Stellaris

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, May 1, 2016.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like some great changes on the FTL/terrain/starbase front. I played around with Stellaris on release, and a bit more when Utopia came out, but haven't really got into it properly - mostly because every time I decide what to play, EU4 always looks like the better option. But with these changes I can see myself switching to Stellaris more (and that's just the patch features, never mind the expansion). The problem with Stellaris was always that exploration was fun but actually interacting with other empires/fighting wars etc was an incredible chore and not fun at all. But with changes I can see war being more fun.

2. Teyrn

Teyrn Groundskeeper

Not gonna lie, I had the idea (inspired by HFY reddit, and a few Mass Effect fics) where when an empire has had one of their planets destroyed by the new mega weapons that empire has a chance to get an event where their Ethos/Government change to something akin to Fanatical Purifier's.

So, Imagine Empire A uses a mega weapon on Empire B.

Empire B
    than ends up getting an event wherein their government, inspired by the populace's calls for blood and vengeance, swears to destroy Empire A.

To give Empire B even more of a chance (assuming they're militarily weaker than Empire A) they could potentially also receive 'deserters' from nearby empires who are sympathetic to their cause. (Read: Nearby empires who don't like Empire A using a mega weapon, covertly send reinforcements via event troops to Empire B.)

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

Stellaris has been a huge disappointment for me; as have a lot of other video games recently. The tendency for game developers to release half-baked games and then charge you 120$+ for various expansion and DLC is a plague upon the industry and Paradox is at the forefront of this kind of content. I'm tired of buying a game in 2015 but having to wait until 2018 for it to be anywhere close to what it should've been. Stellaris:Apocalypse is just going to be another iteration of this problem.

4. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, while I agree with you in principle, Stellaris could hardly be called expensive by any stretch of the imagination. The game costs $30, the expansions $15. Story packs $10. By the time this expansion comes out, the cost of the game will be the same as a triple A title.

Not to mention, I've enjoyed playing the game so far, and I'd rather have had it in it's current version, than waiting another year or two till it got up to this standard.

5. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, there's a fundamental difference between the Paradox strategy and the EA one. Paradox games are complete enough on release to give you hundreds of hours of playtime and could be left alone without any DLC and stand on their own. That the DLCs later seem essential, core parts of the game is a testament to Paradox providing substantial expansions rather than using it as a cash cow.

6. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Professor DLP Supporter

So I just bought a new gaming laptop, I'm going to get divinity 2, I've got cities skyline. Would you recommend this, with utopia and synthetic dawn, or TW warhammer 2?

7. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Completely different games tbh. If you like managing your forces in real time battles then go for TWWH2, if that is not a big draw for you, then Stellaris is probably more to your liking. Both are pretty good games though.