1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Best DS Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looked for a similar thread and couldn't find one.

Am playing more with my DS these days, and just wanted to know what games were your favorites and which DS games one should have played.

Obviously, the Pokemon games, but we have a subforum dedicated to those, so, other games.

I've had lots of fun with the Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney games that I've played. Haven't finished/played every game but am slowly working myself through that franchise.

Chrono Trigger is also fun to play, as is Advance Wars.

2. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Radiant Historia is a timetravel rpg with multiple endings. Very entertaining and enjoyable story.

The World Ends with You was also good.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Bravely Default best title on 3DS without contest.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I slightly prefer Fire Emblem: Awakening, personally. But both are very good games.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Very much enjoyed 999, though your mileage may very. I have no idea about the sequel.

6. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

The Etrian Odyssey series is a good dungeon diving RPG series. If we include remake of things, there is the Megaman Zero collection for the DS along with the Dragon Quest 4-6 remakes and Dragon Quest 9 if you like older style RPGs.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    KH: Dream Drop Distance is fun as shit.

PLAY IT NAO.

8. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I really liked Dragon Quest IX. I don't know regular DS wise I don't hesitate to call it my favorite title.

9. melior

melior Seventh Year

Final Fantasy IV DS is my nostalgia, but I can't seem to get into other traditional JRPGs anymore.

For SRPGs, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem definitely, Disgaea if you haven't played the originals, and the Luminous Arc games aren't bad if you can find them. Some people like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the original.

If you've got at least two friends or family to play with, I liked Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time purely for the multiplayer aspect. It does require multiple carts, though, and probably isn't worth it for single player.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Honestly I didn't like it that much. Maybe because the only game in the series that I'd played recently was VIII and IX pales in comparison. Not really fair I realize, being PS2 vs DS, but there it is nonetheless.

11. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

I'll second all the recs so far.

You can also try Megaman Star Force, the successor to Megaman Battle Network for the GBA. I don't think they were great, but they were definitely fun especially if you liked MMBN.

12. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Of course, we have to rec Super Smash Brothers too :p The game is amazing

13. nairit

nairit Second Year

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 for your SMT shenanigans. Also Strange Journey is a throwback to the exploring and mapping rpgs but with SMT shenanigans. I'd rec all three.

14. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Hotel Dusk and its sequel were probably my favourite DS games, along with Ghost Trick. The Hotel Dusk games are point-and-click adventures that make very good use of the touch-screen, have a gorgeous artstyle and some pretty great writing. Ghost Trick is a fantastic, very unique feeling puzzle game with probably the best writing on the DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usqdCphyM2o

This is a spoiler-free review for Ghost Trick by probably the best reviewer on Youtube, it explains how brilliant it is far better than I could.

15. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

For any Harvest Moon fans, the Rune Factory Series on the DS is pretty awesome. Blends classic Harvest Moon style gameplay with RPG as well by leveling up, fighting monsters, etc.

16. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's admittedly shit, but I quite liked Digimon World DS. It's like a cheap Pokemon clone with bad writing and weird monsters.