1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Sunset/Sunrise Over Britain by Bobmin356 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Giovanni, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The Pet Peeves annoyed me. I mean, in one of them, they go on and on about how everyone around a Godlike Harry suddenly gets powers of their own. Then they turn around and give Hermione a fucking staff. A staff for fuck's sake.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

A case of the pot calling the kettle black...

3. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Lets not forget that Hermiones parents are not wizards as well. :wink:

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I stopped reading way before that, I'm suprised you guys didnt.....

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha, yeah, forgot about that. An even better example. I guess that other authors can't give everyone powers, but they can make muggles into wizards!

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just checked back into this, or rather the sequel to it, Sunrise, they've made strides in getting something to happen finally.

They brought back an ancient teacher to hold everyone's hand and finally get some decent action going it sounds like.

The teacher? Oh yeah, he's one of the founders of the made up society Harry named, who turned out is really a group of super power wizards from celtic times. What a coincidence!

Considering Harry and co. are about braindead in this series, you get treated to assloads of the old world type speak, being shoved down your throat, while the old guy shoves stuff in your face.

The amount of whiny crap and angst (Whaa I don't want Hermione to see me naked, despite having boned her numerous times b/c I have some scars) has stepped up several notches.

I find it also disturbing they rip off kitchenware related attacks in their opener A/n's

7. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Ehn, not to be contrary, but I don't think they rip DLP.net off with this particular kitchenware. The 'Robin Hood' movie with Kevin Kostner(sp?) way back in the '90s had a scene between the Sherrif of Notingham and one of his cronies going like this:
    On the plus side in Sunrise, there are many, as they call them, 'Wizzard's gizzards' or whatever, i.e. DEs getting blown up like watermelons thrown from the 15th floor. :twisted:

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

*sigh*

Their writing quality has really gone downhill... To many idea's/sub-plots/characters all fighting for story space.

9. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Not to mention that updates are now far in between, nothing like the 10days-chapters from Sunset. It was an ambitios project for the authors - write a story full of things they dislike/disagree with. Obviously enthusiasm left them and now they are just trying to save face. I'm not so sure they'll manage though. *sigh* And there were thing in thiese two stories that I liked.

10. Midknight

Never encountered the movie, I stand corrected, as in this case it most likely is indeed the movie they were referencing, but then again, since they've showed here before and told us all to go to hell, you never know, lol.

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

It is from the movie. They've been using Alan Rickman's other recognizable roles, as the Sheriff in Costner's Robin Hood, as Hans in Die Hard, as Metatron in Dogma, etc... Course why they chose that movie and line you could speculate on. Probably is his most recognizable line in one of his most recognizable roles.

But when did they drop by and tell everyone to go to hell?

12. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Getting off topic a little bit but I think it's worth mentioning to those who aren't familiar with the movie that the Sheriff of Nottingham is played by Alan Rickman, who also plays Snape in the Harry Potter films (not to mention Hans Gruber in the original Die Hard ^^), and he delivers the 'I'll cut your heart out with a spoon!' line like a true pro.

EDIT: beaten by nonjon. /sigh

13. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

A part of me likes this story but for the most part do I find Harry to be a
    little whining brat who needs to be told what to do constantly by someone and when he finally decides to do something without asking someone so does everyone get pissed at him.

Another thing that I dont like is that Harry just takes all the ship people throw at him, most of the wizarding world hates him but he wants to rescue them against their will, also he does all these things that everyone else says are supposed to be impossible but he still wont do anything against the students that outright attack him or his girlfriend.

14. Midknight

ug.

I checked back in hoping for something interesting to happen, as I genuinely like the general idea of the fic.

Nope, Harry still constantly gets hurt and passes out, I'm not shitting you, at least every other chapter. the guy's the end all be all of magic.. and he gets his ass beat nonstop. What the fuck.

Dumbledore shaves completely I liked to use as a disguise, but this evil Dumbledore shit is poorly written. Voldemort's siphoning off his followers powers using an elixirs.. gee... meh.

If they picked up the damned pace, stop making Harry such a pussy, and for the love of christ, stop it with the damned fluffy bullshit everytime the female author gets near the keyboard, itd mesh better. Having a average battle scene, then go into Oh.. Harry got hurt again, lets do 3 pages of fluff bullshit, justs makes for poor reading. I find myself hitting page down a ton to skip stuff.

Luna makes angels out of nowhere, by sapping into Harry's power, etc. Just random shit keeps happening. I've said before in this thread that I liked the idea of this fic, Voldemort takes over all of Britian, but they've got to figure out wtf they're doing.

Having a Harry strong enough to ward a fucking COUNTRY, then make him unable to take a simple bludgeoning hex without passing out, if hands down retarded.

This is the first fic I've read in a very, very long time, and I'm sad to say with the current fanon the way it is, with this being one of the better fics supposedly, it's no wonder I stopped

I mean, who wouldn't want to read this.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yes I agree completely with this fic being bad now. It used to be good when I first read it. I followed it constantly and it went way down hill. Its very long and the idea is good but yes Harry is patheic and has the power to end all life that has ever existed, exists, or ever will exist and he is a pathetic little pussy(Im sorry to disgrace cats but its true.)

16. Midknight

Lets see, I'm still browsing through it, and in the last 14 chapters he's seriously been injured, or borderline dead at least 6 times now. This latest one he's in a coma for some reason, yet despite being in a life threatening position, they stuff fluff it up

Someone needs to get the chick the fuck away from the keyboard, or give Bob his penis back

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Aha. What the fuck, Midknight? I was thinking, "Shit, people are still posting in this thread? What's going on!?"

...And shouldn't this be binned? I'm surprised we missed it.

18. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    Color me strange but I loved both of these stories.

I've been called strange before tho. But, seriously, I thought the writing was excellent even if the plot itself could use some work. I've certainly read (and enjoyed) worse than this.

I really enjoyed the last two chapters of the story and look forward to the rest!

19. Midknight

It's certainly borderline

I left it here initially though, due to the unique angle of Voldemort taking over both muggle and magical Britan. Their use of humans and wizards is decent, and it could actually be a contender I'd rave about, if not for the pussy!Harry constantly flopping to superman mode then back to wuss mode, and the stupid relationship crap. The whinyness ruins it, and the complete way it drags it's feet as well.

I finished it last night, and the last several chapters were good (not the very last 2, though, those were horrid!) I especially liked Cho Chang the sex slave going apeshit and bashing Snape's head in with a cauldron

20. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

How did this make it into the library???
    The story is well below the quality standard usually seen here