1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Girls Who Can't Unplug by Lavanya Six - T- Worm

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Nemrut, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: The Girls Who Can't Unplug
    Author: Lavanya Six
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: Tattletale/Panacea
    Words: 2,411
    Summary: We have our rules and stick to them. Amy because, like ivy, she needs scaffolding to build herself up. Me? Because they make for more opportunities for fun than chaos does. Although if I was being brutally honest with myself, and it's hard not to be, it's because those rules are the only thing that keep this game between us going. (AU; pre-series divergence.)
    Link: fanfiction.net

So, this one is rather well known here, has been discussed a bit in the old Worm thread and was once again mentioned in the Tattletale thread and I think it more than deserves its own thread.

It's probably my favourite Worm fanfic. Its grasp on both, Lisa and Amy is excellent, I love the dynamic there, especially with their powers, their issues and their personalities. How they clash and work together, it's just amazing.

It's probably the best fic about both of them that I have read and one of the must reads of Worm fanfiction.

The one point of critique I have is that I wish it was much, much longer.

5/5

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

My most reread Worm fic (but a bit easy when it's only 2.4k words). It's hard reviewing one-shots, especially ones that are this short and just made up of one scene. You could argue that it's easy to write a good scene, but a lot harder to write a longer fic.

But I'd still say this fic was reasonably ambitious. I have yet to see any pairing in the Worm fandom actually work and this one goes a step further and tries to pair Lisa/Amy. Hell just getting Tattletale's narrative should be reasonably difficult alone.

It should be really hard to pull off, but this fic made it feel all so natural. Both characters feel completely spot on, and yet it makes a completely believable relationship dynamic that makes sense for them to be together. Where Tattletale can see through all of Amy's fucked up-ness to the point where Amy actually feels free enough to be open about it.

Anyway, I really wish that author would add more to the story. More snippets even. It's 5/5 for quality and concept, but too short for me to actually give it that rating so 4/5.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I've read it a couple times. Length is no bar to quality, and the way this one just grabs hold of the two characters is a difficult challenge that came off very, very well. Smooth writing, too.

5/5

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

This is one of my favorite oneshots in any fandom. Loved the use of Tattletale's power, and characters are spot on. It makes Amy likable while still keeping her in character, which is an almost insurmountable task in my opinion.

Really makes you wish Lavanya Six would write something longer.

5/5.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Short, but smooth and masterfully written in my opinion. The author manages to not only capture the personality of these two characters, but can manipulate it to fit the scenario.

5/5.

6. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Personally, while I do like most of Lavanya's stories that I've read, this one just didn't excite me. 3/5

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I don't see how this is worth a 5/5 in any way. The writing quality is decent, much better than most Worm stories(not that that's saying much, ha), but I'm not sure why this is supposed to be even slightly interesting.

It's literally a 2.4k word conversation about nothing. I read it twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Another example of Spacebattles' Panacea/lesbian fixation, I guess. It's the opposite sex equivalent of Harry/Draco, and similarly, there's no actual story outside of the relationship.

The only redeeming quality of this story is how it seems to examine how people with weird powers would have a relationship.

Eh.
    2.5/5

8. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

"To counter the chill in me, the hot coffee is the second best panacea available." - I think that's a great line. It's an entertaining little one-shot that works well mainly due to the Tattletale perspective. 4/5

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I like it, it knows what it's doing and does it. It also has this gem "[dating a] Bisexual runaway villainess not socially acceptable outside seedy internet forums."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015