1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Enemy of My Enemy by Katsuhiro - T - Halo

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Moloch, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Title: The Enemy of My Enemy » by Katsuhiro
    Author: Katsuhiro
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 31
    Words: 115,360
    Updated: Mar 21, 2009
    Published: Jun 6, 2008

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4305125/1/The_Enemy_of_My_Enemy

Summary: Of all the conflicts recorded in the Human-Covenant War, perhaps one of the most interesting was that which occured on the Outer-Colony Crassus, c.Nov.2552. Interesting, and with an entirely unexpected outcome..." //ONI Records Casefile HW-49.EYES ONLY/

Normally when a person reads fanfiction you like to read about a character from the canon plot, depending on the person you like to read how the said character becomes either the epitome of awesome, or being someone else's bitch. There are stories few and far in between that the author creates new character who actually have character and aren't 2 dimensional mary-sues and whose stories based around the new comers actually draw the readers in. This is definately one of them.

Admittedly to get the scenario running some of the characters are a bit OOC to their archetypes and race restrictions but these can be overlooked just because the story is that awesome. Yeah.

P.S. Yeah I probably wouldn't have ever posted this up, but that damn "Hello Nuebus it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?" was driving me up the wall. >_<

Checked by Minion, February 15, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain some input on this one.

Here is the deal:
    This thread didn't gain any comments or ratings for 2 1/2 years. If someone actually likes this fic, please leave a review and a rating.

Otherwise it will be deleted next Monday.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

Blast from the past, this is.

As the OP said, the characters do have some meat to them, though my complaint would be that they do tend to follow archetype a bit too closely, making some scenes a bit predictable.

But my biggest gripe would have to be the shear scale of the battle scenes.

It seemed that at any given point in the battle there are tens of thousands dying every second. It was a bit off putting, simply trying to visualize so much action while staying intimately involved with the main characters. Going from the duel on top of the scarab to brutes being flash-fried by the thousands in seconds by said scarab can throw you off.

In all, not a bad read. I guess it could be summed up as the Battle of Helms Deep, but in the Halo universe.

4. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I beleive its one of the better Halo fanfictions out there. A Strong 4.5/5.

I found the scale workable. I liked most of the characters, and there were enough of them to drown out the ones that weren't good.

I actually liked the archetypal nature of the characters; it allowed me to rapidly slot them into the narrative and from there get into the story.

If you don't like giant war narratives, this is most assuredly not the story for you.

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Recycled based on the lack of votes and the two reviews above

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011