1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Dawn of Angels by keiranhalcyon2010 - Stargate & Mass Effect - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Dawn of Angels
    Author: keiranhalcyon2010
    Fandoms: Stargate SG1 (post-Atlantis S5, pre-Universe) and Mass Effect
    Rating: M
    Summary: Humanity finds itself in a wondrous and dangerous new Universe. They have been given the chance for a fresh start and begin the difficult journey to shoulder the Legacy of both the Asgard and the Alterans.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5903124/1/The_Dawn_of_Angels

Decent crossover by one of my favourite authors. I don't know Mass Effect, so I don't know if he's overpowered humanity, but it'll probably be interesting either way. As in many of his stories, he utopia-ises humanity. And has an annoying tendency to cling to religion in the process (not that it effects the plot at all). But it's still pretty interesting.

The second person is only the first chapter.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Very good story. Following it since the beginnig, but I personally am not that big of a fan of transhumanism. 4/5

3. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I find this fic to be extremly good so far, but I find it to short to rate at the moment. I will wait with rating it until it gets longer

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck yes he's overpowered humanity.

Mass Effect FTL goes at about 12 LY per day, and overheats too quickly to be used for more than (relatively) short range travel. Interstellar travel is dependent on the Mass Relays. If you introduce hyperspace travel that fast (and I believe that's faster than even Star Wars FTL speeds... which is already mind bogglingly fast), the Mass Relays become obsolete. And when the Mass Relays are obsolete, the Reapers can't obliterate organic life nearly as well.

Granted, that kind of levels the playing field against the Reapers, but also removes that sense of Otherworldy Eldritch Abomination awe that they're supposed to instill.

The longest living organic species in Mass Effect, I think, are the krogan, whose lifespans haven't been laid out for us exactly, but are definitely over 1,000 years. Barring sudden death by shotgun or exploding bug thing. The asari follow very closely behind. And that's with their advanced medical science. Humans in ME live for roughly 150 on average. 5,000 is... utterly ridiculous. Granted, no one's going to have lived for more than a couple centuries maximum by the time the Mass Effect part begins (if it begins when it does in canon), but just the potential of it is a major turn-off.

Part of what makes Mass Effect particularly interesting compared to other sci-fi series' is their treatment of AI. AI are considered unilaterally dangerous, and often with good reason. The geth, most prominently, but there's numerous examples of other rogue AI that start wiping out any organics nearby in the games. Plus there's the Reapers. EDI and Legion are probably the only "good" AI in the entire galaxy, and they're... special. Removing that stigma feels very wrong. And even if it turns out to be a very bad idea and they revolt, the Quarians went through the exact same thing. It certainly wouldn't be very original.

Other issues are the transporter technology that will completely destroy every other race out there, (probably) including the Reapers. There's not really any defense against a strike team, or even a nuke (or nukes, or antimatter bombs, or worse), being beamed onto your ship that can end a fight before it even begins in the Mass Effect universe. Not to mention that issues like hunger are completely eradicated with this, as they were in Star Trek.

Humanity in Mass Effect is already considered a force to be reckoned with, despite it's young age, with how fast they're able to adapt and spread through the galaxy. Throw in technology that's likely thousands of years ahead of anyone else in the galaxy (and outside of it), and you lose part of what makes Mass Effect as good as it is.

Mass Effect is hard science fiction. Everything in it can be reasonably explained as an evolution of currently existing technology and "blank spots" in our knowledge of the universe. Issues like hunger, war, clashing ideologies and such aren't solved with magic. They persist, adding realism to the universe. The addition of the things I've pointed out cheapens it.

Beyond that... the first chapter just seems unnecessary. What's the point of showing us the opening of the first episode of Stargate Universe, when the Destiny and any of the characters from it aren't going to factor in at all? And the second-person perspective has always bothered me. I guess it can be used well sometimes (I think it's one of Jbern's fics that uses it?), but I've never been able to deal with it for long. Seems pointless when it's not used consistently, too.

Overall... probably a 1 or a 2 at most, as it stands. I'll be willing to revise that if things change, but I'm not optimistic and I'm not going to wait around for long.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair to the author, there's probably no way to do a Stargate/ME crossover without overpowering humanity. Stargate tech is just that much more powerful than ME tech. I guess he might invent a new enemy, or upgrade the other species.