1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The End of All Things Magical by The Great Hall of Misanthropy - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jswords, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Jswords

Jswords Squib

Title: The End of All Things Magical
    Author: The Great Hall of Misanthropy
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    DLP-Category: General Fics
    Pairing: Harry P., Fleur D.
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 42,993
    Updated: October 9, 2015
    Published: August 19, 2015

Summary:
    Magic is a wonderful, terrible thing - the more you use it, the more you miss it when it's dead and gone. And while it can be used to perform wonderful feats, it may also be used to execute horrible misdeeds - such as resurrect a Dark Lord. And the Boy-Who-Lived finds himself at the centre of it all. Slightly AU. Fourth Year at Hogwarts and beyond.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11457581/1/The-End-of-All-Things-Magical

Not sure if it has been posted yet but The End of All Things Magical by The Great Hall Of Misanthropy is pretty enjoyable so far. It's only four chapters in but has a pretty good update rate so far. The magic system is different from most but I think it works.

Edit by Minion, February 13, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I'm actually quite enjoying this one. I think this also has what is slowly becoming my favorite interpretation of Narcissa Malfoy as a Hogwarts Professor, if not my favorite interpretation of Narcissa Malfoy period.

The magic system is indeed different than most fanfics, but really doesn't feel like it opposes the canon view of magic, rather it feels more like a extension of the canon interpretation of magic, at least to me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  3. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Good recomendation, I'm also enjoying this, not just for the magic system but also the mentorship he's getting from Narcissa - hoping it'll iplay out a little like Mrs. Robinson.

4. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

I have my doubts... Narcissa is the strongest point of this fic, but Harry seems hopelessly naive. If she turns out to be only trying to turn him over - huge dissapointment. Otherwise, it might keep being interesting. Unless the author will explore the MILF angle too much ;)

And entire part where Sirius wondered the desert with Remus... that was pointless, and too long.

Right now I see it as one of fics with cool premise and doubtfull outcome. But I'd love to be wrong about it.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's a little early to really draw conclusions, but here's my thoughts so far:

First off, there's Narcissa herself. I recall JKR saying that the redeeming factor for the Malfoys was the fact they actually loved one another, but here Narcissa and Lucius seem to dislike each other quite a bit. Also present is the notion that women are somehow disregarded in the wizarding world, which I've never quite understood. As far as we can see women are treated as equals to men.
    Those are relatively minor quibbles, though.

The technical writing is okay, if not excellent. Characterization is largely consistent, annoying clichés are mostly avoided, etc.
    Only thing which did lower my enjoyment of the story was the pacing, I suppose. The author sometimes overuses flashbacks, and it's irritating to keep jumping back to one month ago, or two months ago, etc.

A 3.5/5 for now, with the .5 meaning it could go up or down.

6. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

The story seems to be in the same vein as Dragon Lily, (link is a repost) by TheWerewolfWarrior, with the same basic plot.

Of course, minus all the smut.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I'd second that as guilty pleasure.

8. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Unfortunately, WerewolfWarrior terminated that story before things really started going -- both in terms of the main overarching plot (with the Order investigating both the decline of magic and Voldemort's machinations) as well as working out the main romantic entanglements (with Harry being involved with both Lily and Narcissa, but neither reconciling his relationship to the other yet).

I thought it was actually a decent story, not just guilty pleasure, because it had a nice balance of smut and plot -- significantly different from his other story, which was basically just mindless smut. The magic system as well as the plot was intriguing and the story was technically well-written. Still not quite sure why the author ended up abandoning that story -- he only completed the far less engaging pure-smut story instead.

Albeit, Lily's presence was admittedly contrived in the original story and this new version of the story is perhaps more plausible in keeping with her canon fate. And depending on your preferences, fortunately/unfortunately, Harry/Narcissa smut is likely going to be absent.

(Epub of Dragon Lily, from reddit)

9. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

Either the guy who is writing The End of All Things Magical is taking ridiculously heavy inspiration from Dragon Lily, or (more likely in my opinion), this is a rewrite by the author under a different name. There are far too many similarities. Otherwise.

10. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

No, WerewolfWarrior and Misanthropy are, as far as I can tell, two different authors. WerewolfWarrior quit writing DragonLily for some reason and Misanthropy apparently got WerewolfWarrior's permission to write a version of the same story - except no Lily and apparently no smut either. Check Misanthropy's A/N at the top here and WerewolfWarrior's A/N's at the top here and here.

11. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

Well, I suppose it is a rewrite, with heavy inspiration. 2/3 ain't bad, hey?

12. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Apparently someone he knew in real life read his smut story and confronted him about it and freaked him out. I could just imagine it being his mom or something and being like wtf incest.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That's fucking hilarious, if true.

14. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is what sockpuppet accounts are for, kids. Nothing good ever comes out of a family member stumbling upon your freaky fictional perversions.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

16. blkitty

blkitty Squib

I actually got a headache trying to read this... and I'm not sure why. Something in this writer's style just doesn't agree with me. It would be easy to say that it's just bad characterization, or the flow of his writing, but I think its more likely a combination of multiple things. Regardless, I just found myself reading it just to finish the four chapters.

2/5 from me.

17. sollol

sollol Second Year

I like that there are several things storylines:

1. About the threat of magic disappearing and a different prophecy, with seemingly different motives for Voldemort to hunt down the Potters.

2. The return of Voldemort which seems to be done in an unique way, as the attempt to kidnap Moody has failed.

3. The growth of Harry as a wizard, the end of his previous laziness and a hierarchy of magical strenght, something that Canon failed to provide convincingly in my opinion. Harry is shown by Narcissa what can be archieved by magic - and how little he has learned during his time at Hogwarts.

4. The main characters so far have been Narcissa and Harry. The characterization of Narcissa has been done well in my opinion, given the current length, and the relationship between both characters seems to be integral to the story. I am curious to learn how the author will develop it.

It has to be said that Harry and Narcissa are the only characters that the author has developed, whereas there has been no effort made so far to characterize any of Harry's schoolmates or teachers. The writing itself seems to be sound.

I think that this is one of the better stories started this year and have graded it accordingly, 4/5, potentially higher, if the author mantains his good writing.

18. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Updated. Harry's showing was pretty realistic, IMO.
    Fic seems to have more of a Harry/Hermione vibe than H/F, though.

19. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Yeh it kinda feels like the beginning of a H/Hr story doesn't it? But it is nice to see a fic with a predetermined pairing not progress so linearly to that end. I'm kinda sad at the lack of sexy Narcissa lovin' that existed in werewolf warriors original story, but it is almost definitely better off as a serious fic because of it.

It's written competently enough but it's kind of grating that the first time Harry has a chance to show his growth he essentially amounts to nothing more than shooting a few blasting hexes before being summarily wrecked.

World building has occurred, stuff has been said, but nothing has really happened yet. 3.5/5

20. SnowBlack

SnowBlack First Year

I remember reading a similar story with Narcissa Malfoy and the magic dying thing.....your idea is not original anymore, sorry but therefore you will only get 2/5