knowledge to save Earth (?).

-The death scene felt incredibly plastic. There was no emotion in it.

-O'Neill is an incredibly high ranking officer who apparently can't do anything to help Shepard. Makes note they were just medical supplies and wishes he could do something while at the same time condemning Shepard.

I stopped reading there. This was awful.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. Leo1980s

Leo1980s First Year

High Score:
    Some truth to that, I personally think Woolsey was a better character playing the bad guy. Also by discarding the entire story of 370k words because you stopped reading at 10k means you miss the best bits - I did mention the author took a while to tone it down.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I'm not interested in a story after 4 chapters I'm not wasting my time reading more.