1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Structure of the Wardens and Apprenticeship

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zege, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Zege

Zege Squib

I'm beginning work on a Dresden Files fanfic, and I need to know how the Wardens are structured. I know there are Regional Commanders, and one over-arching Commander (Luccio), but I'd like to know it a little more in-depth. Is there canon information on this, or even accepted Fanon?

I'd also like an opinion on apprenticeship. Would it be considered normal for a father to have his son as an apprentice?

2. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think you'll have to talk to Jim himself about this. But don't worry, he's around here somewhere. Just look for LittleChicago, he'll hook you up.

3. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

4. Zege

Zege Squib

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm going to assume you're up-to-date on the books?

Well, if not, skip me.

We have at least one canon example of a man apprenticing his own daughter, though he kept that fact a secret for political and safety reasons. That man later was master to his own grandchild, too, though again, it was kept secret.

So, I guess, yes, but we don't hear much about it for various reasons.

I just imagine a kid having a screaming fit in a restaurant or a mall, and everyone staring at the parent, thinking, "Where did you go wrong?", only amplified 1000 times by the fact that the kid might have burned said mall down. It makes me giggle.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Keep in mind that magic appears (It could be argued Harry was lying when he said that) to pass down more through the mother than the father, so a father apprenticing his son might have needed a magical mother/lover involved to produce him.

As LC said there are examples in canon of apprenticeships within an immediate family, but apart from the family mentioned I can't really think of any other wizards who have magical family that close. Liberty and Luccio both reference extended families at some point or other, but neither seems to have any magical members apart from themselves. Granted neither of them seems to have had children, just extended family.

Now that it's been pointed out it's kind of odd how few members of the WC seem to have kids. Maybe we just don't hear about it given that Harry has little reason to know about the personal lives of most WC members. Or maybe there's a reason we don't know of yet. Damnit, curiousity!

7. Portus

Portus Heir

I'm no Dresden expert, though I've thoroughly enjoyed the novels, but it seems to me that prudence would have members of the White Council pretty tight-lipped about any kids they have, if for no other reason than safety of the kid(s) and themselves.

Think about how many enemies you could accumulate over the centuries-long lifespans of most powerful wizards. Now, think how any power wielded from the [what's the name of the top WC board?] and how that could be compromised by one member's kid(s) being kidnapped or threatened?

I imagine Dresden's fear for his own daughter is way more than most would have, but I'm betting anyone with power is going to be the exact opposite of forthcoming with that kind of info.

8. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If male wizards could have magical children, the Dresden world would be quite different. The only reason why the White Council hasn't eradicated vampires and other monsters that prey on humanity is that they lack the numbers to do so. With some ruthlessness and a little magical charm a single male wizard could father hundreds of children per year. Even if they didn't resort to such unpleasant ways of propagating, there would still be at least twice as many wizards. Probably more as male wizards can be assumed to stay fertile longer than their female counterparts.

9. Zege

Zege Squib

Thanks for all the response guys, you've been a great help. And Cheddar, I do have a magical mother involved, so no worries there.

10. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

A bit late on this, but I thought it was worth mentioning:

Charity used be a.. wizard... and produced Molly. However, Charity has had a ton of kids, and I think I remember something about Jim Butcher saying that none of her other kids will have that particular talent. This would seem to imply that it's fairly rare for the talent to be passed on, and that would explain why there are so few wizards.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I remember that, but I recall Butcher saying something about Molly being born with magic because Charity had been using it actively shortly before Molly was conceived, whereas she had "buried" that talent before any of her other kids were produced. So if she had continued using her magic later kids would have been more likely to have it as well.

I also think he said that the later kids could probably drum up some small ability if they really tried to.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After all the wizards the war in the books wiped out, I'm just waiting for Harry to say something about having to "sex to survive"as wizards to replace their numbers, lol.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, as of Changes the Wardens have more numbers than they had before the war (it worked out at about 200 Wardens killed during Dead Beat, and Harry states they have 300 during Turn Coat). Only problem with that is that the group of 200 Wardens were all veterans and old enough that neuromancy is less of a threat, whereas now they have an army full of impressionable newbies, which Peabody took advantage of. Harry may well have been the second most powerful Warden in the world after Turn Coat, which says a lot when we hear about Morgan carving a solitary bloody trail almost to the Red King himself.

14. Portus

Portus Heir

I miss Morgan.

(I can't believe I've said that, because he was an absolute bastard.)

15. Midknight

I mean in general wizards, not just wardens. Remember the mist fiend that got released wiped out a small chunk of that chamber.

16. Aekiel

High Score:
    Ah, fair point, though it's still not a matter of reproduction as it is finding new Wizard level talents before they go warlock. There are about 7 billion humans in the world, if one in a million of those is a Wizard level talent that's still 7000 Wizards on the planet. Last I heard the White Council didn't have near that many.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At the moment they do not. LaFortier's supporters were from, as Dresden put it, the under represented/developed South-East Asia and African countries. Countries with a cultural belief in large families if I'm not totally mistaken. Building off of that I'd say the WC membership was around 2000, 2500 at most. That is from the Old School of magic mind you, if they get on track with finding wizard level talent they're numbers would probably double in half a century.

As for wizard casualties, they've been almost entirely contained within the Wardens. The only times the average member of the Council would be caught in the crossfire would be at Archangel (possibly), the isolated members picked off during the opening salvo's of the war, some casualties of RC raiding parties in the Nevernever and however many wizards the mistfiend managed to pick off in the 5ish seconds it took the Senior Council to take control. So, outside of the Wardens, I'd say the total number of casualties is less then a hundred wizards.

18. Midknight

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    I think so. I recall Ebenezar turning up when Rashid broke the circle surrounding the trial and saying they had some wounded kids to take care of. Michael took out a couple of Outsiders in that battle too.

Anyone remember when it was that the Merlin and the Gatekeeper held off some Outsiders with a ward?

20. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Dead Beat iirc.