1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Gunblade Saga by Peptuck - T -

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scott, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Title: The Gunblade Saga
    Author: Peptuck
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Pairing: Squall/Rinoa
    Summary: Fate's game has ended. A hero has risen to save existence, and now only the future lies ahead of him and his comrades. A complete, written chronicle of Final Fantasy VIII. Finished at last!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1929596/1/The_Gunblade_Saga
    Solid 5/5. Anything by Peptuck is pretty awesome in my opinion and this has to be one of the best if not the best FFVIII Fanfics out there.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I dunno, I normally don't like strict novelizations of games, especially those I've played and beaten. You know, since I already know basically everything that will happen. It might be well-written as you say, but unless there are some AU aspects to it I'm going to pass.

Edit: Placed in For Review. Am I going to have to make a Goddamned sticky? I think I will.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I tried to read this a while ago, it's too unpolished, something Peptuck himself recognized since he started a rewrite (that he seems to have abandoned). It's not a strict novelization though, he diverges in random bizarre ways, mostly having to do with the military.

In general, anything Peptuck writes has way too many action scenes, and they aren't varied enough to be interesting past the first few. In one of his stories he had an immortal character and, yes, he actually described every single battle between him and the protagonist in blow-by-blow accounts. He's the Michael Bay of fanfiction.

3/5.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Jebus, whatever happened to putting Naruto fics up for reviews? I am not even sure how to comment on a video game fic when it isn't smut. Still the wrting is decent, maybe a 3.5?

Why did it have to FF8! Why! It is one of the worst failures of a romance ever,sigh. Almost as bad as NaruSaku.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I think it's because most of the Naruto fics worth reading have already been nominated or put into the archive. I actually didn't mind the way the Squall/Rinoa romance was done in the game. Or is it just the game itself you disliked?

6. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Well, after watching a fair bit of www.thespeedgamers.com 7 day Final Fantasy Marathon for Charity, and watching their guy play FF8 (and the other members doing FF7 & 9), I got thinking about the all those PSX Final Fantasys, which I will admit that I like all of them, in an order of 9 > 8 > 7 if you're curious.

Thinking about the plot of FF8, I remember about how unlikable a charater like Rinoa is. I personally would have liked Quistis to have been the female lead, who you know, actually expressed interest in Squall even when he was a dick, unlike Rinoa who is practically a toned down Mary Sue who can't do anything, not unlike Super!Ginny.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Most people just like Quistis because she has teh boobies, lol. I'm more partial to a Squall/Selphie pairing, personally (or Squall/Ellone, despite the quasi-incestuous nature of it). Xu would also work. I think their personalities would make for an interesting relationship. Quistis just kinda bores me, tbqh. There's not a whole lot of potential for interesting character interaction there. Not to mention that it would ultimately be bad for Squall. He needs someone who won't just put up with his shit, like Quistis does and would.

...I do, however, loathe the Quistis/Seifer pairing that a lot of authors use. It smacks of Leftover Syndrome to me, like when Eva writers pair up Kensuke and Rei for no real reason.

Back on topic, I did actually read some of this last night. The added scenes are a nice touch, though I really don't like taking dialogue verbatim from the game, and the battle scenes are a mite tedious. I'll give it an even 3/5.

8. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Eh, ALL the female characters (party members atleast) are pretty busty, it's not just Quistis, though I'll conceed the point.

9. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

If you want boobs try Lulu FF10: http://img53.imageshack.us/i/00008ju3.jpg/

Find me a character in the FF series with more bounce, if there is one.

10. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

11. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I personally haven't read The Gunblade Saga, but I have read its sequel, Legacy of the Chimera, which is wonderful. LotC is funny, action filled, and well-written. It also has a time-travel paradox even more mind-bending than the one in the game.

One of my favorite OCs in fanfiction is Peptuck's Hades, a GF who breaks the fourth wall more times than Spaceballs (which he quotes at one point), and is probably the funniest OC I've ever seen, while still managing to be a major threat. Some quotes from Hades:

And my favorite,

Of course, I love Peptuck's works in general, listing his Firefly fic Forward as one of my top five favorite fics. Anyway, if you're a fan of FFVIII, like well-written stories, or have a lot of time to kill, both of these are good to check out.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009