1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Summer 2017 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

That's saying something, considering how pretentious SNAFU is.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    SNAFU isn't really THAT pretentious, some characters are, but the series itself? This on the other hand? It constantly tries to show how smart it is. It even has random deep quotes instead of episodes' titles.

3. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    So late to the party, but one that was recommended to me by a friend is Princess Principal. And holy shit. I'm not typically a fan of the "cute girls doing cute things" genre of anime, because let's be honest, most of it is yuri moe-shit, and I ain't about that life. But my friend recommended it to me, and I was like, "Okay, I'll watch the first two episodes."

I was blown the fuck away. So if you want to watch something that's steampunk cute spy girls doing spy things in Cold War London at the beginning of the 20th century, give it a shot. (Regarding the steampunk bit: I was worried it was going to go full cogsworth and goggles. I need not have worried. The steampunk aesthetic is spot-fucking on.)

tl;dr? I don't usually watch anime. It says something that I'm like "WOAH FUCK DUDE THAT'S AWESOME."

4. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Just getting around to trying stuff from this season, but everything I tried was pretty meh. The exception being Gamers, which has been surprisingly fun.

5. Pure Infinity

In terms of pure enjoyment, I think Tsurezure Children is probably my favorite show this season. It's a rom-com following various high schoolers in the early, awkward stages of their relationships. It's absolutely hilarious. Each episode is only 12 minutes long, but the I've gotten more out of this than I have most rom-coms.

6. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I watched the first episode of it. It's...something else? It's funny, but also very cringe.

7. Pure Infinity

The cringe is part of what makes it funny. It gets even cringier as it goes along. Nothing on the level of, say, WataMote, but the cringe humor is definitely strong in it.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Princess Principal is great. I'm on episode 5 and am of the opinion that its the best show of the summer. I like the noir atmosphere, the plot, and the character designs. The characters themselves aren't really fleshed out much yet. It makes sense though, as spies wouldn't easily open up and give potential information and weaknesses away.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tried the first episodes of Made in Abyss, Kakegurui, Shoukoku no Altair, New Game 2, Ballroom E Youkoso and Princess Principal.

Made in Abyss looks really interesting in terms of worldbuilding and atmosphere, Kakegurui is fun to watch due to its facial expressions and main character, New Game 2 is a cute fell good time waster, Princess Principal had a decent opening which seems good enough.

Dropped Ballroom after 2 eps, was just bored overall. Might get better but dunno. The art is weird, the necks are too long and otherwise is just a generic sports anime where the sport isn't that interesting to me. Maybe if the animation was better.

Altair, think the first ep was okay-ish but even though I really liked the manga, haven't had the desire to check out any more of this.

Think that's still form last season but Re:creators i kinda dropped after ep 10 or so. The death of the most compelling character kinda did that to me.

Am on the fence on Bahamut.

10. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Yeah, watching the first 3 eps, I couldn't help but notice there were a lot of still shots for the ballroom dancing. Bleh.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Still havent got on the Princess Principal hype train. I caught up on BnHA, still a pretty decent show. Also still following New Game 2, Nenecchi is the best character and I want her to make games full time.

Bahamut is a real dilemma for me, I really enjoyed season 1, and the first half of this season. But the new OP and ED are just not as good as the first set, and the seeming descent of the character writing. Things like the central romance, the jobbing of old favourites and Mugaro's development just felt poorly handled.

Shokoku no Altair is a no go for me, as someone who read the manga the show just doesnt hold up to the art style of the original.

I did catch the new episodes of Owarimonogatari, and I think they did a pretty dang good job with it. It wasnt my favourite monogatari story but it was solid nonetheless. With the addition of Kizumonogatari the series has become a classic to me.