1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Casebook of Harry Potter By: chris400ad

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Donimo, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Title: The Casebook of Harry Potter
    Author: chris400ad
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Friendship
    Library Category:
    Pairings: Gen
    Summary: Daphne Greengrass wouldn't realise that a chance encounter at the age of eleven could have led her to have a life of adventure. Fourteen years later she meets Harry Potter again, this time over a dead body, but will she walk away or stay? He's a consulting detective and she's a healer, worlds apart from some, but for others, it could be just the beginning. AU.
    FanFiction.Net

A platonic Harry and Daphne fic. It's AU story that takes place several years post Hogwarts. Harry is a Sherlock-esque detective and Daphne is his Watson. It's pretty good so far. The writing quality is very readable, and while non of the mysteries presented so far have been great they've been secondary to establishing the characters and setting. The story is just now building into something I think will be interesting. The fic is only 27k words long, but the author finished his last HP fic so I have hope this story will be as well.

I give it a 3/5 for now, if the quality of the mysteries goes up I'll have no problem giving it a 4.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

It's not a Harry Potter fanfic.

That's not to say that it isn't mildly enjoyable, but essentially the fic contains characters that are unrecognizable to Harry Potter fans. Harry isn't actually Harry, he's magical!Sherlock, and Daphne has always been a blank-slate character that can fit any role if characterized well. The murders, the Aurors, even Daphne's associates/acquaintances (Tracey, boyfriend, etc.) do not play any role in HP canon.

It's pretty much a mystery story with magic. It's decently enjoyable, perhaps a little more so in the early stages than Days to Come.

3/5 is fair if we're talking about the quality of the fic, but it doesn't belong in the Harry Potter library.

3. James

James Unspeakable

I agree completely with the above. The bastardization of Sirius was especially jarring for me, because he

evidently disliked Harry, because he wasn't like his parents? There is a bit, where Sirius mentions that Harry thought Sirius let him down, but the whole scene with Sirius just adds to the jarring feeling of OOCness.

Especially sad is that with just a little bit of work on characterisation would turn the OOCness off quite a bit, and would still be as enjoyable. 3/5.

4. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I couldn't read far past the vast OOC-ness of most of the characters. It's definitely a Harry Potter fic, but I don't particularly enjoy the mysteries either. It's all a little underwhelming, and it doesn't really catch my interest.

I thoroughly disliked Sirius, and he gave off this weird vibe that I just couldn't get past while reading. Not to mention I simply don't read Harry Potter fics for mystery, which is my own personal taste, of course.

I would rate it a 2/5, if only because I found it entirely uninteresting. Writing quality itself might've bumped it up a little bit, but I can't see it in the library.

5. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

It's surely readable but not really engaging at the same time. I don't care about any character in it.

6. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    There is nothing at all that hooks the reader. As Miner said before, this story isn't about Harry Potter characters. The characters have been butchered; all they are is twisted caricatures. It's good, I'll give it that. But that's the only real plus for this story. The characters just don't feel like they belong to the Harry Potter universe. To be honest, you could replace all the characters with virtually any character from other franchises and you'd pretty much get the same result.

3/5. It's just painfully average because of the above.