1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, it is absolutely worth getting. I wish that I could have gotten it cheaper but I don't regret getting it when it first came out... it's a steal for $15.

2. HoloHolo

HoloHolo Squib

High Score:
    Yes totaly

Yes totaly get it but only if you have a lot of time on your hands. If you have to study or are otherwise busy don't because you will never finish studying once you start playing the game belive me i speak from experience.

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I got it, haven't d/l'ed it yet (mostly because it's like 26gb's?) and I have a monthly bandwidth limit cause shitty ISP.

4. Arawn

Arawn First Year

as much as i would like the game i am unable to buy it, so anyone wants a 25% off coupon for Nitroplus Blasterz on steam?

5. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Steam winter holiday sale is on. And so far it's got not a lot of any real interest, it seems.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Verdun, The Long Dark, Insurgency, Grim Dawn, Banner Saga 2 are all solid.

7. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Just picked up a Vive yesterday. Anybody been using VR and have game suggestions?

So far, I have:
    -Vanishing Realms
    -The Brookhaven Experiment
    -Raw Data
    -Tilt Brush
    -La Peri

I can wholeheartedly recommend Vanishing Realm and Tilt Brush to anybody with VR and have been enjoying Raw Data as well.

Now if I only I can stop accidentally punching my fan every 5 minutes...

8. TSN

TSN Auror

Rise of Nation: extended edition is curently on sale on steam for less than 6$ canadian.

Get it nao so we can have massive epic multiplayer game

9. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah, since all games in India seem to be region locked, I won't be able to put it up on Secret Santa.
    I have a copy of "Dues Ex: Mankind divided" to give away to anyone in the DLP Steam group, who is in India.

If you want it, respond. FCFS.

10. weiyaoli

weiyaoli Third Year

All of the FF series seems to be on sale on Steam. Do you guys suggest any in particular that are must grab? Have never played a single FF. I nabbed FF7 already - are there any bad PC ports to outright avoid?

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

FFIX and FFX are probably the best on Steam.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

VII is the strongest recommendation from me. I also enjoyed IX. Not sure if some of the classic SNES ones are on Steam or not. Final Fantasy Tactics is another favorite of mine but fairly sure that's not on Steam. I think IV, V, and VI are fan favorites? Or VI at least. There's some fuckery with numbering as well.

13. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

FF4 was my favorite of the SNES era. FF9 was my favorite out of the original PlayStation era games. I believe 3-6 on Steam are mobile ports of the games. Some people are ok with this, some people will tell you to download a rom of the originals, ymmv...

I didn't have any issues playing through FF4 on Steam myself.

The numbering is a bit funky with this series.

NES Era
    Final Fantasy I - This is the game that started the series, released in both Japanese and English for the NES.

Final Fantasy II - Never officially released in English on the NES. It's first official release in America would be as a part of the PlayStation era bundle title Final Fantasy Origins

Final Fantasy III - Never officially released in English on the NES. It's first official release in America would be on the Nintendo DS, over 15 years from when it was first released in Japan.

SNES Era
    Final Fantasy IV - This was known in North America as Final Fantasy II for the SNES.

Final Fantasy V - Originally released only in Japan for their SNES, but saw it's first release in America in a PlayStation bundle called Final Fantasy Anthology (it would keep the Japanese numbering for the Anthology release)

Final Fantasy VI - This was released in English as Final Fantasy III for the SNES.

Sony PlayStation Era
    I believe this is where they said fuck it and caught the numbering back up for the North American releases.

Final Fantasy VII - The first of the series to be released on the Sony Playstation. It was released in Japanese and English and kept the same numbering for all releases.

Final Fantasy VIII - The second of the series to be released on the Sony Playstation. It was released in Japanese and English and kept the same numbering for all releases.

Final Fantasy IX - The last in the series released for the PlayStation. It was released in Japanese and English and kept the same numbering for all releases.

If you guys care, this webpage has a list of all the current Final Fantasy titles available on steam.

14. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

The problem with several of the ports of the earlier games is that they were released and not even a single word from anyone after that. This mean issues they had, some present in previous ports, are there which annoys people. And if you are one of the unlucky few to run into a serious issue you better hope the community knows what is wrong and a setting can be easily tweaked or there is a mod you can just make use of.

X and later are generally fine, IX's main problem is the horrible optimization* since the music issue for those who can actually tell music quality(not me) has a simple downloadable fix, VII had patches solving the main problems and it has a pretty active modding community even compatible with all Steam offers if you want more. IV was fantastic only real complaint I recall is that for some people who wanted to use controllers they refused to work.
    *X with the remaster got upgraded and it still has far lower required specs even more than the shown requirements in the store pages would make you think.

V has the most widespread issues(a shame since it is my favourite) and three common ones that make game crash though fortunately those at least are easy enough to fix following instructions people posted but it is still worth playing. VI is nice overall though the art changes seem a case of right hand not knowing what left is doing as most was made to be better but same style as original while others were in a different style, whether they are by themselves good or not YMMV but it looks out of place and you will want a few mods either way due the art having filter on top of it to make it worse(no idea why). VIII got similar improvements to VII but where it received patches this never did and regardless it is considered the worst FF of the PSX era so you should probably avoid it anyway.

In short 4, 7, 9 and 10 then 5 and 6. Avoid 8.

EDIT: I forgot about 3 but IIRC it seems a split between people who never have any problems and people who have bug after bug.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. Arawn

Arawn First Year

i think this is an apropiate place for posting this message.

this was offered on the secret santa thread but i did not receive any requests there so i made a giveaway

anyone from south america please enter here for a chance to win Spectraball

https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/U08pE/spectraball

16. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

For those of you who got it, please give Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky from Humble Monthly a try. It was a personal favorite of mine and one of the best JRPGs. The story is top notch, the world building is amazing, and so much attention is paid to the small details.

Next month's early unlock game for Humble Bundle Monthly is XCOM 2.

17. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Payday 2 and DLC, from the latest humble bundle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

New Humble Bundle for $30 supporting the ACLU, Doctors Without Borders, and the International Rescue Committee:

Humble Freedom Bundle

100% will go to charity

Includes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Final Fantasy X/X2 Remastered is 50% off at $15 in case anyone else has been waiting for the chance to play all the content the American version lacked.

20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Humble's got a deal on the Civ collection now. $1 gets 3 and 4 (&a all expansions), $8 gets 5 (& all expansions) and 25% off 6, $15 gets you Beyond Earth (& all expansions).

I love CiV, although I got into it pretty late. $8 is an absolute steal for it.

I'm realling enjoying CiVI, too, although it's not quite as big yet, as it hasn't got as many expansions. I'm still really enjoying it, and there's a lot of differences from V, so that's also maybe worth picking up after.

I did not like Beyond Earth. Don't know why, but I really wasn't a fan of it. I might go back to it at some point, but I was so unimpressed I uninstalled it. So YMMV.