1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The chance of a life time and beyond by reighost - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The chance of a life time and beyond
    Author: reighost
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery/Humor
    Pairings: None for now
    Summary:Harry goes back in time. Not as a teacher, not as an exchange student but as just your everyday Muggleborn student eagerly starting the first year of seven years of education needed to become a fullyfledged wizard…the only thing is it's going to be 1971
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2725011/1/

Link: http://reighost.livejournal.com/tag/harry potter timetravel
    (Seven chapters up, starting at the bottom)

This is another one of those stories where experienced 20 years old Harry travels back in time of Maraurders. Original twists are that he's de-aged so to look 11 years old, he's sorted to Slytherin and he befriends Snape and Blaise (1971 version of one).

I liked this story more than the others for it's lighter tone (no angsting at sight of his parents, nor the bashing) and better than usual plot - Harry's trip actually has some purpose, unlike other similar plots. He's not just another pussy on a vacation, careful not to change the past, 'cuz dat baaaad'...

Downside is general conception of stories like this - there is simply no logical explanation why would someone do a thing like this. Why not simply go and kill Voldemort instead of playing with kids?

Ah well, it's a fair read anyway...

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012
    The author took down his story and reposted it on his lifejournal, see SoS posts: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=601353&postcount=16

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. daterza

daterza First Year

I think it`s quiet interesting. Although I`m not a big fan of the time travel to the 70`s fics. I found this one easier to read a better than some of the stories in this sort of catergory.

So far so good.

Waiting for more

3. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I find it pretty well written. Not the best work out there but better than most. Nice pick IP, I agree with most of your comments on these kind of Fics as well. I am a fan of some timetravel fics, 1970's are normally done wrong in my oppinion.

4. razz

razz Seventh Year

I always thought some sort of mesh with the 'Back To The Future' trilogy would be fun. You know the first one, where his mum falls in love with him and he takes his fathers place? I couldn't get into this fic, but ...

5. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I was hesitant to read this but if you think it and ok story IP i'll take ya word for it. Read the first few chapters and well it's moderately ok, i thought that there is a lot of room to improve but then again it might just be because the time travel fics i've expirenced are not the easiest plot to think and write up.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a note from the author posted recently - they are taking a break to fix the story up - good news, as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, the story also inspired to write this reply about pairings in the past:

"I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with any support of a realistic Harry/Bellatrix ship (wouldn't even have to be permanent), but to wait until the characters are old enough not to know better, if you catch my drift. I will also support the following interesting and/or ridiculous ships (keeping in mind that Arthur and Molly are several years older than the first-years, and Narcissa&Lucius are at least a bit older, etc):
    Snape/Molly, Umbridge/one of Aberforth's goats, Arthur/Narcissa, Lucius/A Pickled Beet, Hagrid/some sort of odd dragon-giant hybrid, Fudge/Moaning Myrtle, Remus/Alice (Longbottom), Sirius/Trelawney, James/Cho's parents/Lily
    And of course, if Harry/Bellatrix doesn't work, a good old fashioned Harry/Narcissa/Patil twins' mother/Cho's mother/Susan's mother/Angelina's mother love hexagon would be fun - if also completely ridiculous."

7. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Eh...I kinda of find it hard to believe he'll update anytime soon, so that fix up might be a good long while. He's a good writer and all and I love his stories. Problem is he keeps making new ones and he has alot of things to update.

8. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Would she still be insane? 'Cause that's kinda kinky...

9. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

While I am sure that the story is at least OK so could I not go past the first chapter after I read redeemed!Snape and redeemed!Draco not to mention that he spells george as gorge

10. Prophet of the Waves

Prophet of the Waves First Year

I have found that I like this story its easier to read and understand then most others in its class 3/5 stars if I were to rate it

11. Styx

Styx Third Year

I think the answer to that is in the summary.
    Hes not capable of killing Voldemort yet.

12. Spokojnyj

Spokojnyj Squib

That's no reason. He's as capable as his future self. The only reason to be miniaturisized and go to Hogwarts, while he could be destroying horcruxes etc. full time, would be to have fun he didn't have in his own youth and other such thingies. Not that I don't like those stories.

13. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I'm sure Ill get shit for Necro-Posting, But I gotta say that the most recent update Explains alot of that. He's there to change things, Plain and simple. I'm still not sure what the 'Grand Design' is (Obviously) But I thought it made quite a bit of sense to go back like that. Not only is he making it exponentially more difficult for Tom to ever return to his body, but he's taking care of the horcrux's (Horcruxi?) and Possibly even changing the 'Mud-Blood' Hating in slythern house.

Love the interaction with the Maruaders to, though I keep wondering whats so special about pettigrew...

14. Lord Nankai

Lord Nankai Squib

hmmm..70's I wonder if he'll get acid wash jeans? ^_^ just kidding. but good overall.

15. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

3/5 from me. Solid writing, flawed premise, distinctive lack of updates.

16. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Deleted everything from ff.net, but the author says they're getting an account at AO3 and the story is supposedly up on their livejournal.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanx. I updated the first post