1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Alloy of Law *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Exile, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That it is, which is likely why Brandon gave Pulsers a larger range than Sliders. He is planning this to be a space opera, after all.

2. Aekiel

High Score:
    So I found a transcript of an interview Brandon did at the release of Alloy of Law and it raises a lot of interesting points.

For one, did you know that the Lord Ruler gave up at one point and tried to end the Final Empire?

Link

It contains spoilers for his other works though, so if you haven't read the Way of Kings or his other works be wary.

---------- Post automerged 07-04-2013 at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-04-2013 at 11:59 PM ----------

Also, could a mod rename this to Cosmere Discussion or Brandon Sanderson Discussion? This is more than just an AoL thread.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, have read the alloy of Law and have to say, was underwhelmed by it. Definitely his weakest book that I have read so far. Not bad or anything, it was fun to read and I was never bored but it didn't exactly hook me like his other books did.

It just seemed to be so cliché with its characters. Wax was a bore to me, being the stereotypical lawman character and Marasi was a generic kinda shy but intelligent/semi useful female that fawned over Wax the older hero. Again, not bad character, but not exactly memorable and in fact, had to look up Marasi's name in OP post because I had forgotten it, despite the fact that I read this book today. Think I actually found the girl Wax is betrothed to more interesting, in that her character was rather original (or at least, less used than Marasi) and I think more fun.

Wayne, on the other hand, was awesome. Really liked his character and his inner thoughts on accents, hats and people in general. Action was engaging as well and I think this, more than any other Sanderson book, would be cool to see as a life action movie. The magic system is, as always, brilliant. Allomancy and Feruchemy are probably my favorites of all time, especially the use with guns was awesome, making yourself lighter and then using the gun as a quasi jet-pack was simply genius.

So overall, enjoyable book but nothing I will reread anytime soon, I think. I hope the next book of this type would focus on Wayne, rather than Wax, even if Wax has the more exciting to read power-set.

That said, what I did appreciate most about this book were the callbacks to the original series or when two characters reappeared.

I also got a kick out of the lethal gun "Vindicator".

So, overall, 3/5.

It did annoy me though that Vin doesn't seem to be all that famous though. I mean, sure, people know her as the Ascended Warrior, but Kelsier is still more famous, even though she did way more stuff than him and was pretty much the one who made everything possible. She did kill two gods, would have thought that that had survived.

Also, question, when people talk about the descendants of the Mistborn lord, of whom those kidnapped women are descended from, they do mean Spook, right?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Ash
  4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

To answer your last question, yes, I believe so. At least, that was my read of it when they referred to 'Lord Mistborn.'

5. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'd say yes. Spook became the Lord Mistborn after Sazed/Harmony made him one at the end of The Hero of Ages. Presumably there are still a few bloodlines out there that could result in Mistborn, but those have already had a thousand years worth of diluting to add to the difficulty, and Elend/Vin never had children. So Spook effectively got a dose of Lerasium when he became Mistborn, making him the most powerful living character at that stage.

EDIT: Vin is included in the Survivorist religion. She's the heir of the Survivor, after all. She probably also plays a part in the Path as well, given that she's directly acknowledged as having held the power of Preservation. So really, I think she does play a big role, but Kelsier and Harmony are Big G Gods in this, whereas she's a slightly more mortal hero to the people.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just felt like Alloy of Law was... more "Action/Adventure Fantasy" whereas the original Mistborn Trilogy was more along the lines of "Epic Fantasy." I felt that was intended, as well, but that's just an impression.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Yep. Just a little novella to bridge the gap between a fantasy set in a serfdom, and a steampunk one. Then the space one after that, but all of those are a long way off. Can't wait tbh

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Preview chapters for book 2 (Shadows of Self), anyone?

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Liked it so far, just not too enthusiased about the totally unpredictable romance that is absolutely not going to happen between Marasi and Wax because they are just friends and collegues and Wax is going to marry Marasi's sister.

Oddly enough, liked Marasi more than I remembered, same with Wax although Wayne still beats them by miles. His way of perceiving the world and adapting to other people is fascinating.

10. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Just finished Shadow of self. More or less the same as the first. Great characters, great world building and a so so plot. The final twist didn't hit as hard as the last one but still looking forward to this universe's continuation.