1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Game is Afoot by Perspicacity - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: The Game is Afoot
    Author: Perspicacty
    Rating: M
    Genre: Angst/Romance
    Words: 18,961
    Published: September 18, 2008
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Ginny; one-sided Harry/Daphne
    Summary : The War is over. Harry and Ginny plan a life together, then Harry disappears without a trace. Eight years later, Ginny wants answers. And where does Daphne fit in? A Harry/Ginny/Daphne anti-romance.

Link : here

I just reread this one a while back, and noticed it was neither in Library or the WBA section, so I thought to put it up for review.

As for the story -- it has one of the most interesting takes on Daphne Greengrass character I've read. For once, Goblins are exactly as they should be and Harry recalling Griphook's name does more harm than good. Harry's relationships with Ginny and Daphne are quite fascinating to think about -- both love him in their own way, but both have seriously hurt him - Ginny through ignorance and Daphne through jealousy.

On the flip side, I don't like Harry's characterization. He's much too passive to be a very exciting character. It seems as if the whole world shits on him and he does nothing in turn but endure. Not my favorite kind of protagonist. Fortunately, both Ginny and Daphne are better characters with interesting perspectives, and more or less make up for Harry's passivity. 4/5 from me.

2. potterheadcharles

potterheadcharles Third Year

Read this a while ago and felt it was too...flat.

Contrary to what the OP said, I didn't like this Daphne (in spite of being her no. 1 fan) or Ginny or Harry, either.

I remember being a little too disappointed after reading this. And making a face.

2/5.

3. Drunken dark lord

Drunken dark lord First Year

I agree with potterheadcharles. 2/5

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I didn't rate this story.

The story evoked emotion, which is always a testament to writing skill, but it was difficult to sustain it. I suspect most of the reason was the continuous flashbacks. It broke the story up too much. I'd just get into a scene or a particularly part of a storyline, and it'd be over, which then caused me to lose interest in the rest of the story and I'd have to fight to get it back.

Writing is decent. A tad turgid in a few places, and a tad wooden in a couple others, but overall, it's good quality writing.

So, why didn't I rate it?

I always have a hard time getting into 3rd person present, and although I don't think it's the reason I struggled with the emotion sustaining through the story (or the interest), I can't be sure. So to be fair, I won't rate it.

But - I think the material very well could be library worthy. Had it been written in a way that didn't incorporate flashbacks, and a tad smoother in tags/beats, It'd be a 4/5 at least, and maybe even 5/5.

5. Stan

Stan Order Member

Hmmm..... I generally dislike third person present as well, which was part of the reason I couldn't quite get into the author's Dagger and Rose either. For what its worth, I found it slightly hard to keep track of events the first time I read it as well, it was only when I reread it recently that I found I really liked it. I do think you're right though -- the flashbacks break the story quite a bit, but the material of the story is very good.