1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Story Searches that don't require their own Threads - II

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Dark Minion, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Wasn't that a DLPer who wrote that?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, Raul something. I found a copy of it in the WbA

3. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Huh... I wonder what prompted that.

5. TacosRule

TacosRule Squib

(very belated, but what the hey, I only went back one page)

Was it, by any chance, The Case of the Missing Wizard by Ishtar?

6. James

James Unspeakable

You are a God amongst the squibs, mate, cheers. Have a like :)

Also, might interest @Warlocke

7. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

1. Thanks for finding the story, @TacosRule
    2. Thanks for the heads up, @James.
    3. Son of a bitch. I hardly ever go to FFA anymore, so I concentrated my search efforts on the folders devoted to other sites.
    4. Double son of a bitch. I generally don't read Sherlock stories, but there are so few stories on FFA that, as long as I've read other stories by that author, I tend to save them to my PC, even if I doubt I'll read them later. What this means is that I only read the story a few months ago, and thus limited my search to files dated within the past few months... while the files I saved were from 2015. :rrou:
    5. I was right about it having not updated, though... unfortunately.

8. Zombie

@Warlocke you still on dial up man. Or do you just save fics for the sake of saving?

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

God, no! I've had DSL for years now: Same shitty rural infrastructure, but relatively faster (still >800kb downstream), and I don't tie up the phone line.

I save them because why wouldn't I?

Stories vanish off the internet for any number of reasons, and if you didn't save them when you had the chance, all you can do is regret that you didn't.

Authors will decide to edit a story and you wish you had the original.

Sometimes they delete the original in anticipation of a rewrite they never finish.

If they posted the story on a social media site, like Live Journal, they might let their account lapse and the story vanishes, or they decide to mark it as private, leaving it effectively unavailable.

Sometimes they delete it in a fit of pique or because they're going professional and don't want to be linked to their possibly lame (possibly lame and erotic) fan fiction.

Sometimes the website the story is hosted on closes, or the site deletes it for a rules infraction, or the site loses the story in a crash of some sort and the author never bothers to re-upload it... possibly because they're dead.

Sometimes one of the above happens, and even the author begs the readers to give them a copy, because they didn't keep a copy of their own story, even as a backup! :confused: Who doesn't keep a copy of their own work?

Sometimes an author dies and a friend/family member deletes the account (maybe after a warning of imminent deletion, maybe not).

I'm fairly certain I'm the only reason anyone can still find copies of bk11's stories, or the "more complete" versions of Terminal Justice and Queens of Darkness, Ladies of Light.

Besides, no one's memory is perfect (mine's worse than most), or else this thread wouldn't exist. I'd either forget a story's title or where I found it.

And saving them allows me to search the filenames or contents, without making an online search engine privy to my every move.

Also, I'm as much a digital pack rat as a RL one. I save everything, whether it's stories, pictures, or backups of the April Fools DLP layouts... :eek:

Every once in a while I try to find one of the very first HP stories I ever read, because I didn't save it. All I can remember about it is that it was a Buffy crossover and Umbridge kidnapped Harry near the beginning of the story. It was almost undoubtedly a flaming piece of garbage, and it's a near-certainty that actually reading it would be disappointing, but I really don't care, because it's the not knowing that bugs me.
    The only short posts I write are jokes and sarcastic one-liners.

10. ygrekks

ygrekks Squib

Hey, do you have a ling to this story?
    Harry Potter: Knowledge is Power by SerpentSannin
    I know there is a thread about this fic, but the link doesn;t work. At least for me. And I'm looking for all 60 chapters. Thanks

11. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

The hpfanfic archive link doesn't work for you ? The story is also posted on FFnet and FictionHunt. The number of chapters isn't always the same but as far as I can tell it's the same text, just cut differently (maybe edited by the reposter on FFnet). At least it ends with the same sentences.

12. Zombie

Or you can just search FFN for Knowledge is Power, it's been reposted by multiple dupe accounts, I'm certain.

Also, this link does not work for you? That's straight from the library.

13. ygrekks

ygrekks Squib

Oh okay then. I've found this story at ff.net and then I learned that there are more chapters so I thought than I was missing something. And yes this link from the library is not working for me that's why I asked. Many thanks for answering this quick.

14. Zombie

You may want to check your browser settings if the link I posted doesn't work for you. Because it should.

15. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As the thread suggest I'm looking for a story.
    All I remember from it, it is post Hogwarts, The Ministry eventually piss off Harry enough, that Harry retaliate one of the scenes has Harry summons someone Eye ball.
    IIRC the target was Zabini.

16. Zombie

Pisses him off how? Is he at the ministry when he does the eyeball summoning? Is he an auror, or a teacher, or something else?

17. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC, Harry cornered Zabini in Zabini's office to teach him a lesson and show him, he no longer a doormat, (I think Zabini pissed him enough anyway).
    Not sure if the cliche of marriage law is related.
    I just remember few details from the fic.

18. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Any good stories centered around Harry actively fighting in the war against Voldemort and his Death Eaters?

19. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    A recent one would be ScottPress' Lesser Evils.

If I'm not mistaken, this thread is for stories whose name you can't remember. For recommendations, create a new thread.

20. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Oops, quite sorry! Thanks for the heads up.