1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thank God You're Here - Dresden Version!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Didn't know I wanted and needed this until now.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I were to do a time travel fic, it'd be Harry vs Time Traveller.

The majority of the fic would be Harry trying to deal with an enemy who already knows what he is going to do and has planned for it accordingly, with Harry getting out by the skin of his teeth each time. Upon reaching the end game Harry would then go back in time himself and foil the worst parts of the villain's plan so that his past self was able to survive the fights, culminating in a battle with the villain and the hero winning the day.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

From experience writing twisty intricate time-travel plots, I'd like to weigh in on the task of writing something like this: this is very very hard to pull off.

That kind of time travel malarky is going to give you a headache, fast: an awful lot like a very resplendent cake that defeats you on the first bite. First, you're trying to keep track of what was what when it happened and what the reader should know and what the character knows, all at once, from these three different perspectives. Weeding out plot holes is a matter of being insanely thorough, which is exhausting.

Not only does your cake have three layers of detail to stack, but you've also got three different fillings: in the case with this idea you're also going to be working off of three different perspectives - your time-traveller, Dresden, and time-traveller!Dresden.

So mash those very time-consuming jammy fillings in with the sponge layers of keeping track of the linear/personal timelines and you've created a monstrosity of a cake that will take ages to plan and might just fall apart when you try and make it anyway. You're not going to be able to bake this cake - not without significant stress, at least.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm hungry. Er, I mean if you do ever write this, learn from my mistakes. Keep it as simple as possible - make it short, make sure Harry only time travels once, make the villain do one main thing.

Other than that, from a readers' perspective it sounds really fun. I'd love to see this!

4. Diomedes42

Diomedes42 First Year

I've been brainstorming something with Murphy as a time traveller recently. Basic idea is that sometime after Changes (maybe after GS, not sure yet), Murphy is in a battle and dies.

Next thing she knows, she's waking up in her bed a few days before the events of Grave Peril. She knows, somehow, that this isn't just an illusion or someone screwing with her mind or something. Call it a side effect of the time travel. But this means she's got a chance to try and fix things. Stop Harry from starting the war. Stop susan from getting infected. Stop Marcone from becoming so powerful in the Supernatural community. (Because seriously, fuck Marcone.) Maybe even stop Molly from becoming a Warlock in the first place. I think it's more interesting with someone other than Harry as the time traveller. Because Harry has ways of influencing things that might make everything...too easy, I guess. But Murphy doesn't have the kind of pull that Harry does/will have.

I was thinking of her contacting Monoc, and bargaining with Vadderung for assistance, using her foreknowledge. Obviously things are gonna butterfly out, but knowing the details of a lot of what will/might happen isn't something I can see Odin passing up. Yes, I know Odin has some measure of foreknowledge in the myths, but it's still some damn useful information. So if she pulled off a bargain with him, I was thinking of having Gard assigned to SI. (As for how a Norsewoman gets into the CPD...he's Odin)

Of course, another complication for Murphy is that she has feelings for Harry, but he's currently with Susan. And in any case, this isn't her Harry, the one she's been through all kinds of shit with. The one who might be dead, and she might never see again.

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The change it would cause in her chemistry with Dresden would be interesting. There's probably have to be some manner of twist on it all, though, or it wouldn't be very interesting.

I would also be interested to see how Molly dealt with Felicia while Dresden was gone... And I mean that without any innuendo for once. xD

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. scififan

scififan Muggle

Harry Dresden/Sarissa please. No other specifications.

7. scififan

scififan Muggle

Nevermind. I don't want to read this anymore, because of Ephesians 5:3-12.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

What lmao

9. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

To save anyone a google, Ephesians 5:3-12.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I knew it was some bible shit, I just didn't know if he suddenly found religion in the last two months, or if he just realized that lust is a sin or something. And reading some nice smut or nice romances can instill some nice lust.