1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TDF RPG Our World, Possible Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I've been flicking through the Dresden Files RPG books over the past few days, paying more attention to the blacked out text (hooray for PDFs!) and the 'side notes'.

In the second book, Our World, which is a repository of playsheets for canon characters, on page 209, Harry says
    No... well, kind of... I guess when your half-brother is a White Court vampire and your mother is an honest-to-goodness faerie, things are bound to get complicated. My life is really messed up. Thanks for pointing that out so graphically Billy!"

Taken with Kincaid's statement (can't remember which book, but it is referenced on page 161 of Our World) that he (Kincaid) is as human as Dresden...

I'd wondered about Kincaid's statement for a while, and unless there's been errata (and I couldn't find any), does this mean what I think it does?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I assume you're missing the god from godmother? o_o

3. Thaumologist

High Score:
    I'd assumed that too, so I checked on the Butcher Boards , and found this thread, and no mention of an errata on those boards or anywhere else I could find. GODmother seems likely, but it was Kincaid's statement that made me think it could be more. On the other hand, it is Harry writing it. And the canon!verse time period it was written in (pre-GS, at the latest), we haven't seen anything that would say Maggi wasn't human.

So naturally, I came here. I would've thought someone else had picked up on this, or heard something about it.

4. Varios

Varios Third Year

Doesn't that make him a Changeling, I just reread Summer Knight and apparantly puberty would give him some indications about his Faerie nature, his mother also wouldn't be under White Council jurisdiction i'm sure.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree with the others on Harry being human.

Now, it could be possible that his mother was a changeling. There were plenty of mentions about her having ties to the Faeries, we don't know know who her mother was. Plus, Ebenezar did mention having to make some deals with the Faeries in his time, and we know they have an interest in getting Wizard-babies...

6. Thaumologist

High Score:
    And that's the thing - he is (as far as we know). But there's the Kincaid thing, which, admittedly, could just be a headgame.

So just a typo then, people reckon?

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's also possible Kincaid started as human and became something else, hence his comment is still true, from a certain point of view.

We simply don't know enough to make any reasonable conclusions. It's almost certain Dresden is human (for now anyway), but we don't know anything about his ancestry or what Kincaid actually meant.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A popular theory is that Harry is distantly descended from Odin, with the Blackstaff journals effectively being a family grimmoire.

9. Agayek

I always saw the Blackstaff Journals as a family-grimoire type thing, but with Myrddin Emrys as the progenitor, not Odin.

It fits, especially with the whole "Custodian of the Sword(s)" thing Dresden has/had going.

10. Aekiel

High Score:
    There's a chance that Merlin was a scion of Odin. No proof for that of course, but it's frequently bandied about.

11. Agayek

Huh, first I've ever heard of that. Is there a basis for that in real myth or just Dresden-verse speculation?

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    Speculation mostly, but if the Blackstaff journals are passed along hereditary lines then it's not a long leap to assume that the progenitor of the line is Odin, being that he trained the first person to keep those journals.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I thought I read somewhere that Kincaid's remark was in reference to Harry being a Wizard, as Wizard's are a different kind of human. So he was supposedly saying that he isn't a vanilla mortal (obviously) but then neither is Harry.

However I think I read that before we got info on Kincaid's Hellhound status and what that meant. And I can't remember where I read it so I don't know how reliable the source was.

But if Kincaid was the scion of a supernatural being and a human, and had to choose a side and picked human, then why isn't he... quite human? Or do some scions not have to "pick?" We saw Fae/Human children have to make a choice, but perhaps that's not the rule of thumb for all scions.

If it's not, then perhaps Harry does have some Fae blood in him through his mother's mother. But even if that was the case, his mother was still human (meaning she chose to be human, otherwise I'm sure the Council would have bloody noticed), so there's no reason for him to refer to her as a Fae.

I'm going to assume that the term in the RPG book should have been Godmother and go with that until I have more evidence, but good find.

14. Aekiel

High Score:
    Kincaid is the scion of Drakul, and was his right hand man for hundreds of years. He did not pick human.

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Actually, I don't think scions get to Choose the way changelings do.

16. Ched

That was the point I was trying to get at -- Scions probably don't pick in the same way that Changelings do. Kincaid didn't pick human yet he appears to be more human than not, even to Harry, at a glance. So it's not like he gives off a supernatural aura that would easily be picked up on.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Yeah they do.

18. Ched

Huh, alright then.

19. Mana

Mana Disappeared

Is this correct?

I thought it was Dracula who was the scion of Drakul. Dracula had went off to mess around with the Black Court as a form of "teen rebellion". I think Eb said that.

Kincaid served/worked for Drakul as an assassin.

DF wiki

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Ah, my mistake. Still, he worked for Drakul when Ebenezar still had hair and had been for a very long time.