1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Alright guys, it's building time, looking for some advice for a computer for my wife. I'll link all the parts and you guys see how I did for staying in the budget/ getting good deals. We still need to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse for her so we're trying to keep the budget pretty tight. She will mostly be browsing the internet or playing WoW with me.

Hard Drive (wife doesn't need an SSD, not sure a hybrid is worth it or not)
    GPU
    Processor
    MOBO
    RAM
    Case
    (wife's choice of course)

I used the recommendations from this article but downgraded the video card. Looking to order in the next few days or so in order to get it ready for Christmas.

2. Fardeki

Fardeki Headmaster DLP Supporter

Decent build but I would argue the value of the SSD. Upgrading mates and family members old computers, the first thing they all love is the boot time and how fast an SSD in everyday use is. Whenever someone asks to upgrade a old computer the cheapest and fastest option is usually just chuck in a SSD, I would never consider building a comp now without a SSD, even a budget one. If your wife needs massive amounts of storage for whatever she will be using the comp for than go SSD + HDD combo.

8gb of memory is more than enough for everyday use now and mostly everything you'll do, but considering going 16gb for that little bit of futureproof. If she games than I would definitely consider 16gb.

So yeah, definitely recommend the SSD and for the memory get 8gb now and you can always add more later if needed.