1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Golden Age by Arsinoe de Blassenvil - T - Complete - HHr

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by bornagainpenguin, May 10, 2008.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: The Golden Age
    Author: Arsinoe de Blassenville
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: General Fics
    Pairing: Harry P. & Hermione G.
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 97,015
    Updated: April 21, 2008
    Published: July 26, 2007

Summary: Post DH. In the wake of victory, Harry struggles with life, love, and the reform of the British wizarding world. He learns that life is complex, and that happy endings are fleeting. Chapter 24- Dreams: The Unicorn in Kensington Gardens

Link: here

Wow. The author of this fic decided to write their story to explain how cannon with all its contradictions could have ended as it did with the pairings it did. Its a bit of a task and the author eventually abandons earlier attempts at retrofitting when JKR constantly changes her mind on details such as whether or not Ron is employed at the Ministry, working as an Auror, working at WWW or what...

Particularly of interests to me are the depiction of the Malfoys and their slow crawl back to the top again, the way Snape comes to be seen over time, some thoughts on the inner workings of the Ministry, use of portraits...some good stuff in this fic. I especially liked the last chapter, which while confusing presented a three or four way path to which the future could unfold. Nice.

Some of the best stuff in this fic doesn't occur until the last two or three chapters though.. Without giving too much away I hope, there is a possible exposure of the wizarding world and a wonderful depiction of how this might be handled by the ministry. Well worth reading for that alone if nothing else, IMHO.

Unfortunately, this fic wasn't the WTFBBQ LOL-fest I was originally expecting, having read a review elsewhere which gave the impression the author would be randomly changing events in the story as a comment on the inanity of cannon and the way JKR has been changing things to suit her needs to be an attention-whore. Fortunately by the time I'd realized how badly I'd misunderstood the review I read I'd already been sucked in and had to read until the end.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Perfection

Perfection Fourth Year

Die Hermione die...

:wall:

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Which one? There are at least two (if not more) Hermoines in Harry Potter. Personally I don't consider anything after the fourth book to be valid, even if I'm willing to take some of book five with a grain of salt.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: If you're referring to the version in book six, then I quite agree with you!

4. Methene

Methene Auror

That could be extended for every single character in the HP world. Most, if not all of them seem to have taken a turn for the worst after book five. Much like the whole series, actually.

Also, my personal suggestion to you, Perfection, is to not refuse a story simply by its pairing, or main character. The Weasleys, however are the exception that proves the rule. For them, death, slaughter and mayhem is the only way.

What I despise about Hermione's character, which puts me off reading about her, is her self-righteous attitude. She is the opposite of Voldemort. One supports a pureblood ideal, the other an egalitarian ideal. Granted, she is not a complete psycho, but I am sure Lenin would look upon her with pride.

5. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ugh...Harry is manipulated again. And by Snape no less. and WTF is up with Harry being happy to see Dumbledore after even Minerva admited she isn't fond of him for what he had Harry do. (Namely jumping infront of a avada kedavra curse.)

6. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Only read up to chapter two but I'm having a hard time suspending my disbelief. You have scores of wizards out diddling and memory charming women and the result is explained away with at most, a few angry letters ending in an attempt at humour by the author.

Just what the fuck?

7. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

This is one of the worst HP stories I've ever read. The author's ability to make every character an utterly unlikable shitbag is truly awe inspiring.

Except for Snape and the Malfoys, who are the saints of the story. Yes, Lucius "I Try To Kill 11 Year Old Girls" Malfoy is a moral paragon that the hopelessly evil and arrogant main characters can never hope to equal. In fact, he's so awesome that Harry and Hermione vote for him for Minister. I won't even touch Hero Snape and his Rising From The Dead(tm). I would read dozens of mpreg fics before I would set eyes on this again.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. malaga

malaga Auror

Wow.

This is really good characterisation. If this had been between Deathly Hallows and it's Epilogue, it all would have made much more sense.

Best of all is her way of keeping the characters with both their flaws and their good points. Too often Snape is either a stupid bastard who sucks up to everyone, or selfless hero of the light. This shows him as a bastard who is basically looking out for numero uno. He may help others, but only for his own amusement.

Hermione is vilified, but I could see it happening, with her past actions (the memory charms, SPEW, Marietta, etc.) and the way the author lays out her accidental regime of fear, well, it all seems scarily plausible.

The way people are talking, it feels as though they read through the summary and first few sentences before jumping on the reviewing band wagon.

This is really really good work. It isn't the sort of thing I normally read, preferring action or humour, but this makes you rethink a few things regarding Harry, Ron, and Hermione's actions throughout the series.

5/5

9. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Name a positive characteristic the main characters have in this story. They range from ineffectual enabler and horrible parent (Harry) to drug addicted slut (Ginny) to cheating midlife crisis guy (Ron) to satan/hitler combination (Hermione). In contrast, Lucius and Draco are both portrayed as living happily ever largely sans flaws.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Review usefully, or don't review at all.

11. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

[​IMG]

Starting chapters are... meh. Harry comes off a bit more...judgmental than I would expect from a cannon work, but that's OK. The quality really picks up from chapter 8~ when... well, no spoilers.

Atm, around 3.5-4/5.

12. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I tried to get into this. I really tried, but it just proved too dull and insipid for me to continue on.

Besides being boring, the characterizations of nearly everyone (Harry, the Malfoys, and especially Hermione) are horrible.

While one can say that it does offer a somewhat plausible transition between the end of DH and the epilogue, it requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief which together with it's generally dull plot, would turn more than a few readers off.

2/5

13. The Fine Balance

This is not just stupid, but downright vicious.

As a character...Harry is not likable at all. He's stupid, judgemental, fucking retardedly vicious, irrational (Have tete-a-tete with L. Malfoy but this about a school child?)...

And its interesting.

I dunno whether it was intentional or not...but it is a different take on Harry. Let's see if he can mentain it or whether these are just errors.

14. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I found this story quite interesting; it was thought provoking, if nothing else. So many fics have happily ever after endings, with Harry and (Insert Ship Here) either ruling over the world or staring down at their child. The progression of characters, especially Hermione's, was disturbing and highly enthralling. The last few chapters, if nothing else, are a true gem to read. Excellent fic, well worth the time.

A solid 4/5, because I truly cannot believe Lucius was even close to in character.

15. The Fine Balance

Amazingly well done.

The gradual corruption is beautiful. The fact that they are essentially kids, and hugely blinkered by their inexperience - sexy. Power corrupts. This fic elucidates that point eloquently.

Yet, there are problems. Its a bit...too fast, the decent. You have to suspend disbelief at times. Length would have improved that well.

4.5/5.

16. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

So far, having read 8 chapters, all I can say that this one looks promising, definitely library-worth story.

The plot is better than average, however what is outstanding is the amount of details spent on describing the characters. We can see both their flaws as well as better sides...

The way Molly Weasley thinks that no witch is good enough for her sons, the way Harry is ignorant about wizarding world, it's tradition, rules etiquette, how Ron Weasley is just... Ron... and my favourite here, Lucius Malfoy. Cunning, subtle, a true believer of wizarding superiority (with the difference that he would rather work from the inside of the ministry than taking it over)

Truly worth reading...

4.5/5

17. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Quoted for truth, sans one thing. There are a few rough spots here and there that lessened my enjoyment a bit. That being said, I give it a 4/5.

18. Methene

Methene Auror

4.5/5

The author does a wonderful job of twisting the world, and JKR's declarations to paint an amazingly believable post-DH Wizarding world. The characters all have flaws, there is no idolatry and everything is surrounded in the shades of grey I like. The imagery is especially beautiful in the later chapters.

It is true that the earlier chapters are not quite as good, but I think that is more due to the needed starting point provided by JKR. Once the story settles into its true self, the quality increases. To those with little patience, I recommend you trudge on, you will not be disappointed.

There are some weak parts to it, that I must address, however. Harry seemed too much of a spectator for my tastes. I would have liked to see more involvement from him. I understand that it is not what the story set out to do, and it stays in with the trend of his DH character. That is why I don't detract points from it.

The ending is both masterfully done, but slightly disappointing. To those who have read it, What Happens Next? It leaves me wondering, which is a wonderful thing.

This is no fairy tale. It paints a realistic post-DH Wizarding world, without taking any side. Sometimes muggles are the favourites, sometimes wizards. It is a well balanced story, with excellent characterization and well usage of existing characters.

It is a tragedy, no doubt, pulled off rather well, without endless fluff and romance. The tone fits well, the description is fantastic in the latter chapters.

To all who would wish to read a well done, tragic, post-DH world, in the style that the end of Lord Voldemort does not mean paradise, I heartily recommend this to you.

19. Ancalion

Ancalion First Year

I liked it, but I wasn't really drawn in. It seemed...forced at times. The Hermione and crouch interaction was really well done though.

20. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Wait, so this isn't a Harry Potter/Berserk crossover?

Dammit!

Last edited: May 13, 2008