1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dovahkiin Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Seratin, Dec 7, 2011.

1. azrael

azrael Professor

Of course, because one will be perfectly in step with all of the other guards with arrow induced limps.

2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

By stealing from Codex Alera. Tamriel is another 'cosmic drop-off point' for various species and beings from across the Universe.

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Love it. Only issue I can see is how the Elder Scrolls gods and lore will fit into the story.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, the gods could be similar to the pagan gods of the Dresdenverse, while the creation could be the result of interplay of some sort between two beings like the Mothers (Anu and Padomay). It would actually fit quite well, given the restrictions many of the gods seem to be operating under. Meanwhile the Daedric Princes are another sect entirely, who occupy regions in the surrounding Nevernever, sort of like the Fae, except there are more than two Courts.

5. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

>DF/Elder Scrolls crossover
    >Tries to fit the TES mythos into the DF mythos in the most boring way possible
    >People slobber on your dick like it's a good idea

Right on, then.

(No, seriously, that is the most unimaginative mechanism to have a crossover I've seen in quite a while. It's pure "I WANT TO HAVE A CROSSOVER TO HAVE A CROSSOVER" wankery at its worst.)

6. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I don't understand why that's such a problem. It's not rare for crossovers to occur with stories that have nothing to do with each other. Having Tamriel as a drop-off point would only be a background plot device, before allowing the story to begin. Also, while you call this idea boring, I call it believable. This is only fanfiction after all, and having the background is better than having the main characters mysteriously teleport to another world.

Of course, what happens afterwards is what makes or breaks a story, but that would be determined by the author's ability to write.

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would've though having Tamriel act like Alera would actually be quiet interesting. We don't know the actual mechanism on travel between the worlds, so it allows anything to be made up, at any time from the DFVerse.

For example, the mechanism could be a portal that forms for a split second around a randomly selected person, and brings all beings within a set distance along too. Or it could be a gateway in the air, with no travel time, that is open one/both ways, for a set amount of time. Or it could be a g/God banished a person/group and all their allies.

I wouldn't even worry about connecting the two with the Never Never at all - have Tamriel follow all of TES canon, except for the fact that Dresden and a bunch of other people get taken there. If you try and balance the power systems, you can end up with readers arguing over all sorts of things (the Percy Jackson conversations in the DF Fanfic Thread). Whereas dumping a set of characters from one universe into another ignores any scaling issues - both sets of canon are true. This could mean that Dresden would only be capable of less than one hundred different spells. Or it could mean that Dresden can do any of his previous spells, or the TES spells, or both. But each follows it own set of rules. Or it could mean that he would be bound by the lowest cap - DF magic can only be cast if it is something you believe in doing, TES magic only if you have the level; from the point of crossover and onwards, Dresden might be only capable of spells of the right level AND he has to believe in them.

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

And how would you suggest it be done? There really aren't that many way to have a crossover that can't be summarized as 'A Portal Opens' or 'They were there all along.'

This method makes since within the DF and it was good enough for Jim Butcher. I don't really see what's wrong with it, cause it was either this, being Outsider, or a portal to another dimension, and even you have to admit this is way less stupid then a portal.

Yes, the ways to start a crossover are kind of stupid by default; news at eleven. But as long as it don't put people off the story completely, it's okay. It's a plot device to get the story going, which may or may not be handled badly.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's better to just ignore Inq in threads like this. He seems to feed himself on the outrage of people defending their ideas.

[​IMG]

10. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

And there's more interesting ways to do either plot device.

The Never Never is a reflection of the world that the Thalmor wish to create. The rest of the Dresdenverse is the fever dream of the new Daedric Prince of madness-- It turns out that channeling that much power through a mere mortal begins to break them. This leads to instability in the Dresdenverse, and Harry stepping up to figure out why, if not outright getting thrown into Nirn. Probably through a portal somewhat resembling the one to the Shivering Isles in Oblivion.

Alternately, the Stormcloaks won-- And then went on to grow to a Cyrodiil spanning movement that wipes out the races of Mer to the one. This trauma caused the raising of new gods and the shifting of Nirn to, over the millennia, form into the Dresdenverse. Harry's genocide of the Red Court was enough of a symbolic parallel to cause a Dragon Break. Now he's faced with the hard choice of turning back the clock on a much less justifiable genocide, or embracing it in order to find himself back home.

Jim Butcher's entertaining, but he's a fucking hack author. Don't hold him up as the end-all of what's possible with writing even pulp fantasy. And just because it makes sense doesn't make it any good. I mean, shit, given how jealous Malfoy was of Harry in Harry Potter, I could see him being gay for Harry-- Doesn't change that I don't want to read about them making shitbabies.

'kay.

That's called a "gimme plot". "Give me this one utterly implausible and frankly fucking stupid conceit, and I'll make it worth your while." While such plots are not neccesarily bad, they /are/ bad form, and they /do/ encourage laziness, especially in people who don't have the chops to pull them off. (You do not have the chops to pull this off.)

And Aekiel, wrong troll.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta admit, the idea of the Dresdenverse being the dream of the Daedric Prince of Madness is pretty damn awesome.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So... the Dresdenverse wouldn't even be real, just some dream?

That's as stupid as CHIM.

13. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Honestly, I don't find CHIM to be that stupid, though I do dig metafiction. And I tend to err on the side of pushing Daedric Princes towards godlike status. The dream of one would be... quite real and tangible.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. Xon

Xon Guest

That is identical with the Nirn creation myth that all cultures on Tamriel share except with one proposed difference; the number of et'Ada(original spirits) whom split into the two camps Aedra(ancestors) & Daedra(not-ancestors). Aka the gods who invested themselves in the World's creation and the Outsiders who just fuck with it from beyond reality.

It wouldn't be impossible to suggest that a bunch of et'Ada made thier own world distinct from Nirn, as the Daedric themselves each have thier own private demi-worlds(crafted from thier own essance) and obviously as Nirn exists it is possible for et'Ada to work together. One thing for sure, none of the aedra or daedra will talk about it to any real extent

As for how the crossover happens, blame a few Daedric Princes working together to introduce a new potential champion for reasons of thier own into one of the worlds. They love showering Main/Player Characters with their 'gifts' because of the influence they have on thier world, even if they can't directly act.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Uh... what's CHIM?

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

17. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

It's referenced in a handful of books scattered about. And it's less "realizing that they are in a fictional universe" as "realizing that they are the dream of a god, in universe, and therefore they are one with everything."

What Agayek is trying to say is that one interpretation of CHIM lets you explain away console commands and the SDK.

EDIT: And that link is written by someone who doesn't even kind of get CHIM.

18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

'twas the first thing I found on a Google search /shrug

Either way, it's a pretty silly conceit.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC, the writer who thought of it is Michael Kirkbride, who's known for coming up with really batshit ideas. Case in point, "The 26 Lessons of Vivec."

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Been thinking about Elder Scrolls lately and I've been thinking of writing a story chronicling the Dovahkiin's exploits and actions (like I even have the time). Now in-game there is way too much information (conflicting or otherwise) and way to many quests to all be included in one story, or even a series. That's just common logic.

So I thought about excising a good bit of the less relevant quests or simply have them go on, but without the Dovahkiin involved. For example, the Daedric quests. They're fun and they give you awesome weapons and armor, but they're ultimately superfluous to the ultimate story. You don't need to be Morag Bal or Namira's champion when there are NPCs who can stand in for those, such as Vigilant Tyrannus or Eola. Or the Dark Brotherhood storyline, where it climaxes with the assassination of the Emperor. Go ahead, have that occur, but having it off-screen and dealing with some of the repercussions (example the Imperial Legions withdrawing to Cyrodil to help restore order for the new emperor, leaving the loyalists Jarls suddenly outflanked by the Stormcloaks and requiring a new leader aka Dovahkiin). That DB idea is my concept for a sequel

Then there's all the side-quests, like Red Eagle that could simply be incorporated into the greater storyline. While the Forsworn Conspiracy would be a pretty cool arc to incorporate (and great to expand on the three-way internal struggle between the Jarl, the Silverbloods and the Forsworn as well as the outside influences of the Imperials and Stormcloaks), you could easily throw in a mention at the escape part that Madanach plans to find Red Eagle's crypt and use the sword (and maybe the draugar) to rally the Forsworn and natives to his banner again. (And as to why he didn't before, well he was in jail and he didn't want any potential rival leaders in the Forsworn taking it and running with it on their own).

But I think the most important thing is how you'd present the Dovahkiin from the start. Does he have a backstory, a life before becoming what he was at Helgen? Is he an amnesiac expatriate who came back to discover who he was and got caught up in all the insanity? A divinely chosen champion of Talos, sent to unify Skyrim and then the Empire under his rule against Alduin and the Aldmeri Dominion? Or some unholy combination of all three or something else entirely? Is his face known throughout the lands of Skyrim, or is it more of a reputation thing? All sorts of things like that that I want to answer before even starting this task.

I mean, I've got plenty more ideas than that lying around, especially in concerns of how to incorporate certain quests that moved the storyline but are rather difficult to do in such a time-critical atmosphere, as well as developing the NPCs into real characters.

I'm just not sure I have enough time to dedicate to this, especially since I'm still playing Skyrim, working on A Different World, and have uni work to attend to. Hm...

What do you think, guys? Should I at least try to work on a framework? :sherlock: