The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

2. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

Wow. That game was depressingly bad- both teams were terrible. Germany are going home and they deserve it, after how they played today. They had so much possession and failed to do anything with it. The South Korean keeper did have a great game though.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    That was rather dreadful, wasn’t it? There was no Schweinsteiger figure today, someone who could embody absolute conviction and fighting spirit. Kroos tried his best, but as he often does in the national team, he came up short. The less said about Özil and the rest of the offensive group, the better.

Löw tried to turn the clock back today with Özil and Khedira, and he succeeded. Unfortunately, he landed in 2004.

4. h2o

h2o Professor

Germany and Mexico both talked shit about Sweden's football. This is kaaarmaaaa! That late goal we let in against Germany was heartbreaking but fucking hell, talk about bouncing back! Very well deserved win today vs Mexico and we emerge as group winners, we'll see how far we can go but I truly hope and believe we can go one step further :D

And I just can't stop laughing at Germany! Fucking hilarious!

5. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LOOOOOOOOOOL

6. Gengar

High Score:
    Good. Fuck Argentina. They like to give it like dirty cunts but cry when they get it.

Mbappe was ridiculous. Griezmann really mature and led the team.

7. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

Best game so far. But yeah, Fuck Argentina.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    That France vs Argentina game…

E126A1B0-2986-4758-99D9-64E10CF362E8.gif

9. 99redbloons

99redbloons Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spain got what they deserved in the end. They didn't play aggressively enough and never really looked like scoring. Also that side of the bracket looks very very weak now.

10. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

And I thought today's first game was disappointing. What a letdown coming from Argentina/France and Portugal/Uruguay, hopefully there will be no other game this bad.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    Agreed. I can appreciate a well-fought game, but 2/2 does feel like a letdown.

At least my dark horse is still in the tournament. :sherlock:

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Thank fuck Spain are out. That was an excruciating two hours...

13. vlad

vlad Groundskeeper Prestige

High Score:
    Given the lackluster performance of the big teams (the ones that actually got into the tournament), I'm almost at the point hoping for Russia vs Japan, Round 3.

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    This is technically 2018/19 but since we‘re probably going to see out the World Cup on here, I figured I might as well post this here.

Niko Kovac made his first appearance for Bayern today at a double press conference where Serge Gnabry was also introduced. I liked a lot of what he said – he wants to take his time to integrate Renato Sanches and keep the playing style first established under Louis van Gaal. To my recollection, this is the first time van Gaal‘s name was explicitly mentioned by a head coach in a meaningful way ever since he was fired in 2011.

I didn‘t like his reluctance when it came to the potential of players leaving the club quite as much – as I have mentioned elsewhere, I would like to have some fresh blood beyond Gnabry and Goretzka – but I don‘t think we have seen the last of Bayern‘s activity on the transfer market yet. I‘d but Boateng, Vidal and Bernat at the top of the "leave" list, though not necessarily in that order. Maybe Thiago as well, depending on how he gets along with Kovac when he comes back from his post-WC holiday. Kovac also mentioned that he‘s talked to and is willing to work with Lewandowski, which is not something I have made my mind up about yet. His World Cup was thorouhly underwhelming, the quality of his teammates aside. I get the impression that he‘s not quite focused on performing to the highest level at the moment. Let‘s see what happens until mid-August. If he‘s still there once the Bundesliga season starts, he‘s staying, methinks.

15. BTT

BTT Death Eater

What a fucking match. It never should've been 0-2 in Japan's favor in the first place but somehow we made a fucking comeback from the fucking brink at the last second.

Rah
  16. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    Fellaini, FFS. Sometimes you wonder how the man still has a job, and sometimes you wonder why he doesn‘t start every game. He definitely deserves his share of this victory.

17. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

Let's see how Brazil plays this friday against its first Big Team opponent. Hope I don't have a heart attack. But Brazil has been playing much better in a WC than I've seen it in... well, 16 years.

18. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Brazil have that feeling that they're going to grind out 1-0 or 2-0 results all tournament.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm Australian, but I've never been as crestfallen about a country's exit as I was for Japan's... :(

20. Ganago

Ganago Squib

So narrow, so narrow, but a victory's a victory for Belgium... in any case, they thought of the game too lightly, and rightly so. Only after the 70th minute the Belgians seemed to grasp that they were never going to outrun the Japanese.