1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Wizard and the Curse of Immortality by JuMiku - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Andro, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: The Dark Wizard and the Curse of Immortality
    Author: JuMiku
    Rating: M
    Genre: Crossover
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Voldemort is dead, but Harry still suffers. He has to watch everything around him die. When he is sent to Middle Earth to change this, will things change for the better or the worse? LotRHP xover The rating is probably too high.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2639653/1/The_Dark_Wizard_and_the_Curse_of_Immortality

Ladies and gentlemen, at dire risk to my own person, I have found a Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings crossover with vampire!Harry without slash. I actually like this better than The Black Wizard by Azraeos with the exclusion of Hermione, Ron, and the rest of the baggage. The author can definitely write action, there are no sickeningly sentimental moments lady authors whose works I enjoy otherwise are wont to write.

Very interesting concepts, especially the armor-puppets from the last chapter.

5/5.

2. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Eh... I liked it a lot, at the beginning, but the whole Vampire/Uruk Hai thing bothered me for a reason. That's the only part that really bothered me, at first... I can't really get into the later chapters though, so... 3/5

3. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

pretty interesting. The writing is good but not quite fluid. little hang ups in the writing are a bit of a bother, and i have a problem with the idea that after 145 years, the only friend harry would have would be hermione. He doesnt exist in a vacuum simply because he doesn't die. other than that its pretty interesting. 3.5/5

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

It almost sounds too good to be true.

Will review after I read.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There seems to be way too many commas here than there should be, but from what I've read so far it seems good.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

=/

Other then that, it's pretty good. I'll edit with an actual grade in a moment.

7. The Dark Monarch

I got to the part with

SPOILER BELOW

The Uruk-ai vampires and where boromir gets turned into a vampire.

SPOILER END

It totally sucked after that.

Harry is supposed to be the only vampire in existence.

There can be no uber warrior vamp guys.

And the Hammertime!Harry was completely stupid.

But it kept me entertained for two hors so it rates as a solid 3/5.

8. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I liked it.

Until the note and I don’t know how you missed said note in the 3rd chapter.

I know the sequel might never come considering how much time this is already taking and don’t think the author considers the story a high priority either.

The announcement killed my interest. Try talking to the author about excluding romance. That'll be great.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  9. Andro

She reviewed my own Lotr crossover, so I'm willing to bet she remembers me, so I'll give it a try.

As for missing that... damning statement, reading author's notes aren't my style?

10. The Dark Monarch

Same here.

11. Andro

I wrote a multi-paragraph review asking for her to keep it pairing-free altogether.

Yeah, I'm sorry. The story itself gave no indication of turning slash. I wouldn't have posted it here unless I had insurance that the author wouldn't go slash.

Reading that note, I got the impression that the author was going to delay the slash.

Maybe she'll wait until Sauron and every orc is dead in her story before starting the slash, at which point all of us will be satisfied with getting a good story while also dodging the slash-bullet?

What's life without a little bit of risk, especially in a low-stakes institution such as fanfiction?

12. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I got a reply and the sweet author said:

13. Andro

QFT.

Gotta love the wit.

There's a substantial difference between an elven immortal, and an immortal that just happens to be a walking corpse.

14. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Oh my god, getting ambushed by slash in an otherwise well-written story is depressing. Reading some R-fics until I decide whether or not it's worth risking my mental health by reading further.

15. Andro

It has been pretty much confirmed to not be slash.

16. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    It certainly isn't bad, but it's not that great, either. The beginning was nice, but the addition of vampire!orcs practically killed it for me.
    The last scene in the latest chapter was pretty funny though :)

17. AnnF

AnnF First Year

Slow progress, awkward phrasing at times, and even after 150+ years Harry still acts like a muggle raised naive schoolboy.... Plus those hideous AN that erroneously promise more updates for more feedback - never a good sign.

18. Assassinator_of_Dumbledor

Assassinator_of_Dumbledor Raptured to Hell

Very good, It rates better then most of the fan fiction that I see around here but it is still not the best that I have seen, I would like to congratulate you on the writing style and would like to say good job keep it up.

4/5

19. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I agree. That part just killed it. Hell, Harry doesn't even know how to fight and the only thing thats on his side is brute strength and then this comes along. Gets beaten easily not to mention the normal humans and elves and dwarves don't stand a chance in hell. I couldn't get past that chapter.

But overall, i give it 4/5

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I don't like this story. Harry being a vampire is a waste, as he doesn't for a second act like he's 200 years old. The story doesn't have any flow to it, and I found myself skimming over most of the chapters...

2/5