1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Creation of a Wand

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by The Sinner, May 16, 2006.

1. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    "Which core feels good? That one... hmmm... interesting. Now which wood? Incredible it was that wood, yes. Now, a little flick of my wand and some fairy dust and I have just made you a wand for less then 10 galleons in under 5 minutes! The skill!"

Am I wrong, is isn't that how most authors go about creating new wands in their stories? This overused process seems so mundane and simply and well... pathetic. Think about it, a witch or wizards most important tool and it takes less then five minutes to make one, doesn't that seem a little odd? Is it just me, or shouldn't the process be longer and a little more complicated then 1) Choosing the core 2) Choosing the wood 3) Putting them all together with a flick of the wrist?

Most fics that I have read always go about this process, even the ones where the wand is in some crazy design of a dragon with a golden hilt. Five minutes to make a wand for Harry that "surges with power and makes him feel more alive then has ever felt before". I can only recall one fic where the wand making process took longer then a few days, and that fic is Earl of the North for Harry and Bella's wands for not a wand maker, but a wand crafter. It seems there has to be a new level of wand maker for the wands to ever take more then a few days. How about this: in Sunset over Britain Harry and Hermione had staves made, and low ane behold they took less then an hour to make. Come now! How unrealistic is that! Even magic has its limits!

I have always imagined the wandmaking process to a little longer and more... well... magical!

For the custom wand:

1) A wand core, singular or multiple, must be chosen by the recipient of the wand that best reacts to the recipients magical signature as well as best exploits the recipients full magical potential. Hence, you could have a core that best reacts to your signature but does not bring out ones full potential, thus making it harder to come by a perfect(s) core. There could literally be dozens of different cores that meet one or both of these requirements, theoritcally, but only one that is perfect for the recipient.

2) The wood of the wand. Typically there is only one type of wood used for a wand, but I have read a few fics where multiple types of wood have been used. Now like the wand core, the wood type must meet the same requirements, but one additional one as well. It must be able to withstand the power that is passed through it without exploding, catching fire, etc. Once more like the core, there could be dozens that meet the requirements, but only one that is perfect for the recipient. The strength of the wood is entirely user preferance and nothing magical.

3) The length of the wand. Now this varies mostly on user preferance. If you can recall, Umbitches wand was rather short and one had to wonder if it could even be called a wand. However, if a wand is too short or too longer it will hinder spellcasting to varying degree in the negative.

4) Assembly. This phase in the wandmaking process can either be the most difficult or the simplest, but not as simple as the flick of a wrist. The wood must be sized and carved, then hollowed from the bottom of the wand so as the core can be inserted into the wand. Precious care must be taken to not overcarve the wand or to hollow out the wand to deep. Also, the hollowed out wood must be preserved to recap at least three inches of the wand from the hollow point so that it is sealed. The wand however is not complete once it is sealed with its core. It must be enchanted so as the core and the wood flow together as one cohesive unit, as well as place into an wand embalming fluid to further fuse the wand and core as one, the embalming fluid seeping into the wood of the wand and into the hollow where it fossilizes around the wand core an into the wood of the wand. This process can take anywhere from three days to a week with some rare instances where the fossilization of the embalming fluid took over a month due to the either the power of the wand itself or the poor potionmaking skills of the wandmaker who brewed the wand embalming fluid.

There, thats how I think a wand should be realistically made. Wandmaking is a fine craft, not a hobby done of the go like so many authors craft it out to be. Does anyone else out there agree with me?

2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Good points! I've also found that the majority of the "custom wands" out there have Three Simple Steps to Making the Most Important Object that a Magical Being Can Possibly Own in Under 20 Seconds!:

1) Have the buyer hold their hand over a selection of wood samples. Pick the one that feels best.

2) Have the buyer hold their hand over a selection of magical items, nevermind that some of them are insanely retarded. Pick the one that feels best.

"Ah yes! A most wondrous substance, capable of awesome power!"

"What is it Mr. Ollivander, sir?"

"Why, my young boy...it is Dementor semen!"

3) Fuse both ingredients together with a spell found in a dusty, old tome, and hand to buyer for the equivalent of about $51.31!

3. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Perhaps you would also have different types of enchantments and potions depending on the combination you used. If being a master wand maker didn't require all sorts of knowledge, then anybody could do it. If this was the case, then some woods may not be able to work in harmony with some cores because the enchantments would counteract the potion or visa versa.

4. The Sinner

I see wandmaking as more of a science, something that is learned and refined over years and years of study, practice, and experimentation. Ollivander is good because its in his blood and comes with years of being a wandmaker.

Voldemort's wand never made sense to me. Yew with a phoenix feather core. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't yew suppose to represent something evil, or something dead? I remember reading that somewhere before. So why would something evil be paired with a phoenix feather?

It could be because they compliment each other in the ying and yang sense, but still, one power should override the other and vice versa which would logically create a wand that was unstable.

DS Edit: And wouldn't a wand, custom made or not, go for oh lets say... upwards in the hundreds of galleons? After all, its very important. I can see your first wnad being cheap, but not 10 galleons cheap.

Don't double post please, use the edit button, that's why it is there.

-DS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  5. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Actually, like the phoenix, Yew is a symbol of reincarnation/immortality/never ending cycle type thing. So they core and wood would actually complement each other fairly well. The combination could by symbolic of Voldemort's rebirth.

Harry's wand is made of Holly. This wood is representative of repelling evil/protection. It also has a strange link to lightning through some Scandinavian mythology... but I don't know if JKR dug that deep.

Edit: If you want to look up any more to find the symbolism behind them, here is the amazingly huge index.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  6. The Sinner

I can see how Holly with a Phoenix feather core would also compliment each other.

7. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

lol yes ive seen a story go as far as dumping basalisk blood into the hollowed wand seal it and presto it done!

I was jus thinking. Tne OP had some good ideas there, but why not take it a bit further. Technically by searching wands at ollivanders your jsut looking for the premade version of the perfect wood/core for you. Or in most cases somehting that matches good enough.

If im getting somehting custom i want it seriously made just for me. Somehting with my very essence to make it work that much better for ME. I alays though it would be cool to have "You own" magic be used as part of the creation process, assuming of course you use the method that everyone has a core specific to them. We know somehow the core must bind to the wood magically. Maybe you could have the binding be held together by the intended owners personal magic.

I dunno maybe you could spew some BS that by casting magic through an item held by your own magic flows better. Like your own magic already in the wand is a better magical conductor for YOU than if a foreign magic was doing so like premades.

Just any way to make it more efficient. Becuase in my opinion i dont think you should have custom wands doing a huge power increase t spells, but rather make the spells cast easier and more efficiently so you dont waste magic in a fight and exhaust yourself.

BTW i also think unless Harry has some super untapped resource for wand making, other deatheaters and such that can afford custom wands should have them too. If you remeber seeing Voldemorts wand in GOF it didnt look like no regular shit to me. Perhaps not only can wands be made custom bu maybe you can "modify them".

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    well, rememeber that when Harry goes to olivanders for the first time, he says he remember when Harry's parents came in for their "first wands". That always sounded fishy to me, does it mean that their wands broke later, does it mean that once you grtaduate you get a new wand, more adapted to you, and why if its the second one, does voldie still use his firsst wand.

9. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    This is JKR you are talking about Mordecai, she writes with plotholes so big you could fit an eighteen wheeler inside as easily as a hot knife cuts though butter.

I agree with Sinner's process, as it seems much more realistic than the other methods that have been used. Though, the first mention of the unrealistic method was in LT2000's Dakaath for Harry's new wand.

10. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think We have had that discussion before, and I am not sure if Voldemort's current wand is his first one, that is just something that has been assumed, but we don't know that for sure.

11. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I've also noticed this, as well as the idea of hand-me-down wands. Wands are supposed to be the single most important object that a witch or wizard can own; why the hell would they hand one that is suited best to their magic down to their younger sibling? The only solution to this that I can think of at the moment is that JKR's retarded...and that at some point after 6th year, witches and wizards go back to a wandmaker's to get a new wand because their magic has changed.

12. The Sinner

And who is to say that one's magic does not change. Figure it this way: Say one becomes an Animagus. Their magic has become more refined and mature, not like that of a pre-hogwarts student. The wand at 11 would have been suited to an extent to the user, but as the years progress the wand losses focus and must be replaced for optimum effiency.

13. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

What your all missing here is the idea that a wand is just a way to make using magic easier, so then wouldn't a wand really be an amplifier(sp?) and just boost ones abillity to focus magic thus making it seem like your more powerful but you just have more acces to your magic at one time.

But then as alwasy lazyness strikes! And wizards stop relleing on their own ability and more on thier wand. Soon as the children watch and see that their parents only use magic with a wand it gets into their heads that you need one to use magic and they inturn pass this beleif to their kids, making them think that when magic unfocused by a wand acurs its the work of acidental magic not themselves doing it and they lose the ability. Thats why accidental magic stops at the age of 11 and only rarly makes itself known.

14. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Well making a wand as some authors have done has always annoyed me. I know it can't be that simple. Otherwise why would you need a wandmaker?

When I imagine the wand creation process, I think of an complex ritual. Runes need to be carved into the word (which could take a while since you can't use magic for fear of ruining the wood) and the core going to some processing in potions (which could take months to prepare) so that they can work together. Then a ritual needs to be be preformed to join them together. In other words its a Craft that needs to be perfected over years of training and not something you can learn from a book (something that some authors had Harry do).

Finding the core and wood could be difficult too but maybe all they need is to hold out thier hands....

15. The Sinner

You are theorizing that all witches and wizards are capable of using wandless magic to the same degree that magic weilded through the wand is used. I see what you are saying and I agree. But, wouldn't focus of magic be learned through first a wand? After all, if you can't control magic through an extension of the body, then how could one hope to control magic through their body? It would tear them apart if it became to much for the body to withhold, hence why there are wands.

Wands prevent magic from overwhelming the body in a negative and potentially lethal manner and allow the witch or wizard to nurture a magical focus. Its lazy, yes, to use a wand, but it could also be potentially life saving. Afterall, even Dumbledore has been known to use wandless magic to a degree, yet he still uses his wand. He may very well be one to understand and appreciate the dangers of magic without the wand. Even Voldemort may share in this same appreciation.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I dont like the whole custom wand thing... why cant he just take one thats already been made? I understand many authors want Harry to be special, me included somewhat, but only because he doesnt have a custom super-wand doesnt mean he isnt powerful.

I havnt really thought much about this subject because I just have Harry get an already created wand, no fuss. Most authors go overboard with what goes in their wands and it ruins the story for me 80% of the time. A few that use the custom wand idea with already known materials, or 'likely' materials, are fine. Dementors blood is not a likely material where a feather from another magical bird could be.

17. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

The way i see it, Ollivander's al "wand chooses the wizard", so i'm not too sure about the whole 'put your hand over and see what feels good'. I say there should be a big ritual with all the cores or wood surrounding the buyer of the wand and wait for one of the substances to glow or shake or something like that, it shouldn't be the other way round were teh buyers hand glows instead.

I think it would be kinda cool for the wand substances to be sentient. Makes some sense as well if you think about a few random cases throughout the canon.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think there should be alchemical rituals and the like in making wands. I a fic that had it rely on alchemy once but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.
    Maybe have runes drawn on the floor in special substances to bring the wand together. Never mind what things are in it.
    OH! One more thing I am adamant about - NO USING HARRY'S BLOOD!!!! A wand is a focus and if you can't focus your magic through your blood in your body, what chance will a wand have?
    Anything exotic will have to match your magical signature/magic perfectly (for a custom wand - premade one is like a generic version) or at least be the best fit.
    Anyone who thinks the whole "put your hand over it and hope it feels right" thing could work is an idiot.

As for getting a new wand out of Hogwarts I wouldn't think so or Voldie would have replaced his many years ago. Though you never know, maybe he got lucky and got a perfect wand at Ollivanders.
    The Weasleys will probably be an exception in the keeping your own wand - Ron needed one and Charlie was already earning money by then, £70/80 isn't too much for the most important thing in a magical person's life.

19. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

In my opinion a there is no sense in a custom wand. When you use your wands over a long duration you change the wand. It gets used to your magic which allowes it to flow more freely than it did in the beginning. That way a wand doesnt gets more powerful but you simply get more control. And when you watch the canon battles there is no overpowering your enemy. In my opinion it comes down to skill and knowledge. Skill which simply is your duelling skill (your footwork,reacton time,....) and knowledge of curses (spezific counter curses and hexes,...). Of course the wand you use has to be suited for you but Olivander got that covered.

20. CGB

CGB Auror

Yeah I agree with ghst.san. There isn't really sense of a custom wand, although I like the idea. I think it would take a month or more to build a custom wand. You first have to find all possible core and wood samples. That's easy, you just have to look which ones react to Harry the best. Not with "whichever feels right". Then you have to solve several equations to find the best combination. This may take a while. Then you have to carve the wood, prepare the core and enchant the whole thing together. This will take a while too. So I think to make a wand - custom or not - you'll have at least a basic knowledge in alchemy. Also you have to know how to solve the equations, carve the wood and enchant the wand. I think Ollivander just go to step two and put the cores and wood randomly together and then let the wand choose. It's a faster and easier process and thus cheaper. The unanswered question is what's about Voldemorts wand? Because of this I think custom wands doesn't make sense.