1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, May 1, 2016.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't play for a few days yet, I've been watching the Marbozir let's play and have enjoyed it, are there any other good informative let's plays out there?

2. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

3. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

OK, I killed some space amoebas... and now I have the option of breeding them in captivity for my fleet.

This game is awesome.

4. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Heh, that happens a bunch of time in Star Trek - silly aliens copying our stuff and then just kinda leaving... :p

I started as default humies, leaving the customizing for when I feel better, and I do notice some serious lag once things start getting big and complicated. I lost my first science ship & scientist to a critical failure (on an event that had like 4% chance of failure) and I was mostly limping to find enough influence in the early game. Never had any trouble getting minerals - I tend towards nearly capping it & spending a ton on a massive fleet of cruisers and whatnot to keep the riffraff out.

Some aliens right across the galaxy hate me for some reason, but they're so far away it's effectively like the netherlands swinging their fist irately at new zealand.

5. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

aside from wary penalty from when you first meet someone, a lot of how much another empire likes you has to do with your ethos. Your able to find more common ground with another empire when your both materialist or both individualist. But if they are on opposite sides of the wheel they are more likely to hate your balls.

As for influence, the best i can off is to not post up outposts all willie-nillie, your going to want to bank influence for when your leaders start dying of old age.

also another piece of advice, early game if you encounter an alien empire, dont bother to research them. Let them do it. It takes society research to communicate with another alien race, and if they are dicking around trying to find out who their neighbors are, that means they aren't researching their colony ship tech

6. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Corvette are really strong late game by the way. With all of your engine upgrades and evasion bonus, you can reach insane speed and evasion. Put some great fire rate weapon on them and harass the hell out of those shields/armor.

EDIT: Time for sleep, sadly.

Here's the result of my game so far. The High Council of Gallifrey made his debut into interstellar flight stuck on all side by xeno. At the top, an alliance formed preventing the Council from expanding further and investigating the mysteries of the cosmos. At the bottom, the same thing happened. The Council did not hesitate to subjugate the xeno and take control of their research facility. It even used them to colonize world not habitable for the Time Lords. Nonetheless, these creatures have no say in the Council itself and are restricted to the working class, as proper.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note: I'm purple, in case you can't see correctly. The blue blobs on both sides are currently my vassals. I'm also at war with the Brown/Orange alliance at the top.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I died. Damned xeno scum whiped me out.

No man died in His service that died in vain.
    It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

I'm back with this mod
    [​IMG]

Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Remember kids, he who allows the alien to live shares in the crime of its existence.

8. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Just got wiped out(well, not really, but as good as) myself =/

Subjugated my neighbor to the southwest, then tried to do the same to my east when I saw his 'Pathetic' rated military.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take note that his pathetic-ness was backed up by a four-man alliance... and it didn't turn out so well. Wiped out his navy at least! It was his friends that got me. The game was going pretty well, too =/.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I play the game for 4 or 5 hours after work yesterday, about 45 or so in game years, and all I can say is that it's amazing.

My first leader was Daphne Greengrass, because why not. I built my empire bonuses around being good at sciencey stuff. My total experience with the game before playing it was watching around half of the Blorg stream, and that's it, so I was still mostly figuring stuff out by myself, which wasn't too bad, once I just started clicking all the interfaces to see what they did. The only one I missed until 50 years in was the empire law screen where you can choose how your empire feels about migration and slavery and things like that. Probably would have been helpful to find it earlier, but I don't think any harm was done.

First major choice for me was whether or not to choose to research colony ships right away. I ended up not doing it and taking a 5% research bonus speed instead, thinking that that would help me more in the long term, but I think getting my second colony up sooner would be smarter.

Anyways, I killed a bunch of space amoeba, crystalline entities, and void clouds. Also killed a bunch of ancient mining drones (one systems had like 20 of them, took forever for my science ship to research all the remains). My army is capped at the moment at 30/30 ships, and slightly over 1k strong. 4 destroyers and one ancient alien ship with level 4 guns that I got from reactivating an ancient spaceport.

Research lately had spiked a lot, thanks in part to me researching a rare tech that allowed me to build a research station that gives +5 of each tech, and a % bonus for the whole world, which pretty much doubled my output. I got one other rare tech which let me make a tower that increased world wide happiness by 10%, which is useful.

So yeah, lots of fun so far, and I'm still in the early game. Now I just have to sit here through work for 9 hours before I can play some more :/

10. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I've played only 4 hours so far. Started off on a medium size galaxy with 4 spiral arms on a race of fanatically materialistic, xenophilic bugs. I wanted to make my race be a short live span with high growth rate bugs but short life spans isn't a trait you can get. My spawn was pretty good, if my race didn't want Arid worlds. As it is; continental, tundra, frozen and ocean planets are everywhere near me. All in all, I still managed to settle 2 planets pretty quickly and everything was going great until I had some amoebas destroy my sole wormhole gate. That pretty much shut down my entire empire for a while and my construction ship was at the edge of my territory where I didn't want to build a gate so I had to build a second construction ship.

As far as other races I've found, everyone hates me. All I want to do is trade, share the wealth, have a large central planet everyone wants to go to but nooooo, everyone around me is spiritualist, zealots, slavers and general assholes. At on point, I was pretty scared of the slavers to the north of me since our borders were touching and they were throwing insults at me and this was just when amoebas were assaulting my warp gate and destroyed some of my army. Quickly went up to two fleets of like 250 strength.

The only xenophiles even remotely close to me are the non-space faring alien races I've found near me. Really considering uplifting one, or maybe both just, so I can have someone on my side.

Also, one of my planets is beginning to concern me. A pollen was found on it that my scientists said was harmless and not that interesting but it turns out is some sort of drug and is making my habitants there not want to migrate and lately it's been starting to look like it may spawn a big problem down the line. Their ethics divergence is at like 5% right now so I'm kind of concerned. And that world is on the border of the Xenophobic Collectivists...

Anarchy: How do you increase the max fleet size? I've only done it accidentally.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Fleet size is based on your pop, so more colonized planets (and more developed planets) means you can get more. Also, there are technologies that do it. I've researched at least one that gives a 10% increase.

12. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So for my first playthrough I was mainly just fucking around just to test how things worked out, had a pretty decent start but I decided to restart after I got fucked over a bit by the wormhole bug, not really expecting to get as good a start as I did before but not really caring because of how salty I was.

Except the RNG smiled upon me and not only did 3 of my 4 starting scientists have Spark of Genius, and I've had them for ages since I have Venerable, my starting system had 12 minerals in it and the surrounding ones were just hilarious good. My world sizes so far have been: 14, 16, 22, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 25, and I'm currently making 45//61/73 research in the different fields with around +45% to each one because of various bonuses.

Honestly my only problem right now is managing my Energy and making sure that I keep a positive(ish) cashflow so I don't get fucked over during wars.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It goes up by +1 with each pop and +6 with each spaceport. Technologies generally give a +X% increase.

14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Spaceports increases your fleet size max, it's the best way to do it. I think the give you like 20 each or something. + Tech bonuses.

Other things to note guys:

Putting your ships in orbit reduces their energy consumption. Keep that in mind. If you look at my screenshot earlier, I'm at like -37 energy per month because of my ships. As soon as they are in orbit around my spaceports, I'm fine.

Don't forget to look at your planetery edicts. Some of them are really badass (+30% research output during 10 years from tht planet, anyone?)

The more pop you have, the more technology cost. Keep that in mind as you expand and make sure you grab some nifty systems with tech otherwise you're going to get fucked.

15. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

My empire so far - I'm the Galactic Spores.

[​IMG]

Am I just lucky, or does the AI really not expand much?

16. Dark Belra

Is that a Spiral map you're playing on? I'm on one as well and the enemy AI is keeping to themselves mostly.

17. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep, two arm spiral.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

So the Psi Jump Drives are classified as dangerous technology, just like Sentient AI.

And while I've seen neighboring empires get fucked by the AIs revolting against them, what exactly is the thing about Psi Jump Drives that makes them dangerous? Does your crew get lost while traveling? Do they go insane and turn rogue?

19. Dark Belra

I have a 4 arm Spiral and my enemies have expanded about as much as yours have except for one race who have colonized 3 or 4 planets. I think spiral is difficult for the AI to expand just from the limited space they have.

I believe it opens a portal to another dimension where monsters from that dimension come and kill you.

20. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Homage to Warhammer 40K I think. There's travel using psionism. And they essentially travel through another realm while doing so, filled with chaos demons and what-not. In Stellaris, similar but you essentially tear open a hole and the Unbidden pour in I think.