1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Avengers Movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jeram, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Eh, I probably should have thought of that.

I'm not even going to bother saying something about the likelihood of an ear piece being destroyed in the intense fight because that's just inviting someone to say something about 'realism in a movie with flying invisible aircraft carriers' or whatever.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...if the ear survives, I see no reason why the ear piece would not. It's not exactly unrealistic for an earpiece to be rugged.

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'm not going to say I'm even slightly experienced in how much force an earpiece can survive. All I was saying was that I thought with the degree to which Cap was thrown around (and when he was grabbed by the head from behind and his mask was pulled off especially) I figured any small electronics would break or fall out.

I don't really have a problem with the explanation that he was wearing an earpiece, honestly.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Why Japan whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy won't you let me give Marvel all my money? ;-;

5. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Travel to Canadia.

6. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Or basically anywhere but Japan.

7. Portus

Portus Heir

I know I'm wrong but it looks at first glance like Hulk has about 50 teeth in this picture. Then again, I *am* from Tennessee, so can be forgiven if a normal number of teeth strikes me as odd...

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ I count about 23 or so teeth.

That said, I just saw the movie last night- really enjoyed it. Everyone in the theater burst into laughter when the Hulk grabbed Loki and beat him like a redheaded step child! Probably my favorite scene overall, too.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

As a red-headed stepchild, :(

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

First of all, Scarlett Johansson is the perfect woman.

On topic. Movie was boss. I liked when Hulk smashed puny god. But I always like the Hulk.

I wish the new Spider-Man could be an Avenger, but I guess that's not in the cards. I would watch a Dr. Strange movie. Iron Fist might be good if done well, but I don't really care for him. Wouldn't surprise me to see Red Hulk show up.

11. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

Frankly I don't want there to be more characters in the next movie. I'm sure Joss had a hard enough time balancing the ones he had; adding new ones, giving them legitimacy and fair screen time will just detract from the ones already established. If anything I could do without Cpt. America and Hawk-eye.

12. BadVoodoo

BadVoodoo Sixth Year

I read somewhere that they're thinking of turning Coleson into Vision as a way to retain the character and introduce another Avenger.

On the topic of other Marvel characters, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hero's for Hire or The Defenders

13. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Hm, personally Black Widow can go. She has no special skills at all, her being replaced would be fine.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I doubt they're going to toss out the only female on the team, unless they plan to bring in Ms. Marvel or someone else to replace her.

15. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I really don't want to see the next movie cluttered with a bunch of heroes that I won't be able to bring myself to care about. That's what's always been my problem with team comics. That and when third rate heroes like Hawkeye get some experience and start thinking they're the shit.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

But Hawkeye was... like the coolest one, imo. Stark was funnier, granted, but Hawkeye was the only one other than Stark I'd have been interested in seeing in another movie. That guy playing Hulk did alright, maybe better than whoever was in the crappy Hulk movie a few years ago, but meh.

17. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

... Dude was trying too hard for most of the film. Black Widow at least had some solid character moments and intelligent thinking to make up for her lack of abilities against a rampaging alien army. Hawkeye was basically filler with a bow and arrow on both sides of the fight, and could have had his time just given to Coulson or Hill or Fury without a problem. And I can't believe you just called the Hulk meh.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well, aside from the stance that bringing rape into a superhero movie would be a bit of a "downer" (deaths of "Ma and Pa" characters who were only mentioned in the first place so they could motivate the hero don't count as downers), I think people are more apt to be pissed off about a female hero being raped, because of the overwhelming number of females in the comics that are raped, de-powered, or end up dead in their boyfriend's refrigerator, while the writers shrug and say, "Who, me, misogynistic? I've never even heard that word before. Why don't I write about a male hero being raped or de-powered? Who'd want to read about that? Er, I mean, they're dudes... you know what I mean?"

They get enough of that shit off the big screen, I don't think they want to pay theater prices to get a moving, speaking, and in all likelihood 3D version of the same thing... so little Suzie can come hoping to see a cool heroine, and end up seeing the team's token cheesecake female raped. Oh, but don't cry, all the chest pounding male heroes will avenge her, I'm sure.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo had a different target audience, and there are numerous other considerations too, I'm sure.

Think a little. :facepalm

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I remember reading a thread divert on comic book resources dc forum about this a couple of days back. Basically someone bitched about the original refrigrator scene getting mentioned in Blue Beetle #9, and bunch of others pointed out that while generally women got the shorter end of the stick (being love interests, parents, siblings to the would-be superhero), there have been several if not more notable moments where women are inspired by the death of men in their lives.

Lois Lane - her father dies in Our Worlds at War. I'm sure you could also add in the death of Jeb whatever right before she ended the engagement with Clark.
    Supergirl - when Superman died at the hands of Doomsday. Also when Draaga died in Panic in the Sky I believe
    Zatanna - father was missing, was thought dead
    Stephanie Brown/Spoiler - father is a crook inspiring her to stop his crimes
    Mongal - both her and her brother went for power after Mongul died.
    Wonder Woman - Steve Trevor's died at least a couple of times in DC continuity on her behalf.
    Wonder Girl - Her boyfriend Conner Kent/Kon-El/Superboy died in the Young Justice comic book series,
    Rachel Alves - Death of husband, friends, family
    Susan Storm (with rest of FF) - Johnny Storm's death
    Donna Troy - death of son and ex-husband
    Aresia - deaths of father and uncle
    Aurora (Jeanne-Marie Beaubier) - death of her brother
    Vera Black - death of her brother Manchester Black, a Superman villain
    Ultimate Black Cat - death of father
    Queen Mera - death of her baby boy at the hands of Black Manta

It's not like it's intentional sexism, they can't get away with that in this day an age. It's just a combination of there being more male superheroes typically in addition to comic book writers being all too willing to use cheap drama by killing loved ones in order to advance plot or explain why their heroes fight.

20. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While killing off a love interests and family members for drama has evolved to become a pretty universal comics trope, historically it has happened to females a lot more often than males.

Personally though, I'd say if you want to complain about the handling of women in modern comics, fanservice is a far bigger problem. You could probably count the number of female comics characters who don't dress like strippers on your fingers.