1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Brave New World by bellerophon30 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Dec 14, 2005.

1. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Ah It just came to me like a bolt from the blue.
    A major part of school stories would be the boy meets girl and both have to figure out that they like each other, yadda, yadda.
    So if belle wants to re write this into a high school romance epic.......
    Please don't ban stick me

Oh yeah, update, meeting with dumbles

2. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, slow paced chapter that perks up right at the end. With Cliffie!

3. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

updated again. A filler chapter to some extent, no action but the plot moves along.
    They are back to school now.
    All in all a nice chapter, but i must admit the slow pace is getting to me. I hope he moves the story along at a faster pace in year 7, if he needs the same amount of chapters before it comes to a climax i'll stop reading.

4. dba2

dba2 Guest

I couldn't finish this chapter because the author's bad dialog mechanics were pissing me off so much. He puts his paragraph breaks when a new character speaks, rather than when the focus of the narrative shifts to a new character.

Char A speaks. Char B reacts. <pbreak>
    Char B speaks. Char C reacts. <pbreak>
    Char C speaks. Char A reacts.

and on and on and on. It ruins the flow of the dialog scenes. It makes it hard to keep track of who's speaking so you have to look back at the previous paragraph to see who reacted last. It's just plain annoying.

5. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

THIS IS THE CHAPTER, we have been waiting for, Drama, Action and A twist.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Great! Now if someone could just reaccount the last 10 chapters or so I've missed due to completely losing interest in plowing through the filler any further, it'd be even better! :)

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I just outright skip over everything that happens at Harry's school in America. I'm only interested in the goings on pertaining to the war in Britain.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

/me is doing the same.

The chapters are long enough for that. But the scene at Hogwarts was a bit too perfect. Throwing AK's should cause some deaths. Since the battle in the Ministry the author seems to be afraid of finishing off "good" characters. Even the US-werewolf-affair was a relatively clean thing.

The ending of the chapter was ok.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  9. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I tried to get back to this latest chapter (like IP, I had stopped reading a while back), but closed the window when I saw Voldemort described as "the bad man" twice in the same paragraph. I half-expected someone to accuse him of having WMDs next... Plus the whole Dumbledore thing is starting to annoy me. Ok, so D. is manipulative and whatnot. But it seems now that he can't even breathe without Harry being annoyed and promising he'll kill him. Please...Argh! I'm late for work :eek:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, big bad Harry was one of my biggest peeves with this fic; It seemed everyone were bowing backwards to the little whelp. Some kid sucker-punches him during Quidditch, and everyone are suddenly quaking in their shoes, with teachers begging him not to kill the boy in retaliation etc... Then there are Harry's constant ego trips, with him bragging left and right how they better not leave him in the same room with Dumbledore and shit like that.

I mean, who the hell does this kid thing he is? Al Capone? And the worst thing is, everyone's going along with it and no one sees anything strange that he's allowed to threaten people left and right, prank with permission, have a back door into the school, his own private elf, jinxes on his dorm and throw temper tantrums whenever he pleases, without repercussions.

11. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

new chap out, its not to shabby if i say so myself.

yeah I can't stand reading Harry at the American school, but all the war-related parts are great in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  12. Dark Minion

And the next one - about 2/3 of it are quite boring, but again the war related stuff is ok - but at the moment Harry has nothing to do with it. That part mainly focusses on Rufus Scrimgeour and Voldemort. An interesting bit is a dialogue between Scrimgeour and Tony Blair, and the outcome: How to gain information about an unplottable location.

There is the usual American-School-stuff and the Harry/Sophie scenes (H trying to buy a restaurant ...), which I don't really read anymore. And this chapter there is this Ginny-thingy. Ginny is only a very minor character, but nevertheless annoying. Dean cheats on her, and, one might be tempted to say of course, she is probably going to be paired up with an American.

Lately I think his style is going downhill. He always had the annoying habit to try to inform the reader about every last bit, just not to leave any question. Now more and more often he directly addresses the reader i. e. to insert boring jokes about the secksual ongoing between H&S

13. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

It is hard to say if this is average or above average chapter. A good bit of
    action, but in some ways this chapter shows the importance of good editing. Some parts should have been cut, while others could have been expanded. Belle chose not to write dramatic actions scenes where he could have.

Ah well, there is always next chapter.

14. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

And the next chapter is up. The best thing about this chapter is that it covered about two months of time.

15. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

He just updated again. I've got to say, the "bad man" thing IS getting a bit annoying. Also, some of the 'newscaster' style commentary is probably unnecessary. That having been said it's a pretty amusing rip on Dumbledore, and his Rufus Scrimgeour is quite the pragmatist. :) I'd probably give it 3/5 at this point.

16. Dark Minion

That's the main point which annoys me nowadays. Over the years and two long fics he has developed his own style but the quality dropped. The text isn't as fluent as before.

But there are also some other elements. His interpretation of the whole OBHWF meanwhile melted together with his American school gang is too perfect, and scenes like the following are just ridiculus.

17. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I thought this was one of the better non-action chapters. But it was filled with all these mini-drama's so that could have helped. I bleeped over the last few paragraphs, so this review is flawed.

18. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

It got updated again. The commentary seems a bit flat this time around, and I think it's a question of "show, don't tell", and he's doing a bit too much telling. :p

Also, some of the dialog doesn't sound right when the British people are talking as it's hard to imagine a British accent around the words, and a final note - Dobby and Winky speak way too intelligently even if you allow for some inevitable vagaries in the way people write house-elf grammar.

Still a 3/5 IMO.

19. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Flat is a good word so is dull, but this chapter perked up at the end with a cliffie.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Tried to read this yesterday and could only get to Chapter 5 or so.

The romance really bugs me, to the point where it's unignorable - 2/5