1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Final Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 26, 2008.

?

What was the best Final Fantasy game?

1. Pre-VI

9.1%
  2. VI

10.0%
  3. VII

35.5%
  4. VIII

13.6%
  5. IX

15.5%
  6. X

12.7%
  7. X-2 (Fail)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. XII

3.6%
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In your opinion, what was the best Final Fantasy?

Mine has to be VII. Good game play, massive amounts of side quests (breeding a Gold Chocobo was the best side quest in any game ever), good music, an awesome bad guy, and a good story. It was also my first FF, so it has that special place in memory.

After VII it's a tie between IX and X. X had the better gameplay and graphics, and voice acting which I liked, but IX had the far superior story and world.

After that it's XII. Good gameplay and graphics, but the story was a massive let down, in that there wasn't a story.

VIII comes last for me. Interesting ideas, but poorly executed. The first disc was okay, but beyond that it was rather fail. Hardly any side quests, and gameplay (particularly the battles) were incredibly dull.

Oh yeah, and I played VI too, but I didn't finish it 'cause I lost interest in it, so I won't count that.

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The final one.

3. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Badum-bum-cha!

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

By far VII. Seven has by far the best story, characters, and for the time it came out some of the best graphics. I mean who can say no to the final battle sequence between Cloud and Seph?

I agree with Taure that in second is a tie between 9 and 10. While neither can compare to 7 both are good in their own right. 9 with the stronger story and better world. While 10 has the better story and game play. AND 10 has the by far the best Bahamut and other summons.

12 is by far some of the best game play in the series. The lack of a story killed this one. Final Fantasy has always been good for the storys and characters then game play. However this one is opposite game play first and then the rest of the list with sotry and characters last. My greatest complaint is what the fuck with making Shiva and Bahamut into airships?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I liked 6 best. It was the first with a "proper" story so's to speak. I'd have liked 7 better if it hadn't started the bish-y villain cliche.

EDIT: 9 was awesome too, but I didn't like 8 and 12.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. Neffiedrake

Neffiedrake First Year

I would have to pick between VII and VIII.

I loved both of them, but I actually liked the atmosphere in VIII better.

7. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

My personal favorite is IX. It just had this spirit of adventure to it that only VI even comes close to. It's way too underrated by fans(which is okay by me, seeing the shit they've done to FFVII). The story and characters were great too, and managed to be likable and intriguing without being as emo as FFVIII.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'm definitely in the minority, but VIII is my favourite. I can see why people like it the least - as it does have a complex storyline, at least the first time you play it - and has many issues, but the overall feel and story was incredible, for me. Some great music to back it up too.

The only thing that really bugged me about VIII was not being able to skip GFs. The drawing from enemies did get a little tiresome, however, that wasn't as annoying as it could've been.

After that, I'd take VI then VII then <5. I have yet to finish IX and X so I can't vote on those. XI and XII are the same.

VII never clicked with me as well as it did with others.

9. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

WHAT?

Sorry, had to do it.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, I didn't mean that it was good voice acting, but that the introduction of voices over just text was good.

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Final Fantasy Tactics.

12. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Tie between IV and VI for me. VII was and remains incredibly overrated, although it's still a great game. If FFT was a choice, I'd probably pick that - shitty translation aside, it was a masterpiece.

13. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

I loved the terrible translations in FFT, and was disappointed by some of the changes they made to the PSP version. It will always be called a Calculator in my mind.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

That is by far the most annoying scene in the history of Final Fantasy.

15. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    VII. XII is good as well. I liked X too.

16. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

I have to go with IX as I really enjoyed the storyline and the main character was just awesome.

I also really liked IV so I'm happy they are remaking it for the DS (apparently with bonus story that didn't make it into the original) and VI was also really good.

I didn't enjoy VII all that much, but that might just be it's fanbase killing the game for me after I played through the game.

X was good, the voice acting sucked, but it was nice to finally have voices.

XII was also a really good game. I actually enjoyed the storyline a bit, but it was the gameplay that really made me like this game.

17. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    IX was great and FFT were probably my two favorites; they both had great storylines and very solid gameplay. My only objection to FFT is the lack of the traditional in-party character development, but the main plot was more than good enough to make up for it. I'm still annoyed that I loaned FF IX to one of my friends and never got it back.

VII and X were both really good, but I never enjoyed them as much as I did FFIX and FFT. I guess the storyline just didn't click as well with me. X-2 was kind of annoying, but not as bad as it could have been.

FF VIII and XII are at opposite ends of spectrum: VIII has a great story and crappy gameplay, while XII has great gameplay and a crappy story.

I've played most of the older final fantasies, and I quite enjoyed all of them. All of them had pretty solid gameplay and storylines, though VI gets extra points for having pretty good graphics for its time and shifting the Final Fantasy series from more normal fantasy to the Magi-tech setting.

18. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    XII is the only one I own right now, and as far as gameplay, it's top-notch. As far as story, yeah, it's pretty shitty.

If I ever get a PS3, I'm waiting for FF Versus XIII. That looks pretty sweet and it has this fantasy/steampunk motif I can get into.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I have to go with VII. It was the first one I played. Bought the game on a whim actually. Great characters, music, world, memories, etc.

If it was announced that they were going to remake VII would you guys be upset about that? Or welcome it?

After that I like IX. No one else I knew liked it, but I did. I just liked the world it took place in. Plus....Quina. Yes, the most unimportant character in history was pwn!!

The one that I didn't like was XII. The game play/battle system was fun, I loved it. But the story was a let down. Your main character is Vaan. Most of the story he is in the background while the others like Balthier, Ashe and Basch lead the story. I want the story of the game I'm playing to revolve around the main character that you are controlling throughout the game. Not only that, but Vaan didn't even get the girl at the end (I'm not talking about Penelo, hated that bitch)

The main character of XII should have been Ashe seeing as how the story most centered on her quest to restore her country.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always liked IX for the fantasy feel, rather than the sci-fi-esque VII/VIII, plus the characters were much more likeable to me than in the previous games (I haven't played anything before VII so I really can't comment on before that though). It was much more light hearted too, which was a welcome change, and it was very satisfying to kick that prissy boy Kuja's ass over and over again.

Second would have to be X, despite the cringeworthy laughing/screaming scenes. It's always fun to get to the finish where you end up chatting up Lulu :p. X-2 doesn't even deserve a mention. I loved the Aeons too.

VII is next, cause frankly, the storyline rocks and the materia system is probably the best one they've thought of so far.

VIII after that, but it didn't really mesh with me well. Maybe it was because I found the graphics particularly ugly or because I didn't like the draw system that much. I just can't narrow it down to one single thing that makes me not like it.

XII sucks. I'm probably going to get shit for this but what is the point in making a game where all you have to do yourself is set up gambits and walk around. Oh, and make sure you don't run out of potions occasionally >_>. It's less like a game and more like an interactive movie.