1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, May 1, 2016.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just started following this - later on he also colonises a Holy World which the Fallen Empire wishes for everyone to leave well alone. Lol, he's done a great job of pissing them off.

2. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Will this become the new game for DLPSunday? I can't wait to start playing.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm down to try multiplayer out with you guys.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'll be up for it whenever Sat+Sun work best for me, though I can usually get in a couple hours after work.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Holy shit, why have I never look at this thread. I loved Endless Space and Paradox CK2 and EU4. I'm really looking forward to this! We don't have enough good Sci-Fi 4X game. Did they say how much it was going to cost on release?

6. Anarchy

Preorder is $40, with 2 special editions at $50 and $70. Greenmangaming has a sale on preorder for 25% with a code, which brings it down to $30 which seems cheap for a brand new game!

7. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

I think I should be able to play this on my laptop, so if you guys are doing sunday gaming sessions I'd be down for joining.

As a warning though paradox games generally take forever to get from start to finish. Like epic-marathon civ games length.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll likely play alone because of time restraints but damn I'm hyped for this game. Going to wait and let myself cool for a while before getting it because I know it will take over all my spare time for a while.

9. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Heh, I was surprised there wasn't a thread dedicated to this while it was in development. I've been following it since November or so and I can hardly believe it's four days away.

10. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'll pick this up in a few months, might make it my entry to Grand Strategy games.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Well, I had to make up for lost time. So I ended up spending hours looking at the stream of the game, and it's brilliant. Obviously, there was a bunch of stuff the developer haven't even shown us yet in the stream, but what they have is awesome.

I really like how they made it so that war requires you to make a peace deal with all belligerent and not make separate peace deal like in EU4. I also like the idea of federation, with leader ship alternating and the federation fleet as well.

Two of the best thing from the game, from what I've seen so far, are the tech and the FTL. The tech because it's somewhat random. Which means, there's no best way to approach it. So you can't just start another game with the same species and just expect it to go the same way, like in EU4 for example. Not only that, but the galaxy is randomly generated, which also increases opportunity for replays. As for the FTL, I think it's one of the best idea of the genre; granted I've only played like 2 games in the genre, but still. The choice of restricting the galaxy to one sort of FTL (let's say Hyperlane) versus allowing all of them just opens up all sort of different play styles. Hyperline will require that you control choke point with your defense stations, whereas Wrap Drive is much easier to manoeuver since you can just circumvent defenses. The Worm Hole is also very interesting, requiring you to build wormhole station to bring a fleet to another part of the galaxy, meaning you can literally travel from one side of the galaxy to another in a matter of second if you have a station on both sides. The possibilities for wars are just amazing. That's definitely one of the most interesting thing of this game.

Bonus Point for the creation of a species, which just seems very easy to do and yet offers a lot of different choices. The fact that your own custom species may be included in the randomly generated world is also awesome.

I'm probably going to preorder the Nova. Gotta get that soundtrack.

12. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I'm very much tempted to pre-order the nova edition as well, because Space-Spiderbro's.

13. BioPlague

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I preordered on GMG for, as others have stated, Spatially Accessible Arachnids.

15. BioPlague

[​IMG]

Mass Effect mod plz

16. Anarchy

I imagine a ME mod will be at the top of the list, next to Star Trek and Star Wars and Dune and the Culture

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kinda hoping for a Perry Rhodan mod as well, although it is unlikely >_>

18. omnipotentatus

omnipotentatus Second Year

I'm seriously looking forward to this, I've been following the game since they began doing Dev Diaries. Considering that I'm a big Paradox Development Studio fan and have spent nearly a 1000 hours on both EU4 and CK2, and well over a 1000 hours on Vic2, how could I not be hyped for this game?

What I think sounds cool is especially the random tech, I really like the concept of there not really being a tech tree, but rather that you draw a specific amount of random 'cards'. This should make the game random in the sense that, you won't be able to develop a strategy for teching that you use every game. But rather it forces you to adapt to the hand you're dealt with. Combine this with the randomly generated galaxy, and the different types of FTL. And Well I think this has a lot of potential, and from what I have seen on the Blorg stream, and the multiplayer match, it looks to be a great game.

I also like that the endgame crisis mechanic, it will certainly make the endgame interesting.
    I know some people dislike Paradox's DLC model, but I personally love it, for the simple reason that it allows paradox to provide some of the best post-release support in the industry. I mean Crusader kings 2 have been out for 4 years now, and they're still developing DLC's, new features and patches for it. Combine this with their great support of the modding community, and that this game looks even more modable than previous titles, and well I think this is a game that will have a long lifespan. That is not to say it won't have it's flaws, I'm certain it will, but I am also convinced that those flaws will be fixed post-release, no matter if it's a few months or a year from now, at some point it will be fixed.

And for people who are thinking about joining the multiplayer game that is being organised in this thread, the only big problem there is with multiplayer in paradox titles, are OOS (out of synchronization, which forces you to save and restart the game), which has always been a problem. But it appears that they have managed to fix those problems to a certain extant with this game. What I think is fun about it, is that you get to play against other players, who will be plotting against eachother, and banding together in alliances, seeking to take rivals and stuff like that. In the multiplayer games I have been a part of, has involved a great amount of backstabbing among other entertaining things.

19. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Gotta admit, the tech card system is really interesting. I really like the idea that you'll occasionally get 'Rare' cards that you might never see again in that game.

And the situations where you'll have to choose between a Rare and something you've maybe been working towards, like a ship hull upgrade.

Should make games interesting.

20. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Pre-ordered the Nova edition, cause spider.

I'm really looking forward to the species mod that we'll most definitely see.