1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thank God You're Here - Dresden Version!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Apr 27, 2008.

1. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

All true.
    You'd have to bend the timeline. And Harry would probably do it in a way that avoids outright confrontation between himself and the dragon. Maybe prevent the man who was going to give her to the dragon from doing so?

She didn't have much training. With more, she might be closer. You can always bend things again. That's fanfiction for you.

I hadn't really thought it through to that point. Maybe only have Molly?

This was just a crazy idea that poped into my head and I thought I'd put it out there.

2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Nah, Jim has said she was pretty low powered.

3. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Fine... You'd have to bend Cannon. But it would be worth it: imagine Warden!Charity...

Or even just pro-7-laws!Charity.

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Council has tests, as well as simply the 'aura' contact between practitioners. A highly powered individual is self evident.

5. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Another idea to throw out there:

In Summer Knight, when Aurora invades Harry's mind, he feels hers and realises that she is enthralled/magically influenced (obviously by the Black Council)...

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I doubt Harry could tell shit if he looked into the mind of any old Fae much less a Queen of Summer. They are too different from humans and he doesnt really have much talent in that area. Molly possibly could tell it was tampered him since her talents lie more in that area.

7. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

At least according to the Mothers, Aurora was acting true to her nature. In other words, she wasn't enthralled.

8. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

We've had this conversation in the Awaken Sleeper (btw, does anyone know when it will update?) Review Thread.

Yes, the Mothers say that. Yes, it seems unlikely they were fooled.

But it also seems unlikely Aurora just happened to do this at this point.

The easiest way to reconcile this is to say that she is acting as she wants to, but has been manipulated to do it a specific time, with less planning than one would expect. eg. Why didn't she sacrifice Lloyd instead?

Actually, there's another idea: What if Lily was just bait to get Lloyd to the table, and she really sacrificed him to Summer, before Harry got to the table?

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or it could work with the way Molly would mindfuck someone. Aurora could have been acting in her nature, only more so due to outside interference. Like how Luccio had her feelings for Dresden enhanced through mind magic.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Aurora could have spent the last 1000 years waiting on the perfect chance. Its not like she could had many willing accomplices or opportunities. She thought this out, and had to know that if Titania or Mab caught them they were dead.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    You can still reason things out under the influence of mindrape, and if it was just a more refined version of Molly's spell that they used on her, she wouldn't even realise it. She'd just feel more inclined to act on her beliefs rather than just keep them in the back of her head until she became Queen Who Is.

12. Random Shinobi

Peabody could mindfuck Luccio only because she was young again due the bodyswap. We don't know how old Aurora is, but she's almost certainly at least a few centuries old. If she ever got seriously mind altered, she would go totally crazy. In that case, she would not act true to her nature.

The Black Council might have been behind her stupid scheme, but she was almost certainly not magically compelled.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    True, forgot about that. I'm still not going to count out the possibility though. Fae are different to humans, more rigid in their ways and less susceptible to change. If that's the case, the mind arts may work differently on a Fae than a human, since you're going in with a pretty good idea of what you could expect, and since Fae are incapable of telling a straight lie, you can have a good general view of what their core beliefs are. Humans are trickier, what with being able to lie about anything and everything, and they grow mentally as they age. Fae don't have that, so theoretically it could be possible that mind magic may be just as effective at age 10 as age 1000 for them.

14. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Anyone got a challenge for me? I'm in the mood to break my block with a short.

No smut please.

15. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Hmm... Nuhuh, you want a challenge? Okay, here's something.

Challenge: 1000-1800 words

Line: "You know those times when you really shouldn't be operating any heavy machinery, even if magic offers a bit of a shortcut? Yeah, it was one of those times."

Good luck!

16. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Challenge: Whatever, nobody really takes these into account anyways.

Line: "I knew it was a mistake even as I said it, but sometimes my mouth runs on automatic when I'm in a dangerous situation and I couldn't stop myself from saying, 'Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me.'

Miss Gard, the six foot tall athletic Valkyrie of Olden Days currently straddling me, was less than amused."

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    A new challenge I thought of while extremely bored at work.

For anyone. No word limit, take as long as you want.

Line: As the dragon's jaws snapped the head straight off the Skinwalker I had only a moment to think, 'my, grandma, what big teeth you have' before my mind cracked cleanly in two. Maybe trying to push Shagnasty through to the Nevernever was a bad idea after all.

EDIT: Changed the challenge because the previous one was retarded and written after eight hours of effectively turning my brain off. The idea I'd had was for Harry to open up a portal to the Nevernever at the doorway of the circular tower on Demonreach in order to feed Shagnasty to whatever was on the other side. In this case, the den of a Dragon (I'd thought Ferrovax since he's a signatory of the Accords and must be a local power to want to turn up to Bianca's party), where it would deal with the Skinwalker (in very Sue-on-Ghoul fashion) and Harry would strike up a bargain with it to save his life and the lives of those on Demonreach.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dude you are so fucking dead. :/ I thought someone had posted something, and instead I find ... Dicks... Lots of them. Bags of them. And you are sucking them all at once, Aekiel..

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

Target: Anyone.
    Idea: As a 16 year old White Court vampire gifted with supernatural seductive power, you would think he could have any woman he wanted. Instead, he was the White Court's only virgin. Why did his every attempt to score some food end in disaster?

20. Random Shinobi

Um... Taure? You are, of course, aware that a Raith cannot be a virgin if he has awakened his power? And if he hasn't awakened his power yet, then he's basically just an ordinary teenager.