1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

State of Jim Butcher Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

:awesome
    :awesome:awesome
    :awesome:awesome:awesome

2. carl

carl Seventh Year

Awesome, glad to be supporting him by buying his books! :)

3. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Uh... Isn't this old news? And who cares whether he approves or not? It's not like he could forbid anything...

4. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Sites like ff.net remove all fanfiction based on the works of any author that dissaproves of it. Examples that come to mind : George Martin's Game of Throne and Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.

5. Random Shinobi

Okay, FF.net cares, but there are other fanfiction sites. I have read both Farseer and GoT fanfiction.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, but I wasn't aware of it. Happened on Janurary the 14th? Original announcement. Only just got wind of it via the rpgsite.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Awesome. I might actually try my hand at some Dresden now. Or not.

8. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

I understand he always approved, there is a clip from a signing in youtube where he pretty much comes out in support of fanfiction and he is flattered that people like his universe enough to want to join in and play.

He was just worried about the legal implications or somesuch so he basically wanted to remain ignorant so that if necessary he could go: "I had NO idea anyone was writing fan fiction of my series! Honest!" or some such.

This is no longer the case. Now you can actually post dresden fics even to the official forums, though apparently Butcher still won't read them. Probably does not want to risk accidentally copying anything to his books.

I wonder if it really is a legal problem though? I mean I have no idea about how the law works. Is fanfiction really somehow illegal if the author (or publisher in this case) tries to fight it. Or is there some fair use clause or something that would allow it. Anyone know?

9. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Technically, the characters are intellectual property; according to copyright and trademark law (at least British/American-type law) writing a story using someone else's characters without permission would be similar to using the stylised Coca-Cola insignia without permission, or a picture of Mickey Mouse without Disney's approval, or re-broadcasting Major League Baseball without express written consent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  10. Random Shinobi

Hah... Fanfic writers are, indeed, technically liable for damages should the author ever decide to sue. The thing is, nobody can prove that fanfiction damages authors economically, and as such, fanfic writers are quite safe.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    As an experiment, I posted something there a month ago. The page has been visited all of 63 times with 1 comment. Even their most clicked upon stories have only a few hundred hits. If getting read is your goal, you're far better off posting here in WBA or going to patronuscharm or fanfiction.net.

From old posts on the site on the subject of fanfiction, it's apparent that many on the site appear openly hostile to fanfiction and feel it's an insult to Butcher.

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

FF.net does not give a shit. I have yet to see one A Song of Ice and Fire fic removed. If anything they have increased since last September when people thought a dance with dragons was coming out.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The slightest hint of George Martin looking their way with the word 'lawsuit' on his lips and every single one of those stories will be taken down within the hour.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I could have sworn that someone else had already posted this info here somewhere, but since I can't find the thread I guess I was mistaken. I probably read it over on JB's site.

I have to say that I'm glad he's not acting bitchy about fanfic like some other authors do. The official site even has an area for posting the fanfic if I recall.

15. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

It's not so simple. Fanfiction is legally grey in many countries. The argument is often made that it is Fair Use. Read more at Chilling Effects -- be sure to look at the FAQ.

Even if it was not legal, given that the distribution medium is the Internet, it would probably be handled through the DMCA -- for once this may be a good thing: a take down request would be issued and the issue would only be escalated if the author/host doesn't take it down.

I'll also comment that fanfiction is, to me, clearly ehtical and would be restricted by no sane copyright. This is just one example of how ridiculuous the IP is becoming.