1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, May 1, 2016.

1. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Pre-ordered the normal version. Psyched to get to play this, and expecting some great mods as usual with Paradox titles.

2. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I'm rather looking forward to this, it has been entirely too long since I last played a good 4X game. Most of the classics probably don't even run properly on Windows 10.

That said, I've been trying to watch Lets Plays since the embargo on them has been lifted, but it feels like almost every one I've found thus far is played by blind people.

"Oh, I need more power! Hmmm, lets looks to see if there's any here." *Looks around system where two planets have unmined power resources available* "Nope, looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere!"

"Now, what I'm looking for is habitable worlds." *Looks around the nearest systems, two of which have the habitable world icon* "Doesn't look like there any..." *Opens up one of the systems, which has one ideal habitable world and another 60% world* "Nope, nothing."

"Now lets send my ships to this system." *Clicks, ships start spooling their warp drive, with text saying that's what they're doing* "Oh, is it bugged? Why aren't they going? Hmm. Well this is a beta version. That's..." *Ships finish spooling and warp off* "Oh, there we go. Must have been a bug. That will probably be fixed for the release."

Fuck me.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, pre-ordered the normal version, first Overwatch, then this, my poor wallet >_>

Jon
  4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Seriously, May has been bad for my wallet already. :\

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

This. So much.

Yesterday I watched Quill stream. The guy had a planet with 4 Physic research right beside his homeworld. His research was at 9/17/22 or something like that. I actually talked to my screen, telling him to get the fucking research. It took like 5 videos before he realized he had something there.

In the Blorg video, the guy was just completely clueless about enemy ship. There were red ships icons in his system and he'd go: Oh shit, where's the battle? Dude, there's been a fucking enemy fleet in your sector for 10 minutes and you just now realize it?

Ugh, I can't wait to play it myself.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Btw, while Greenman Gaming is offering a 25% discount, it has set the base price for the game at 40€. Imperial Games has the base price at roughly 30€ with a 15 % discount, meaning you just pay about 25€, which is a pretty good deal for the standard edition.

That said, never bought anything there before and while it seems to have worked for now, can only say for sure after I get the key on the 9th.

7. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I pre-ordered the Nova edition off Greenman, it's still like 5~$ cheaper than Steam, so I count that as a Win.

Curse my need for space faring spider-bro's.

8. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd prefer a Saturday since we already have Civ Sundays - I suspect most of the civ crowd are also going to be the Stellaris crowd, but Stellaris Saturdays is catchier, dammit.

9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm partial to Sunday myself, but I can play on saturday as well I guess. I'm up for a multiplayer game, for sure.

10. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

Ive been watching some of the Let's Plays, so far I feel like Ive learn a good deal from watch Quill18. Some of the other youtubers, I keep watching them wondering what they are doing. They are rushing to build mining stations on remote planet but are ignoring developing their home worlds or worse mismanaging their home worlds by building science stations on food production tiles and then later wondering why they have no population growth.

11. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Damn it, I was hoping this would fly under the radar.

Certain people better not pre-order this. You know who you are :x

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I've liked certain games of this type in the past, even if I generally suck at them. I might give this one a shot sometime after release, though Europa Universalis looked a bit intimidating to me.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Greenman has another 25% off from Stellaris with (SPACE25)

14. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I like this guy's Let's Play: Marbozir. Thick accent, so beware if you have difficulty with that. Otherwise, pretty in depth.

Some people still view Paradox games as pretty difficult to get into so this might give a bit of assistance. Other than that, just some good tips.

15. Dansel

Dansel First Year

Thank you for that one, I've been looking for good let's plays. And the accent wasn't that bad.

Gotta say tho, this looks interesting. An excellent game to play when you might only be able to play for 5 or ten minutes every hour because you should be doing something else and just keep it active in the backround =)

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Marbozir does some great Let's Plays. I watched his X-Com 2 LP a month or two back and he's fairly good at the game, but better at making things entertaining.

17. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

So just in case anyone is uncertain as to the actual release of the game: the anticipated release on Steam is at 6:00 PM (CEST). That's 12:00 PM EST for the U.S.

18. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Well, while I'm a bit sad it won't be a midnight release or something, at least I'll get it at 9 AM being in the PST timezone.

19. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

My desire to see Captain America has been trumped by my desire to Make Space Great Again. 11am here in Texas, plenty of exploration time.

20. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I am unreasonably excited for this game. This will be my first Paradox game, but I've played an absurd amount of Civ 5 and done a frankly silly amount of research, so I feel pretty prepared.

I plan to try for a pseudo tall Engineering focused empire that will eventually replace the vast majority of the pops with Synths. Then, rather than expanding outward, I plan to colonize every desolate rock in my borders until my empire hums with the efficient buzzing of synthetic life. Then the conquering begins.

To that end:

Traits
    • Intelligent
    • Natural Engineers
    • Weak
    Ethos
    • Fanatical Materialists
    • Individualists

Government
    Science Directorate​

The traits are obvious, since I want plenty of research and the Robots will provide Mineral labor anyway. Fanatical Materialists is very important for not only the passive 10% Research, because it also gives you access to the Planet Edict Spirit of Science, which is 20% Research output for that planet. Individualists helps offset the massive Energy cost of building Synths. I chose Science Directorate over Despotic Hegemony because the increased research options will allow me to beeline for Robots more easily.

Yep, definitely spent too much time thinking about a game that hasn't released yet...