1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop Simulator

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Knil, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

Hey everyone! I'm a long time DLP lurker and I wanted to share my project with you guys.

We have a brand new indie game that we’d love for you to check out! It’s called Tabletop Simulator and it’s an online tabletop sandbox with multiplayer physics. It’s a game that offers you the freedom to play how you want without any set rules. If you love board games and are tired of the static and unrealistic web-based games, then this is for you.

[​IMG]

We currently have 15 classic games; from Chess to Chinese Checkers and Poker to Dominoes. You can even customize it to create your own games by importing an image onto the board and spawning what you need.

Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274930865/tabletop-simulator
    Steam Greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225493724

[​IMG]

We’d appreciate any support! Thanks for checking us out! If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Berserk Games
    http://berserk-games.com
    http://www.facebook.com/tabletopsimulator
    http://twitter.com/berserkgames

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Could it be used to play things like Settlers of Catan and Risk?

3. theronin

theronin Order Member

If I understand it right it's basically a simulated table, so you could make the board and pieces and play any game you want. Kind of a cool idea. I'll check it out.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    probably not officially/legally unless they make a licensing deal...

OP: make licensing deals

EDIT: not gonna be a dick.

5. Riley

Because his join date is September of 2010.....so he's been here since before you.

Edit: Too late Zircon.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

The stretch goal we unlocked at 5k will allow players to import custom content into our game. We of course cannot endorse copyright content, but we can't stop players ;)

Yep that's the idea, we give you guys all the tools you need to play any tabletop game.

7. Riley

Well then.

8. theronin

theronin Order Member

Hey Knil is there any way to import custom assets? It's an awesome idea, but it feels a bit limited unless you can create your own board/cards/tokens to put in.

Edit: answered above. Awesome.

9. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So this is like Game tables online except you have to pay for it and it doesn't really exist. Got it.

10. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

Does game tables online have - physics with zero rules? I see another crappy web based gaming platform. Also people backing the beta tiers get access to the game right now and it's completely playable.

11. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Good luck with the game Knil. Looks awesome!

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the UI is decent I could see it being a contender with VASSAL, since its a lot harder to play games on there. I'm interested though

13. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

Thank you!

One of the biggest thing I want to avoid is confusion. A lot of the more advanced tabletop platforms have super confusing setups and UI's. We want to keep it simple, but powerful.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good, because VASSAL's interface is very unintuitive. Do us all a favour and make sure the mousewheel is used for zooming, will you? :p

15. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

Haha beat you to it :p

---------- Post automerged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Also a little secret for one of my favorite forums. Anyone right now can download and try the game out in singleplayer, but you will need a beta key for multiplayer.

http://www.berserk-games.com/ts/downloads/

Let me know what you guys think.

16. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Question. If I build a Game of Thrones plug-in, will you give me a beta-key? Everybody wins :)

17. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I guess he will have legal problems if he does that. But, he can give you a beta key because you are a member of his favorite forum. Building a GoT mod/plugin will be your choice.

Knil, I wanted to ask about a few things. I assume you will allow users to install mods easily using steam workshop. Right? If not, please do that. Searching the forums and downloading stuff into game folders will be annoying for some people.

And I would love it if you can allow AI mods. For example, someone makes a chess AI mod, I can install it and play this single-player with the computer. Maybe $15,000 stretch goal? :D

18. Grubdubdub

Question. If I build a Game of Thrones plug-in, will you give me a beta-key? Everybody wins :)

Edit: after using the beta for a bit, I find that the program is very-much not suited for board games. Being able to move a piece (in chess, go, reversi...) to an illegal spot, as in in-between tiles, is annoying. The 3D is very nice, but the games needs to be closed - you can only place pieces in tiles, and even then only in legal tiles. Are the existing games simply not fully-programmed, or is that the direction of the software?

19. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

First off thanks for trying out the game. Sorry if this response seems aggressive but it was something I typed up for Reddit. It explains the design decisions of the project.

"First "no rules" is a selling point of the game, you can literally find thousands of rule based games versions on the web of any game. We are trying to recreate the social aspect and feel of when you play in real life. You don't play computer adaptations of your favorites tabletop games because of how they play on the computer, you play them because of how they play in person.

Going back to the fundamentals is design philosophy of the project. When you actual have to ask your friend how you can move your piece or make a mistake counting. That's part of the fun of playing on a non hard-locked system of rules. Yes also cheating, while it makes you a horrible person. It is an aspect lost when you are rigidly locked into a system. How about if you have a specific house rule on a game you play? Good luck finding the exact game with your house rule working.

All and all we can think and count for ourselves the game should assist us with the boring parts (setting up, cleaning up, dealing, etc) and not take away from the experience."

That being said I will most likely be adding an "assist" system where it help you place you pieces on the actual squares and not in-between. It will not tell you where you can move your piece though. This of course will be able to be turned off.

We'd love to get steam integration working, but we need to get on steam first :)
    Please share it with your friends we are almost half way to the top 100!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225493724

I'm not ruling AI out, but it's not going to be easy with how dynamic the game is thanks to the physics.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  20. Grubdubdub

Well, I do have a Pokemon Board Game all set and ready on my computer. I would love to be able to play it online, as well as allow others to play it. Wouldn't want to hog it all of it to myself... How do I import a board and pieces and cards for it?