1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop Simulator

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Knil, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm up for, but unless we all happen to be in the same timezone (unlikely), it's going to be hard for me to do something during the week.

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hell yeah. Count me in.

Aekiel - you too?

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Any of you guys interested in doing some Superfight?

6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm up for it.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

On a random note, I just had several friends rec this to me via Steam. I was surprised to see it turn up on DLP's feed, only to find that one of the creators (?) is a member.

*fist bump* Well done sir. I've heard good things.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd completely forgotten that this was made by a DLPer. Anyway, I have some feedback since I've been using it fairly frequently for a while now.

The biggest problem with TTS is that it slows way down once you get into any appreciable number of items on screen. As an extreme example I played a game of Axis and Allies with a friend and it had roughly 1800 items to load and simulate. It meant a lot of lag even on my desktop, which has pretty good processing power and RAM. I feel the coding could probably do with some optimisation in that regard.

Otherwise it's been very useful. I especially like the ability to have a browser in game that can be used precisely like a regular browser, though that was a bit slow too. Having a set of Netrunner rules at the table was very nice.

9. Ched

My internet connection is fairly slow, so when my friend loaded this gigantic deck building game earlier tonight it took a while for it to finish loading. That's fine.

But where are those files that it downloaded?

I've had a problem in the past with Steam installing shit to my C: drive (the SSD) even when all the 'settings' tell it to put things on my T: drive (storage) only. There's something specific with screenshots, like how it will save thumbnails on the C: drive even with the screenshot folder is on T: and it saves full size ones there, etc.

Anyway. I looked through my Tabletop Simulator folder (saved alongside all my other Steam games) and I didn't see where all that crap went tonight that I downloaded while AFK.

I want to make damn sure it's not cluttering up my SSD somewhere for a game I don't really want to play. Where is that stuff saved? Because again, I didn't see it in the folder I expected to see it in. But I might not know what I'm looking for, apart from not seeing anything with 6/18 as the date on it.

Edit: Think I found it, and despite all the Steam/Game settings I can find being told to put everything on T:, it's still on C: generating clutter in the Users>name>Documents>My Games Folder. I'm sure there's a reason so many games insist on saving things there, and probably a good reason, but it's still frustrating when it happens despite your best efforts to keep your 256gb SSD free of unintended clutter.

Fantastic sim though. Spent a few hours playing DC deck building games and had a blast. @Knil, you got something good here buddy. If you ever start a kickstarter or something be sure to give us a heads up, because after this I'd believe you could pull whatever it was off.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

So I've been using this for a while now as a way to run table top RPGs. It has been beyond excllent in giving me a good table to run Scion. Just load up a scion battle wheel and turn it into the board and voila. Thank you Knill great product.

11. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

Thanks guys glad to see you all having fun!

I'm always looking into different optimizations for the game and you will see more improvement in this. The real problem unfortunately is with these older APIs (dx9 and dx11) put heavy stress on the cpu with draw calls (1 minimum per object). So the number of objects even if not complex can cause some real slow downs. If you have a lot of duplicate objects that don't need to out all at the same time I'd suggest using infinite bags.

If you don't want to have the mod files on your C drive I have an option in the configuration menu that changes the location to be the same as the game install location.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  12. atlas_hugged

atlas_hugged Fourth Year

High Score:
    The Steam Summer Sale is supposed to be starting today (I believe within minutes of my post), and I've been looking at this. I would love to buy this for my RPG group and start running things through it, if it goes on sale. I would probably buy 4 copies if it hit 50% off. Hint. Hint. OP.

Are there a lot of resources available online for it? Or do you find yourself making your own?

13. Ched

From what I can tell there are tons of resources available in Steam Workshop for it. Even games I'd never heard of for deck building, like DC Deck Building or Star Realms, were ready to download for play.

Seems like it has an active and interested community.

14. Knil

Knil Squib DLP Supporter

We are indeed 50% off during the summer sale ;)

15. atlas_hugged

atlas_hugged Fourth Year

High Score:
    I noticed that. Thank you. I bought a 4-pack for my group. We're loving it so far.

16. Hamburger

Hamburger Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoa. Kind of overwhelmed that one of my favorite games was made by someone on these forums.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm super in. I've mostly just used it to play my favorite board games with WoW guildies (Secret Hitler, Coup, and Splendor, mostly), but I'm also very interested in trying more traditional tabletop RPGs or something like Fiasco. Oooh, or maybe some Zombicide?

My steam ID is crissarie if you've already got a thing going! :D