1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Supernatural

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, May 17, 2007.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

You are aware that the phone's presence isn't what let the ghost appear, right?

It was the fact that there was a Wifi signal at all available in the cellar. Which made Dean destroying every electronic device in the room amusing.

I dunno. I watch a lot of TV, and maybe it's just the 10 years invested in the show, but I can tell you even with all the corny story lines, it still holds my attention better than a lot of other stuff.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Supernatural is pretty shit, has been for quite some time, but the reason I am still watching is a) I have been watching for a few years now and dumped god knows how many hours in the show, so, yeah, might as well finish it and b) they occasionally do something good and promising, and it's either the episodes where they stop taking themselves so seriously or those where they try to explore some truly interesting and complex themes.

Unfortunately, they fail at that.

So, this season has been better than the last few, although it is still pretty distant from good. They are destroying Crawley and I am skipping the parts with his mother, since I honestly don't give a single fuck about that plot-line, it is that atrocious. Unpleasant.

The whole mark of Cain thing is just boring, since it isn't exactly anything new and I still stand by the point that Dean with the mark doesn't behave all that differently to Dean without the mark. Either way, he is a violent jerk.

Sam is still boring and sidelined, and the issues between the brothers are always the same, every season.

Castiel has also overstayed his welcome, so, not sure what his point is any more.

That said, the most interesting episode, after the excellent musical/fanfiction episode, was the episode(s) featuring Claire Novak, Jimmy Novak's daughter, the body that Castiel is using.

That was genuinely interesting, and I kinda want to see that explored more. Don't get me wrong, the execution was cookie cutter, predictable and gave the moral high ground to the wrong people, what with Claire's new family being criminals who sell her to rapists, of course, but there is a lot of potential with her character.

Would love to see more of her as there is interesting stuff one can do with her. She has potential and while she does not have the charisma of Krissy Chambers, (the girl who was sort of Dean's apprentice) she doesn’t need to. I could see a spin-off working with the two.

Heck, have the series with those two finding shelter under Sheriff Jody and her newly adopted daughter and some occasional assistance be Charlie and you would have have a good ensemble with a different set of characters, who are, by and large, the best people still alive in the supernatural verse.

You have Krissy as the the leader, the most active and responsible of the bunch who is still reckless in a lot of ways and has some growing up and learning to do but as far as tactics go and hunting, is actually pretty good. Human through and through, but pragmatic and driven.

Then you would have Claire, who, if she gained angelic powers, which I really think she should, either the watered down version the current angels have by absorbing the grace of a dead angel or maybe a last present from Castiel who does so before he finally dies.

Could be actually a good redemption point if she remains an active character. Best way to protect someone is to teach them how to protect themselves, so, I can see Castiel teaching her a few things, preparing to bestow his grace upon her.

As far as character development goes, she would have trust issues, naturally, and clashes with authority, such as Jody and even Krissy. I do feel though that Krissy would be the one who would advocate for caution more than others, knowing that at times, the people who pay the price are not the ones who perform an action and would think of people they might indirectly influence, whereas Krissy would be more goal oriented and Alex a bit indifferent.

Or she has some sort of sensing ability or perception of the supernatural or anything. Just, she was possessed by an angel and was born to do so, so, there should be something supernatural about her. Full blown angel power-set, omnipresence, healing, flight and all would be neat but that would make things too easy for the main cast since there are very few things who can stand against a fully powered angels.

The show has to duct-tape the idiotball into their hands so they can be shanked like morons in order to kill them off, like they do with the gods. Then again, could be that the power is draining or hard to use or whatever. There is stuff to be done on that front.

Jody would be the mentor of the group and the moral core, and with her is Alex, who had a case of nearly becoming a vampire, and is a bit more flexible with them and more callous.

Charlie is Charlie, would be an interesting character who shows up from time to time, either with a case or just to check up on them.

If one wants a connection to Dean and Sam, well, interestingly enough, you have different perspectives on them. Krissy and Jody have mostly positive experiences with the Winchester’s, Claire would hate them, and rightfully so and I don’t think neither Krissy nor Jody would try to say “they are nice guys, we swear” and Alex would be ambivalent, as they wanted to kill her but still didn’t. Can’t imagine she would like them all that much, but wouldn’t hate them either. Would work as a mediator.

So, three young girls with different personalties, experiences and outlooks on life, all have various brushes with the supernatural. Could make for some interesting episodes and stories. Never going to happen, of course, but maybe a good fanfic….

3. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So I realized I hadnt thought or checked on supernatural in a while, did a quick check and apparently..

Dean killed Death and there is a new bad called The Darkness, who has existed since before existence and God couldn't kill.

So, that's now a thing.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Season 11 premiered earlier in the week. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as past season premieres.

One thing that got my interest was
    Michael & Lucifer making noise in the cage. I would love to see them again. Especially Lucifer.

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

It's bad when I didn't even think to catch the season premiere....

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bland episode for the most part. Highlight was certainly
    mention of the cage. But even if they do bring back Lucifer with say the same actor, I have zero faith that they would not butcher him at this point

8. YoungGunz

YoungGunz Squib

Whenever I watch this show I am always left wondering if this season is finally going to be it's last, wasn't it supposed to end around the lucifer arc. It's become something I only catch up on when there is absolutely nothing else to do.

9. Maphisto40

Maphisto40 First Year

High Score:
    Alright, I know the general quality of this show has declined over the years, but that last episode (11x04 'Baby') was one of the best they've done in forever. I was initially apprehensive when I learned that the entire episode was going to be from the perspective of the Impala, but I think they pulled it off brilliantly.

Then again, Robbie Thompson wrote the script, and I have loved everything that man has ever done on SPN. I should have had more faith. It must have been a technical nightmare to shoot, so kudos to the director and camera dept.

After my first watch, I immediately watched it again. Did anyone else enjoy it as much as I did?

10. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I actually enjoyed the second episode the most in this season. 4th episode comes after that.

11. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Series 10 is being shown in the UK at the moment. I've been getting fairly disillusioned with the show for the last few series...but tonight I finally got to see 'Fanfiction'. Which is just all kinds of brilliant. It's nice to remember just how good this show can be when everyone is on form.

13. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

This twist with the Darkness/Amara being
    God's sister
    is interesting and has the potential to lead to a good storyline.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Can someone give me an episode list for the central plot?

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    For the current season? It's actually been all central plot, really.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, caught up on Supernatural, and while last season remained below meh, not counting the fanfiction episode, which was probably their damn best one up to date, season 11 (oh god, I watched 10 full seasons of Supernatural, for over 5 years now), looks decent.

Crowley's mother has to be one of the least pleasant people ever, she is more repulsive and unlikeable than freaking Umbridge, and every second she is on screen, I hate her. Thankfully, her presence got either more tolerable as it went on or I just have gotten used to her but I am hoping she will be gone soon enough.

Crowley keeps disappointing, I want his old badassery back and for a second I thought we had that, when his eyes went red when Sam was trying to kill him, and that the hexbag was to purge the humanity out of him, to get him back to form, but apparently, not really. Now, have him try to control the Darkness and that played out as expected, so, really want him to be this threatening presence again.

Castiel is only good at one thing only, and that's killing angels. He just gets suckered by others and then he somehow fucks over whatever angel is left.

Metatron is hit and miss, at times, he is enjoyable, at others, he's just annoying.

Dean and Sam are recycling old plot threads again and again. Always, one of them is marked by something, often both of them. They each lie to each other for various reasons, go behind the back of the other and bla bla bla, it happens every season to some degree or another. It's just asinine at this point. At the very least, I am glad that if they die, they are going to stay dead.

Speaking of dead, poor Bobby. The brothers screwed up his afterlife, and wasn't that a ripoff? Heaven is being is stuck alone in one room for all eternity? Granted, room is a nice room, but come on. So, wonder what happened to him, is he still there or was he cast down to hell? Not that the brothers care.

Hope we see Claire again at some point, I realize she is never going to join the main cast in any capacity, and if she appears again, it will be to die, but I kinda want to see what she will do with that angel blade of hers. I am also hoping that she will slit some angel's throat to get their grace, (apparently it's laughably easy to steal an angel's grace) probably is written how to do it in the book Dean gave her. Unlikely, yeah, but something I'd like to see. Anyway, she is now with Jody and that other vampire survivor girl, so, would like to see an episode starring all of them. Where they don't die like every other woman on Supernatural.

The whole darkness thing is pretty meh in general. Like, interesting, maybe, but dunno, Supernatural does not do extremely powerful beings well because they still only have the budget to have them stretch their arms and throw others semi roughly across the room or freeze them in their tracks. And we all know that this is going to end by someone stabbing her with something, like almost every other enemy they have faced. And if not through a stabbing, then a spell.

I love that the cage is going to play a larger role again, hoping to see Michael and Lucifer again.

But, here and there, they manage to be creepy, like the masks in episode 7 were just plain eerie, though that's less on Supernatural and more due to the fact that some masks and statues, with the right music accompanying them, are just terrifying. To their credit, they did pick the right music.

I like the sheriff they worked with in this episode, she's a fun and energetic character.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  17. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Watching random episodes, atmo. Watching Castiel meet Claire Novak again in Season 10 has me thinking of all the female characters this show utterly wasted over the years.

Also, I am both attracted and impressed by Rowena's actress. She's quite a breath of fresh air, and her brogue doesn't hurt one bit.

Edit-1: Watching more episodes now, this is completely destroying any menace Crowley had, but goddamn if she's not amusing.

Edit-2: Claire Novak and Rowena are being used quite well so far. I'm getting dangerously optimistic.

Edit-3: I'm kind of shipping Castiel/Rowena atmo. I don't know why, but I stand by it.

Edit-4: Mark of Cain! Dean just killing everything he sees is fun. I just wish the brothers wouldn't be so angsty about it.

Edit-5: Death! I love this guy. Wish he could just come around so often just to chill.

Edit-6: Wow, another great evil in The Darkness. Wow. So interest. Much hype. Not.

Edit-7: Wow, Mark of Cain! Dean just pointing all the dickery those two did over the years. Still haven't seen a mention of their half-brother though. Poor Adam.

Edit-8: Eh. Easier to care about Supernatural when you're not following it regularily. Can't remember the last full season I watched (maybe the one where Cas went god-mode?), but it's good for occasionally dipping back in. Not unlike Castle, actually.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  18. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Lucifer is returning

19. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't watched the show since all the
    Angels fell from Heaven
    . Whenever I recommend the show to anyone, I always tell them to watch upto the Season 5 finale and not continue with Season 6 unless they want to possibly tarnish their memories of an amazing show.

Can someone possible give me a summary of what's happened siince the
    Angels fell from Heaven
    in about a hundred words or so? I'm hearing stuff about The Drkness and The Mark of Cain but if The Darkness was around before
    God then God is not God since something must have created The Darkness in the first place. The very definition of God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, etc.

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It's been revealed that The Darkness is God's sister and God locked her away. Darkness didn't come before God, but at the same time as him. Nothing else has really been revealed.

There hasn't really been any very interesting story lines since the Angels fell. I'm starting to enjoy the side episodes like this weeks more than the overall plot episodes to be truthful.