1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

My $800 Acer feels fine, not cheap, with a ATI videocard that can actually run Skyrim at 30fps with some tweaking. Acer's aren't bad at all imho.

Edit: That being said almost any laptop you buy from a retail store will be a giant piece of shit. Go straight from manufacturer, or newegg or something.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So comparing these two laptops, can i differentiate the better of the two? In specs, the look virtually identical except for screen size and resolution. Also, one of the commented mentioned "bloatware" (the Acer), is this stuff hard to remove? I'm obviously going to install my own anti-viral and the like, and i'm tech savvy enough to remove it if it only requires for me to go to the control panel, but the phrase "the usual bloatware" makes me anxious.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have an Acer. Wasn't too much to go through and remove/change (and most of it was doable from Remove/Change Programs in the Windows 7 Control Panel). They might be exaggerating a bit.

4. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

That Acer has better hardware, but it's somewhat mitigated by the larger screen.

Bloatware isn't hard to remove, it's just tedious. If you're able to uninstall programs it isn't a problem, just time consuming. I've never actually used it, but I've heard the PC Decrapifier works well for semi-automatic bloatware removal if you're interested.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

PC decrapifier is good, beware though that it might remove some manufacturer utilities if you're not careful (I lost the use of my function keys on a Samsung netbook and had to download the software again). Make sure you read through the list, google any software you don't know.

6. Wildfeather

High Score:
    So I ordered the Acer with 17" screen, and since I'm going to be fairly mobile with it I was thinking if getting a laptop bag, are there any good places online to order one? The ones here at the local Office Depot are nice, but I might pay extra for a theme one or something else that is interesting about them.

7. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

Oh I didn't know there was a spec thread here I'll post my two current rigs, though my desktop will be upgraded soon with SLi video cards soon I hope; I've been saving up my EVGA bucks.

My Laptop (ASUS G73SW):

Processor:Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM
    Chipset:Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    RAM: 8G DDR3 1333 MHz (I think) SDRAM
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 460m clock speeds 700/1400/1000 for Folding at Home, 725/1450/1200 for Gaming
    Storage: 750GB 7200 rpm Scorpio
    Optical Drive:pioneer DVD Combo

Desktop (The Chill):
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4.9 GHz Prime 95,Folding at Home, and Daily use 24/7 stable
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H60 Push Pull Fan Configuration
    Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    RAM: G Skill Sniper Series 16GB 4x4GB 1.35v 1600 MHz
    Power Supply: XFX Black Edition 750W 80Plus Silver
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 460 768mb clock speeds 800/1600/2000
    Storage: 1 TB Seagate Baracuda 7200 rpm 64 mb cache, 1.5 Western Digital Green Caviar with variable rpm 32 mb cache, 2 TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 rpm SATA 6gb/ps 64 mb cache
    Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Custom Paint.
    Screen: Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR9 32" LCD HDTV
    Sound: Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1 Home Theater Surround Sound

Looks like the question was already answered but I'll just post some of my views in regards to laptops which I hope help others, acers are decent although I've had problems with them being either easy to break or they have hardware faults. I haven't had any problems out of Sony, Toshiba, Dells and HPs are mixed bags of nuts though if you wanted an Alienware (lol) just get a really high end Dell they're the same thing mostly. I haven't ever had to use or work on a Samsung laptop so I can't say anything there.

Personally I LOVE my ASUS several people have knocked me out of my chair and it off the table (while on) several time the case has popped apart and snaps right back together. If it outlasts my BestBuy 2yr warranty unlikely but I can hope? as none of my laptops have been able to keep up with my demands for more than a year and a half to just under two years before giving out. Though if one did it'd be this one.

A general rule of thumb wider + heavier equals tougher sturdier laptop (more powerful most of the time as well of course you'd need to look at the specs first)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heavier, powerful laptops also have much greater heat control problems. I think "desktop replacement" laptops that you use for gaming etc. are always going to die faster than basic laptops that you just use for internet and word processing.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh, just noticed that I didn't post my desktop specs after I built it (with some help from DLP) back in February 2011.

• Dell Ultrasharp U2211 21.5" monitor (1920x1080 IPS)
    • AMD x4 965 Black Edition CPU (Quad Core 3.4 GHz)
    • Asus Motherboard (ATX USB3 AM3 SATA 6Gb/s)
    • Radeon 6850 1Gb (Gigabyte)
    • 8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws)
    • 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Harddrive (7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s)
    • 650W PSU (Corsair 650TX)
    • LITE-ON DVD Writer (24x)
    • Coolermaster HAF 912 Case
    It ran me about $720 sans the monitor, which I got as a gift. I've been extremely happy with it and it still plays/does everything I throw at it. I left myself the ability to upgrade in various ways if I wanted to (add an SSD, Mobo has 6Gb/s ability, USB3 is built in, could Xfire if I wanted, 650W is plenty of power, etc.) but I haven't felt the need to. Though granted I'm not overly confident of my ability to upgrade it without screwing something up.

When whatever is coming after Ivy Bridge comes out (Haswell?) I'll probably build a new one and give this one to my parents as a gift. They could definitely use a new computer. I've had some people tell me that I should take the nice GPU out and replace it with something else if they wouldn't use it, b/c it could screw up, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Otherwise... I need some more fans, or better fans, or some sort of dust-catcher. The dust that gets in my case is effing ridiculous.

Apart from that the only things I have currently are a Thinkpad T61p with a broken screen that I no longer use (though it has a C2D in it, so it's not that bad even now) and a Blackberry Playbook tablet. I had a MBP 13" for about 1.5 years, but I gave it back when I graduated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. Wildfeather

High Score:
    What is the difference between a regular PSU and a modular one? I tend to upgrade my pc very slowly, and while I've replaced almost everything but Tue RAM, graphics card, and PSU, I think I may be hitting the cap of my PSU so I was looking at getting a new one. I know the modular ones are more flexible, but also a lot more expensive. Right now I think I have like,600W in my pc, but the PSU is like.... Four years old? I'll repost my system specs once I get home to include the relevant hardware, but if I go for an upgrade in the near future ill probably have $200 to spend between the RAM and PSU.

A quick search of Newegg tells me that I can get 8 gigs of RAM on 2 4-gig sticks for about 60 bucks. The PSU I saw at the right price ($134) was a Kingswin Gold Series LZG 700. It's an upgrade of about 200 watts, and its modular, which is good, right?

The reason I want to upgrade is because my PC has been running really slowly lately. I've tried re-installing all the most up to date drivers, reformattting, getting rid of excess programs, etc. but for some reason my PC is not preforming as well as it did a month ago.

Edit: Fixed Watts, didn't realize it was 600w instead of like 480 or 530w.

Current Specs:
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 445 Processor
    4 gigs of RAM
    GeForce GTS 450
    ASUS M4A88T-M
    600W PSU by Thermaltake
    HD has a ton of space left, CBF to find the size/model.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Modular PSUs have removable power cables, so you only have the ones you need plugged in. It helps reduce clutter and makes it easier to improve airflow.

12. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

If you can find a x4 960t or a x6 1055t, for a reasonable price it would be a nice boost to your system.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ivy Bridge by Intel is out later this month too, if you are looking at upgrading more than just the CPU (RAM, Mobo, etc.). Your system isn't that drastically different from mine though performance-wise, and I'll be happy for a while yet.

Get a PSU if you feel you need one.

If you want an upgrade to make your system feel snappier though, might I suggest buying an SSD as a second hard drive and installing your OS on that? That should hold you over for a while.

Otherwise yeah, I heard the 1055t and 1100t are still decent processors, though I dont' know how your 445 compares to my 965 (which again, I am still happy with), but if it would fit in the same socket/mobo might be worth a look if the SSD doesn't help.

14. Wildfeather

High Score:
    I don't have an OS disk or the money to buy one for a SSD, and i'm not particularly sure what it does or why I would need one.

I know I need to upgrade the PSU first, because I think some of the rails are bad or malfunctioning. After that though, where would you prioritize an upgrade? I think my graphics card is the oldest piece in there after my PSU, everything else has been upgraded. I may be able to save a little more if necessary to upgrade at a better rate, but i'm very hesitant to spend too much money, because there's always some part or piece that is just $50 or so out of my current budget and would be a big upgrade.

Also, this is my first PC that i'm actively upgrading myself, so if the install is beginner unfriendly, that needs to factor into the equation.

15. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

your pc feels slow and unresponsive.

ssds make your pc feel fast and responsive.

it sounds like exactly what you need !

16. Wildfeather

High Score:
    My research indicates that a "good" SSD will have the software needed to transfer my files from my HDD to the SSD. Is this true, or will I have to look in the product details to see if they include a program which will do that? Given that I don't use much space, if I spent $120 on a new PSU (modular?) That was a raw wattage upgrade for me, and $80 on an SSD, and maybe pick up 8 gigs of RAM (2 sticks of 4 each) if I could find it, that seems to exhaust my budget and a little beyond.

What is a good name company for PSU? Evrerywhere I see people remarking about Silverstone having bad fans, are there any company with a really good reputation? Same thing for RAM but I haven't started looking at that yet.

17. KaiDASH

why do you need a new psu exactly?

Anyway, buy a seasonic psu if you're deadset on a new one.

64gb ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148447
    128gb ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

Other brand ssds aren't as overall good as the Crucial m4 line.

I recommend doing a fresh install of windows onto the ssd because when installing onto an ssd, windows 7 does a bunch of things that are beneficial for an ssd.

RAM just buy whateverDDR3 ram is cheapest from any of the following brands - G.skill, corsair, kingston.

18. Wildfeather

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure my old PSU is either going bad, or is already bad. I tried to use the core unlocker on my motherboard, and my tech friend told me there was a power issue, but there shouldn't be. And it's also the oldest piece that I haven't upgraded in a while, it makes weird noises (Squeaks and is loud) and I just have a general gut feeling that it should be done.

I've always listened to my gut.

19. KaiDASH

Not all tri-cores are able to be unlocked - they're sometimes disabled because the 4th core just isn't as good as the other 3.

But yeah, whatever makes you happy.

20. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I had a nice long post typed out, but I forgot to check "I am aware that this thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply." Now my post is gone.

To recap: I'm thinking of upgrading to 6th gen intel chips. What do you guys think of 6800,6700, 6850 and 6900 ? I think the 6850 hits a good price:power ratio.