1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Codex Alera

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by LogrusMage, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

:awesome

We have another recruit! Once you get to book 4, Samuel, you'll start liking it more than Dresden.

2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Totally agree. I actually think I'm anticipating Princeps' Fury more than Turn Coat, something that I'd have never imagined doing before I finished Codex Alera. Jim Butcher's such an awesome writer. <3333

3. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is definitely better than Dresden, especially since the plot throughout the books is continuous rather than episodic. Overall, the series is just more polished and engaging for the reader too.

The complexity of the politics between the races, as well as within the races, is probably my favorite aspect of Alera.

4. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

"My ass hurts," said Antillar Maximus, Tribune Auxiliarus of the First Aleran.

"My ass hurts, sir," Tavi corrected him.

Readin' the fourth book and I'm lovin' it!

5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I haven't read Dresden yet, but man, I don't know how you guys managed to last this long waiting for Princeps' Fury. I've only just read the first 4 books last month and I'm already suffering from withdrawal.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read all the books this last week, already pre-ordered Princeps Fury. Nov 25th here we come!

I'm also thinking about writing a one-shot Alera fan fic based around "What if Septimus had lived?"

Also, there's a hell of a lot of information Butcher has given out about the series that isn't in the books.

The Vord are Aliens and came to Carna in a space ship. Go back to FoC and read the Wax Forest description, and you'll see that it reads a lot like an impact crater. The "tree" at the centre of the forest is the spaceship.

Carna is not an alternate Earth in which something changed during the time of the Roman empire. Rather, it is a different planet/dimension that a lost Roman legion found themselves transported to accidentally. That legion was the beginning of Alera. They wiped out 2 other races completely, one of which is the "Children of the Sun". The Marat also began on another world and found themselves transported to Alera. It may be that all of the races are the same, though the numbers of the Canim may indicate that they are native to the world.

The Vord are ALIENS. WE ARE THE BORG. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Furies are pokemon.

7. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

You know, this got me thinking. Why aren't there any fanfics of The Codex Alera. FFN doesn't even have a category for the series. It's not as if the books are unpopular or something.

Only reason I can think of for now is that the books themselves are so awesome there is simply no need for fanfiction.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

o_O No shit, Taure? I have to say, I liked it better without explanations #2 and #4. I do believe I will continue to ignore them and hope that he doesn't incorporate them into the actual books, especially the last ... I mean really,
    Pokémon?
    Do not want.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

They're not fucking Pokemon you faggot. -__- And no I'm not going to even dignify that with a spoiler tag.

The whole "Alerans and Marat are from different planets" thing seems a bit... hokey to me. Although Butcher has'nt led us wrong so far so we'll have to wait and see. :/

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It creates massive fanfic potential though. You could take any character from anything and dump them into the Alera world and you wouldn't even have to call it a crossover lol.

11. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

I read an interview with Butcher in which he stated that the basic idea for Codex Alera came from a challenge he threw down at the writing web group he talks with. He told them to give him the worst story idea possible and he would write a book using it. Someone then came to him with the idea to cross the "Lost Roman Legion" idea with Pokemon, thus giving birth to Codex Alera. How's that for creative bad-assery?

12. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Actually, it seems to me that Codex Alera was inspired by Asheron's Call (the MMO), for they share many similarities.

If the thing about different worlds is true, that fits in exactly like the origin story of AC. The Vord have a startling resemblance to the Olthoi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherons_Call

In PY0, a young Yalaini mage named Asheron Realaidain was experimenting with portal magic when he accidentally opened portals to an alien world. This planet was the homeworld of many monstrous insectlike species. One of the smaller species, the Olthoi, proceeded to invade Auberean via the portals, and legions of black, man-sized death machines spewed across the surface of the planet, skewering all other inhabitants on their massive pincers, their magic-resistant hides rendering them largely immune to the Empyreans' defenses. Their invasion went almost unchecked and the Olthoi all but annihilated the Empyrean civilization.

In a desperate attempt to save the survivors of his people, Asheron called forth all of his power and summoned many portals, none of their destinations known to him, hoping that one would lead his people to safety. He ushered the last of his race through one of the portals, remaining behind himself to attempt to repair the damage he had caused.

These portals opened to many different worlds, bringing various creatures into Auberean. Most of these creatures were as wild animals, some violent and destructive. One of the portals Asheron opened led to the planet Ispar, the homeworld of the human-like Isparians. The Isparians were sensitive to portal magic and were lured into the portals that appeared there. Upon arrival on Ireth Lassel, they were instantly enslaved by the Olthoi, who were constructing a hive civilization under the planet. As more and more Isparians arrived, some managed to escape slavery and live as nomads, hiding in the wilderness and defending themselves from the Olthoi with weapons of their own fashioning.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the other hand, you could say that every insect like creature in modern literature is similar. There are only so many ways you can go with evil space insects.

14. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

True that. I do like what Novamute said though, that the premise of Codex Alera was formed from a challenge....of combining a lost Roman legion with Pokemon. That's just awesome.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Oh for fuck's sake. I just read everything of Princeps' Fury that was on Butcher's side. So I'm really into the story and feeling all like 'fuck yeah, here comes the main plot' and then wham! --

He paused, to let the echoes of his voice roll through the darkening evening. "Alerans," he murmured. "We are at war."

Princeps' Fury will be available in bookstores ...

TEH RAGE!!!

I swear, they put that sentence there intentionally :mad: *sulks* We are at war, what? That's so not fair. I want it, now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Nah, they would never put a cliffy in a teaser chapter .... ;)

But yeah, the 26th can't come fast enough.

17. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Hey I just read all 4 books last week, great books I think. Went to the library to get some Dresden Files and sitting there was all 4 Codex Alera. A great series which I hope is continued. I can't believe how much the main character has change from book to book. His development was well done and expansive, going in a different direction then what you might think. Also the spoilers (plot twists) in book 4 were interesting, caught me somewhat by surprise. Anyways a great series I would recommend to all.

Minor Spoiler from First book

I was scared at the start, props to Butcher for not making a Tavi/Amara pairing. It looked to be going in that direction for a while.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  18. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Damn, I have looked all over this fucking city for Captain's Fury, and not a single place has it. None of the bookstores, Hastings, or the Library. Gonna have to get it off the internet, I guess.

19. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Book 5 actually got released early by accident in some stories. If you head on over to the Jim butcher forums, you'll see the mad scramble for those early copies.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

So I just read all the books in 2 days. They're still fucking amazing.

And you know what? Book 1 was amazing all throughout. I don't know why I never liked the first half of the book, it was interesting enough for me. Man, Butcher is just a God when it comes to writing.