1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Straight-Edge by fallacies - T - Worm / Nasuverse(FSN)

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by alfalfalfa, Oct 4, 2015.

1. alfalfalfa

alfalfalfa Squib

Title: Straight-Edge
    Author: fallacies
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Fandom: Nasuverse x Worm
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Shirou Emiya was going to be a superhero, even if it destroyed him.
    Link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/5651-Nasu-x-Worm-Straight-Edge

Unlike many Worm crossovers, this is a complete fusion of the settings (Worm and Nasuverse (Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, etc.)) starring Shirou from Fate/Stay Night. Like in fallacies' other works, the world-building is very well thought out, smoothly explaining away Nasuverse concepts such as magecraft in terms of Worm's shards and Entities, though this comes with the caveat that fallacies has a rather poor record when it comes to actually finishing stories. The action scenes are also well written and thought out, with creative power usage and without the power imbalances often found in Worm fics and crossovers.

Plot-wise, without going into spoilers I can't really say more than that Shirou arrives in Brockton Bay looking for his sister's friend and quickly finds himself embroiled in the cape scene. 5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

This fic could have a lot of potential.

The way the two universes are put together is really interesting. I usually can't be fucked reading glossaries/info dumps the authors will sometimes posted, but somehow I read through the massive one fallacies posted because I found the way he's put the two universes together to be really interesting. How the mechanics of magic all work, their origin and their relationship to cape superpowers. Worth reading.

We also get a lot of snippets over the events of Fate Zero, with Capes mistaking Caster's monster as a new Endbringer. It implies a lot of very interesting things on how various characters have and are going to interact with the Cape world (eg, Gilgamesh joining the S9, Kiritsugu being a known assassin in both worlds, Kotomine becoming a hero, etc).

We've seen some of the Worm characters become really interesting too. Two characters I never thought I'd give two shits about - Oni Lee and Bakuda - are explored in depth and completely transformed.

It still feels very early in the actual plot. It feels like most of the story has been interludes, PRT snippets and world building. Shirou as a main character has been reasonably interesting, avoiding a lot of the annoyances you can get in many crossover fics that have him in such a role and his adventures with Taylor as a sidekick have worked quite well.

It feels too early to judge the story properly. The world building so far has opened the plot for a lengthy epic, with so many things that need to be explored. If that is handled with justice, this could easily be a 5/5. But so far, I think I can only really give it a 4/5 with potential for more.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention:

Please, people: It features Shirou AND Worm. In one great fucked up or not merging. We should have a huge fanbase for this. And all it gets is just one review?

I'll give this another week until November 7 before I move it out of For Review.

4. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

The worldbuilding in this crossover is absolutely fantastic. Fallacies seems to have a clear vision of this fused Worm / Nasuverse world. I also read that appendix Fallacies posted and the author has done a neat job of tying together Nasuverse mechanics with Worm's mythos and cosmology.

While events appear to be centering around Brockton Bay with the misadventures of Shirou, Taylor, and others, I'd be really interested in a look at other areas of Nasuverse / Worm interaction. Just how did the whole Arcueid / Shiki Tohno bit go down here, if at all? Does Garan Do and Shiki Ryogi exist here and come up across parahumans, or even outright recruit parahumans? Lots of juicy territory to explore here and I'm eager to see where the author takes the fic next.

However, like Jarik said, it feels far too early to really rate this fairly. Tons of potential in this one though -- definitely a fic to watch and I hope the author continues to return to this.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. cancelled for a

cancelled for a Second Year

I haven't read it yet, so I'm going to say my piece. I'm hesitant to read this, so I'm going to give you a list on why.

Fusion between Worm and Fate will never, ever work. Simply because of the tremendous amounts of butterflies.

- Capes coming into play would have magus' all over the world scrambling to get their bodies for dissection.

- Scion and Eden would have easily noticed the supernatural side of the world, and send a few shards towards them.

- Dragon would have easily noticed the subculture hidden beneath the modern society due to her incredible thinker abilities. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if thinkers doesn't take notice of the hidden world.

- Every supernatural side of the world (including Gaia and Alaya) will have reasons to stop the Endbringers, simply due to their sheer danger they present. And lets not forget that Gaia and Alaya should be able to sense the Entity known as Scion, sending waves after waves of their best to put him down the instant Scion and Eden touch down. (which will obviously fail). Because they should know the (literally) world ending threat.

- And I have no doubt at all Zizz will direct her target at the most dangerous threats on the supernatural side ie. Dead Apostle Ancestors, the Church, and the Clocktower. I have every confidence the Endbringers would win it quite easily.

There's just too many butterflies to take note of.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

You can't claim there's "too many butterflies to take note of" when you haven't even read it yet.

Everything you mention has been accounted for and pretty damn well. In all sorts of complex and imaginative detail in that glossary chapter I linked. If you're still hesitant to give it a read, just go skim through that glossary and I think you'll be pretty pleasantly surprised on how well everything comes together.

For example, Alaya herself is an entity who landed here a long, long time ago.

There's a reason why we're all gushing over the worldbuilding...

7. cancelled for a

Alaya... is a what!?

Okay, see, that pisses me off. I'm going to back off now, because I'm not going to touch this fic.

8. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

...what exactly about those things is incompatible? Alaya's importance stems from it's function, a function that is preserved.

Works especially well given we know Entities are paired, in this case being a Gaia and Alaya pairing.

9. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Reading between the lines, is the implication here that Kiritsugu killed Jack Slash? And later on, we find that Gilgamesh joins the S9... so has Gilgamesh taken over for Jack Slash?

Some serious butterflies with that. Gilgamesh and Scion interacting for instance would be interesting to say the least. (Gilgamesh was able to make his peace with Angra Mainyu -- would he be able to do something similar with Scion?)

10. cancelled for a

Gilgamesh joining S9 is about as likely to occur as he is to kneel before Shirou.

Not going to happen.

He would remove the stain that is the s9 due to them being unworthy. Either they kneel before him, or they die. Simple as that.

This story continues to piss me off.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

...how do you know they didn't kneel before him? Jack's smart enough to tell Gil "oh, you're totally right my King, you're totes in charge" and manipulate him from there.

12. fire

fire Order Member

Excellent story - both on the macrolevel (the merging of the worlds) and on the microlevel (fitting Shirou into Brockton Bay, along with the other characters like Bakuda into a coherent narrative).

Too bad it's on permanent hiatus?

13. RandomAsianPerson

RandomAsianPerson Squib

High Score:
    Great story, but I suspect like many other of fallacies' work we may never see the end of this one...

14. biloly

biloly First Year

High Score:
    I like the story a lot. A quick question about the world-building, though; isn't the goal of the entities the reversal of entropy to prevent the heat death of the universe? In that case, wouldn't the first True Magic, the Denial of Nothingness, be exactly what they are searching for? But this story says that Magic is the result of access to unrestricted shards... I suppose it could just be a misunderstanding of the nature of the Denial of Nothingness on my part.

15. fire

fire Order Member

Presumably it means that True Magic isn't really True Magic in the canonical Nasuverse sense. It's not the Daniel of Nothingness, it's (e.g.) the transportation of matter from parallel worlds.