1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The French Affair by SeriousScribble - M - [Harry/Fleur]

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Sesc, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: The French Affair
    Author: Sesc (Me)
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Noir
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Harry/OC, Harry/Fleur
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 45,201
    Updated: January 8, 2011 (ff.net), December 10, 2012 (DLP-WbA)
    Published: September 7, 2008

Other Links: FF.Net :: WbA

Summary:
    Five Years Later: All is not well. After the Final Battle with the Dark Lord, Harry’s life has settled down and left him unsatisfied. But suddenly, there’s a murder, and then, a chance meeting with the beautiful Fleur Delacour changes things completely. In midst of political tensions, schemes start to involve Harry, with more than one obscure agenda. Intrigues, secret projects and lies – and who could resist a fatally alluring woman again?

Yeah. Figured that with the last update, it was long enough to put it up here. Originally, I thought it would be light and a bit humorous, basically James Bond-style, and even though that is still there, it really turned more serious and darkish than I first imagined.

By now it’s my most thoroughly planned out story, with more details and ideas I could possibly fit in there, so depending on how things (time) go, a sequel is entirely possible; set in Germany and perhaps Egypt – I found a very appealing ending for this part the other day ... ;)

Checked by Minion, June 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Reading chapter 3 now but I've been reading this since the beginning and it's good. I actually thought it was in the library already (silly me) Anyway a 5/5 from me, excellent writing.

I second this wish :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Nah, you get a 4 from me and that won't change until you've posted no less than 5 more chapters ;)

Well, most has been said in the Wba section, so from me... I'd add a pray or two for you to get enough free time to actually finish this asap and start working on that sequel you're having in mind...

A side wish would be for an update of "By That Last Candle’s Light"...

4. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

I'm not ready to rate this... until you give us MOAR!

This story plot look really interesting and I love the sidestory about Merlin "invasion" of France, but until we see more then 5 chapters like psihary said then I going to have to go with 4/5. Although, I have no doubt that if your next chapters is on the same standard with the first three then I will have no choice but to change it to 5/5. :p

5. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I like the first chapter, it builds excitement and gets me interested. I can't really isolate why but the subsequent chapters do not excite me.

I'll try to pinpoint why, when I find the time to reread your fics carefully sometime after I get some sleep.

6. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Intriguing story, however in my opinion the attempt at being mysterious was not done well. The changes between times, flashbacks leave a reader confused...well that's how I've felt at least.

There is a lot of room for improvement but it was not really that bad...
    also Harry/Fleur is always a big, fat PLUS.

3/5.

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I started reading this fic couple of months ago but lost interest pretty quickly. Personally, I don't like post-Hogwarts fics because authors tend to change the universe so much I'm not sure if it's still Harry Potter fic I'm reading. Unfortunately, this is the case.

Also, as Lukaskr mentioned, the story, or at least its first chapters, are very confusing.

From as much as I remember, Fleur acted very OOC for her (compared to canon, 4th book).

Overall, I didn't read enough to rate this fic, but I didn't like it.

8. Sesc

Well, at least someone actually wrote what his problem with the story was, and not only left a rating.

Hm. I'm trying to pinpoint the problems more exactly, since for me, it's not problematic at all (well, obviously). The first chapter is a prologue, and the story takes place two weeks before that -- and is basically about how things got to that point, that is all. I'm a bit confused about your usage of "changes of times" as in, plural, and flashbacks. There is and will be only this one time jump (marked with "Gassin, Southern France, about two weeks prior") and no Flashback whatsoever.

Harry isn't remembering anything; I'm only telling it that way. And it really has nothing to do with making it more mysterious, the mystery aspect would work just as well without the prologue; better, even, since I'm forestalling a few things there that would otherwise still be unknown.

I think the real reason was that I simply wanted an action-packed start (which included Fleur throwing fireballs and culminated in the fun-to-read, but otherwise completely irrelevant fencing-scene).

In hindsight, perhaps it would have been better to start with the actual first chapter, but I can't change that now ;)

However, I can learn from reactions for future stories.

So, is it only the time-jump that bugs you, or is there something else that makes the mystery-aspect not work for you? Was there anything else that you meant ("changes between times, flashbacks")? And in particular, confusing, how? You didn't know what was going on?

Edit:

For KrzaQ the same where his points are the same, obviously. Regarding Fleur and OOC compared to GoF, that might be possible, since it's been some time since I read it. Although I do remember her distaste for anything English, and as for the rest ... well, it's been eight years since then. Any particular instance that stood out to you?

And what great changes did I make to the Canon Universe? It isn't Harry Potter anymore? Wut?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  9. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Finally. A more than decently written Harry/Fleur story. Somehow I seem to have missed this in the WbA, well, my loss. After Jbern's story, there was a serious lack of good Harry/Fleur stories which have a solid plot. This looks to be the most promising yet, in close competition with Methene's story ( I would also state Perspicacity's story, but it put me off around chapter 10 <_<).

The story seems to have a, I dunno, spy-thriller kind of feel to it. I suppose it was intentional? If not, its still very exciting. The whole cat-fight in the ministry was excellent, the dialogue and the flow in the duel was the best I've ever seen. That said, Fleur did seem a little bit ooc from canon. But, as its been a few years since GoF and what little appearance there was in DH, I can easily picture the changes.

Harry seemed more, err, canon-ish in chapter 3, what with the war-flashbacks and all. Would really like it if there was more interaction with canon characters though. Either way I will be looking out in the WbA for more chapters, if you're still posting it there.

4/5 from me. 1 point reserved for completion of the fic.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. Sesc

Thanks. Yes, the spy-thriller feel was intentional indeed, I'm glad that atmosphere came across. There'll be more of that later on; and there'll be all of the Canon characters we know as well (featuring more or less prominently), once Harry is back to England (in the next chapter).

As for Fleur's character ... I've thought about that a bit, and I guess she's different from Canon to an extent, but the reason for that is that I need her in a very specific role. Hopefully, I can make plausible how she got there in the further course of the story. If not, you're stuck with HawtSpy!Fleur, without much further explanation >_>

11. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

If that qoute of yours is in this story Sesc, I'm definitely gonna read this one.

12. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I prefer it as it is actually, and while it would have been nice to see a -Two weeks earlier- notation at the beginning of the second chapter, I would like to believe I caught on to what was happening fairly quickly.

As such, my only advice thus far is 'If your going to Time jump, Be sure to Post it'. Outside of that though... I'm enjoying it, but there's not enough to rate it yet. (And as an aside, the Nimue/Merlin side story, short as it was, was a perfect 5/5)

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Already sent a review, but I might as well put something here as well.

I enjoyed it. I found a few things weird - like the random sword fight - but for the most part, it was interesting the whole way through, with the exception of the Floo Tour in the latest chapter. However, I can tell a lot of the information revealed will probably be relevant in the future in some way.

Interesting concept with the Floo Powder, as well. Even though canon has given us something already on it's origins, I liked the change. Something so minor doesn't bother me all that much.

I look forward to more.

14. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Could this be moved to the library? It has several votes of approval, and there’s already enough material written to make a judgement, 35,000 words, which is longer than the vast majority of fics already in the library. The notice in Tinn Tam’s stickied thread doesn’t apply to this.

One thing I thought to mention is I don’t see the noir. The atmosphere is immersive but not really dark.

15. Sesc

I've started writing on the new chapter (which means just about nothing, but it does sound good ;))

But the noir thing -- I took it in the original meaning, as in Noir Fiction. You know, those novels from the 1930's and 50's. And the reason I labelled it such is that I eventually realised I was borrowing a few elements from there, which was funny in a way, because I hadn't really read any Noir Fiction at that point, and started on them only after that (currently, I'm at Black Wings Has My Angel -- epic title is epic).

Mainly, it's the 180° turns in the story, and bits of characters as well -- Noir has never a clear cut good guy/bad guy, but rather how or what the character is only depends on the angle you look at it, and it shifts in the course of the story.

Add to that the strong female counterpart, which is always very much attractive, but otherwise usually cold, manipulative and dangerous (one guess as to who takes that role here) and I thought the category'll fit.

The style isn't quite the same (which is mostly due to a lack of planning on my part -- originally, I never intended it to become like that) and it won't become completely stereotypical, but the atmosphere should be getting there, eventually.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That makes sense. I haven't read any noir fiction so I was thinking film noir translated into writing, which usually involves corruption in officials, has it be perpetually night, and whatnot.

Look forward to reading more. A lot more. Several ten thousands of words.

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Ahh, Noir.

I was trying to figure out why this story couldn't hold my attention, I think you gave me the answer.

18. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Well, I finally finished that story -- nice job, Sesc, very nice job. I'd write a more detailed review, but I think I've told you most of my thoughts in IRC as the story progressed, and I'd have to reread it all to formulate a coherent opinion.

I can say at least that you've managed to give an interesting view of international relationships; the general atmosphere in a Voldemort-free world is well-done, too. There's a distinctly modern feel to this magical world that JKR's doesn't have.

On a side note:

Elementary psychology, Andromalius. You post that, and there's a fair chance the story will stay one more week in For Review just for the hell of it. However, since I'm very mature and not at all contrary, I'll move it now instead of waiting to do it all in the next Spring-cleaning. It's true the thread has been here for 2 months, even though most reviews arrived much later on.

But I would be extremely grateful if you didn't make it into a habit to tell us how to do our job.