1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Great Toad Sage of Brockton Bay by Green Eyed Typhoon - T - Worm/Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by soczab, Jun 21, 2017.

1. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Title: The Great Toad Sage of Brockton Bay
    Author: Green Eyed Typhoon
    Rating: T
    Genre: AU Crossover
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 179,464
    Updated: May 18, 2017
    Published: January 4, 2016
    Fandom: Worm / Naruto
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Taylor Hebert triggers with a very odd, if useful, set of powers. With the ability to summon the Toads of Mount Myoboku she enters the cape scene with both the aspirations to be a hero and the backing of a family. Based on the previous Toad summoners, she has a lot to live up too. Best get started….
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11712347/1/The-Great-Toad-Sage-of-Brockton-Bay

I searched and didnt see this posted here. Hopefully I didnt overlook it.

Anyway, I was kind of torn between "almost recommend" and this forum for the fic. In the end, I figured I would put it here and get some other opinions. Especially as I came to this from the Naruto side and not the WORM side, how the author integrates it with WORM (something I would need other opinions on) might be the difference between whether its just a guilty pleasure read or not.

Like the description says, the plot is essentially that Taylor's powers trigger as the ability to summon the Toads from Naruto's world. She doesn't have Chakra, just toad summoning. The author has put some limitations on it (so she isnt for example able to summon the Boss Toad, as she isn't powerful enough. Yet)

On the Plus Side:
    1) I came to this fic as someone who had never heard of WORM. The Naruto side got me to open it. It was well enough written to draw me in despite that and actually sparked an interest in WORM. As a result of this fic, ive started branching into the WORM fandom.
    2) Despite what seemed like a silly premise, it isn't a crack fic but takes itself somewhat seriously.
    3) The Author really progresses. The first few chapters are OK but didn't blow me away much. However, by the middle of the story I had noticed real improvement and by the end I was enjoying it a lot.
    4) On a side note, I thought the author handled different POVs pretty well. I enjoyed having the chance to look at Taylor through the eyes of other outside characters with their own agendas and bias.
    5) The author does a good job of not making the toads *Too* overpowered I think. They have limitations and are not always a trump card. Taylor did not seem overpowered in this to me

On the Other Hand
    1) I don't know about the WORM side (not familiar enough with the fandom) but on the Naruto side theres probably a little suspension of disbelief on some parts of canon to make this work. Theres a certain "alien space bat" feel to the opening and you just have to accept that somehow Taylor can summon the toads.
    2) It took me a little while to really get attached to the fic. Though that may be due to my lack of familiarity with WORM.
    3) There were a couple of side storylines that didn't pull me in. Though again that might be my lack of familiarity with WORM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Admittedly, not the best story of all time, but I had a lot of fun reading this.

My review from SV:

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I started reading this and while I *can* follow it well enough with my limited knowledge of Worm (I'm up through Chapter 5 of the fanfic and haven't read any of Worm)... I feel like there's not enough Naruto elements to keep me invested.

Is the only crossover aspect from Naruto the toads being summoned? I admit it's a great idea for a crossover and I'm 100% behind it... just not for a fandom (Worm) that I am not invested in.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. Nemrut

High Score:
    CheddarTrek Yeah, it's only the toads. No chakra for any of the humans or sage mode, although the toads certainly still have that. No other Naruto characters. It's what i like about it, tbh. but yeah, if you are reading this as a mainly Naruto fan, don't think it will be enough because while the toads play an important role, it is very much a Worm story.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just spent 20 minutes writing out an idea for a Harry Potter / Naruto crossover using the whole "summons are a thing that connect dimensions" concept.

I'll never write it. Probably.

But daaaaaamn. It'd be fun and I think I could make it work. :3

So yeah. Kudos to the author for the idea, even if I'd rather the primary fandom be a different one.

And thank you for the info on the story. I won't continue reading but it was worth the time anyway. I won't rate because I didn't read enough of it.

6. Nemrut

High Score:
  7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Surprisingly good story. I went in expecting crack or low-tier fiction, but it's pretty fun.

Some complaints: Taylor getting too good at h2h combat too fast, the tattoo girl's power being a bit too OP (like a deadlier, faster to switch out, simultaneous multiple creature Genesis), and some of the plot feeling a little silly or nonsensical. The fic isn't crack-- but it isn't afraid of approaching the weird line and occasionally crossing over.

The positives are: rapid and unashamed divergence from canon, decent characterization (except for Taylor, who feels a little off for hard to articulate reasons), snappy dialogue, fun action scenes, and the sheer joy of giant ninja toads in Worm.

4/5

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I got about halfway through this. It’s...not great, in my opinion, and that is mostly due to the writing. It’s extremely subpar. The vocabulary is repetitive and the prose is extraordinarily dull as a result. I just couldn’t slog my way through it.

3/5

9. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

The Great Toad Sage of Brockton Bay has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 40
    Words: 203,961
    Updated: 2018-12-21 00:27:02 UTC
    Published: 2016-01-04 00:28:29 UTC
    Previously updated: 4 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

10. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 41
    Words: 206,398
    Updated: 2020-01-06 01:00:11 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 year ago

11. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 42
    Words: 208,737
    Updated: 2020-01-15 03:51:21 UTC
    Previously updated: 9 days ago

12. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 212,136
    Updated: 2020-01-31 22:09:46 UTC
    Previously updated: 17 days ago

13. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 42
    Words: 212,012
    Updated: 2020-09-18 17:03:47 UTC
    Previously updated: 8 months ago