1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Flash

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, obviously the Flash is his own character, but in the Arrowverse Flash has taken Superman's place in the same vein as Arrow being Batman, the contrast between dark and light, hope and fear, man vs god, day vs night... wait, wrong universe.

I feel like making this Wally black isn't a problem, seeing as they've done it well enough with Iris. Ultimately, it's about the character. I don't think Joe's race has been thrust on us even once, or Iris'. In that vein, as long as Wally's character is recognisable, I don't see why his being black should matter, considering this is a new continuity.

Also, people, don't forget that Snart is confirmed for LoT, so obviously they'll be playing up his heroic side. That said, there's other characters there too so hopefully he'll get to play up his opportunistic anti-hero bent rather than just becoming 'good'.

2. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Well, I have never seen Snart as an antihero but he has never been a full on villain for me. Sure he steals, and that IS bad, but when he faces of against Grodd because gorillas are invading his city he is not JUST a villain. And that is the beauty of The Rogues for me.

There is a wonderful panel where Snart has Johnny Quick, an evil alternate version of Flash, against a wall and says something along the lines of: ' You know why I never did this to him? Respect and a code,' before freezing his legs and shattering them with a kick.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

4. Moridin

I was rewatching Season 1 and Rogue Time got me thinking about what you said. I mean, you're right, in both cases we have the destruction of the city being averted in exchange for some minor (relatively speaking) personal losses. Then it occurred to me, everything we know about time travel being dangerous and the fragility of time comes from Thawne. In fact, I haven't gotten there in my rewatch yet but I don't think Stein even mentions the possibility that time will replace Nora's death with another tragedy when discussing Barry going back to save her - the only real point of discussion is ripple effects due to the butterfly principle. And Stein is the 'time travel expert' Barry is told to consult when they first find out about his foray into the past. It's entirely possible that the entire concept is something that Thawne pulled out of his ass in order to prevent Barry from harnessing an otherwise powerful ability. For all that he now hates Thawne, he hasn't questioned most of what S1 Wells taught him (to be fair, most of it was helpful, but even so), probably because it's hard to just stop respecting someone who was such a mentor to him.

I don't know if that is the 'official' explanation or if the entire time travel idea is just something the writers don't want to go overboard with but haven't really thought about how to restrict, but I think it makes sense.

Also, I really wish they'd play up Barry's scientific CSI tricks more often. Watching him do his thing as a forensic analyst at crime scenes is an incredibly fun part of a lot of the S1 episodes, and it seems like that's taken a back seat these days (I also wish they'd sometimes let Barry do exposition or use someone else as the layperson so he didn't look like such an idiot for a scientist, but eh).

Edit: Also, for all Thawne is worried about the fragility of time, he has no trouble going back centuries to kill someone so influential he inspired people hundreds of years after his death, so...

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, this happened.

Everything about this is just so fucking bad I want to fucking laugh or cry or both.

6. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not the best episode but still acceptable. Perhaps not how the first episode after the break should have been though. Everything just felt kind of...quiet. Like there was no rush or anything or anyone was in danger.

One thing that really bugged me (Though it is quite stupid) is how Caitlin said Barry ould have 2/10ths of a second between each pulse to move. Why 2/10ths? Why not a fifth? Using fractions that can be simplified have always been a pet peeve of mine.

Another thing was Wally. The kid came off as kind of a douche. Yeah, he's doing illegal activities to help pay for his mum's treatment (Like we haven't seen that before) but if he cares for his mother that much then maybe he should suck up his pride and take the handout from Joe?

After this episode, I just realised the similarities between Patty to one of Oliver's love interests in Season 1, McKenna Hall. They are both one of the few people who actually say "Fuck it, this place is too messed up for me. I'm moving out" and get the hell out of dodge. They will always be two of my favourite characters (Despite McKenna's short tenure) and I hope to see them once again in the future, perhaps after Patty has finished course and decides to fight Barry for his job or even work alongside one another.

The build up that every single superhero does when they intend to reveal their identity (But never do) is extremely annoying. They always start off with a speech like "I've been keeping a secret from you for blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, bah blahThe truth is that I-" And then they get cut off! No superhero ever just goes right up to their love interest and before saying anything just goes "I'm The Flash". Batman, if he ever intended on revealing his identity would be quite good at this: "I'M BATMAN!"

Overall, I'd give the episode a 3/5 but that's probably because I've been starved of things to watch.

7. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The Caitlin/Jay stuff is slightly annoying now tbh.

Looks like were going to get the classic origin story for Thawne in the next few eps.

8. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    Thawne didn't actually seem all that evil. Sure, he had only one line but still, his tone of voice was a far cry from evil overlord. I'm hoping to see a three against one of Barry, Jay and Thawne vs Zoom.

9. Moridin

Thawne is IIRC a Flash fanboy who went evil after he discovered he was historically evil. Kind of a bootstrap paradox there. So if it is indeed his origin story, it's possible that he won't be evil, and it might even be the fight against Thawne that turns him so. Although the line about Barry never being rid of him does imply that he does go a little crazy the very next episode, so there's that.

The actor playing Thawne does have some big shoes to fill, though, and I was personally hoping we'd somehow get Wellsobard back through time stream body merge handwaving, especially since the Wells/Harry confusion could be hilarious.

10. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

This. As Wells said, this is his origin story.

Episode was okay. I was surprised Turtle actually reminded me of a turtle.The Patty leaving scene is a cliché but I guess she'll come back before the season ends. What I'm really hoping to be good are the two next episodes.

11. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

HUNTER ZOLOMAN!!!

Barry almost willing to let Cisco die to make sure Thawne stays captured.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am totally uninterested in the West family drama, any aspect of it. Barry is being an annoying douche and the forced Caitlyn - whatshisface romance is just a waste of time.

On the other hand, the Cisco-Wells bonding and the Wells subplot and character in general are what is carrying the show for now. Always great to see them in action, especially Wells.

13. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    The sheer amount of stupid in this episode...

There wasn't a single character that actually used their brains in this episode. I'm getting real annoyed with the whole "People who know my secret get hurt" thing. It's old and cliche and stupid. It's the main reason why I liked The Amazing Spider-Man so much. I'm gonna rant here so I'll just use Spoiler tags to spare everyone's eyes.
    • Barry relying on shadows to talk to Thawne. Who does he think he is, Batman? That was a risk which could have been negated by just wearing the damn costume.
    • Cisco telling Thawne exactly who he was and how he was going to defeat him. You don't tell 17 year old Tom Riddle that your name is Harry Potter and you're going to kill him someday.
    • Wells acting all mysterious in front of Thawne for no reason at all. It's like he wanted his Earth-1 Counterpart and wife killed.
    • Both Jay and Caitlyn looking for a doppelganger, thinking that the matching cells will work and completely ignoring the fact that he needed to be a speedster.
    • Wally being a dick about the money for his mum's treatment. Suck it up and ask your old man for the cash if you care about your mother so much.
    • Barry doing the whole "Knowing my secret can hurt you". Seriously, it's getting old.
    In conclusion 2.5/5 rounded down to 2/5.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you're right on why Wells did that. He already knows what is supposed to happen to E1Wells in the past and is trying to ensure Eobard sticks to the timeline. I'd say that's the same reason Cisco prodded Eobard over his powers so specifically.

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That episode was fucking phenomenal, everyone nailed their performances from super dweeb Barry to lounge singer Joe to Reverb Cisco and the overall atmosphere of Earth-2 was very well done. I was also very happy to get to see Zoom at the end there. My absolute favorite parts of this however were the laundry list of Easter eggs.

1. Yet another solid confirmation of the coming Flash/Supergirl crossover episode which I am very excited about.
    2. Barry's speed dial including names like Hal, Bruce and Diana.
    3. Mayor Snart
    4. Jonah Hex and metal arm Green Arrow.

I wasn't all that fond of the last episode since it just screamed filler but they knocked it out of the park for this one.

16. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

When did 4 happen?

17. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    During the trip through the speed cannon it's really hard to catch on the first run through but they are there if you pay attention to all the images.

18. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Metal arm green arrow? I thought it was black Green arrow tbh.

Also since Barry from e2 was normal the speeddial while cool, didnt really mean as much.

Deathstorm was awesome, Killer Frost was pretty cool, Barry while having a good reason for forgetting the mission, seems to do that a lot tbh.

19. Emelye

Emelye Squib

High Score:
    I really like this show, but the one thing that's stopping me from loving it is how they mess with Barry's powers all the time. He's super fast one episode, and the next episode the writers have to curb his power to make the villains believable. Almost every villain he faced so far could be beaten with simply speeding up to them and punching them really hard.

Like, Doctor Light? Why did Barry have any trouble at all beating her? Her power was shooting light projectiles from her hands. He could incapacitate her before she even knew what was happening. And we all know that Barry can move that fast with ease, he once held a whole one-sided conversation with Iris before she finished pouring sugar in her coffee.

This episode was easily the best of the season, but again it had problems with Barry not tying up Firestorm and Killer Frost when Cisko yelled for him. In the crossover episode with Arrow, he defeated an entire fortress of super assassins in a matter of seconds. In the episode where they found the new kid to be Firestorm, he managed to get blood from 2 people and they only felt a pinprick without realizing he was even in the room. What's to stop him from coming in with a sedative and injecting villains before they know he's even around?

20. Moridin

This is a consistent issue with Flash. In the previous season, he needs to get Cold and Heatwave to cross their streams instead of, you know, disarming them. One episode he picks up four people and places them in locations across the city so they can simultaneously defuse a bomb, and in another he needs to enlist the aid of a supervillain to transport comatose criminals to an airport. He can react fast enough to feel a bullet at his neck and move out of its way, but not fast enough to dodge two bolts from crossbows that weren't exactly silent.

I'm really enjoying this show, but there's never been any consistency in terms of his powers. You're right in that it's a serious problem, and any fun watching is despite Barry's consistency, which is a bit of a shame given how well they handle so many other things.